Spartan648

Smooth-On
Has yet again added a new resin to their line up its called
Shell Shock Brushable Liquid Plastic
Click the link below to goto Smooth-On

Hope this is of some help to somebody

Spartan 648

http://www.smoothonsecure.com/store/index....6402c949648b06a

Shell ShockTM is a thixotropic plastic that self thickens when mixed and can be brushed onto a variety of surfaces or into rubber molds. When Parts A and B are mixed in proper proportion (1A:3B by volume or 1A:5B by weight), material cures at room temperature with virtually no shrinkage to a hard, durable plastic that exhibits good compressive and flexural strength. Fully cured castings are rigid and can be sanded, primed and painted. Color effects are possible by adding SO-Strong Color Tints.
Shell ShockTM is ideal for making fast, lightweight rigid molds for creating silicone appliances and effects (use as a replacement for ‘stone molds'). You can also brush a "gel coat" into a rubber mold and back it up with rigid foam, creating a highly detailed lightweight casting. This product can also be brushed onto styrofoam (polystyrol) as an impact resistant coating that can be sanded, primed and painted (minimum 3 coats recommended). Shell Shock can also be used to make rigid support shells for brush on rubber molds.

Trial Kit = 3.6 lbs. [Part A in Metal Pint Can + Part B in 40-oz. Poly Jar]
Gallon Unit = 12 lbs. [Part A in in Metal Quart Can + Part B in Plastic Gallon Pail]http://

i seen this at the other forum, i was going to try this but i forgot to order it on my last shippment

I have worked with thixotropic self thickening casting compounds before and my experience is that they are not very good for capturing fine detail. The thickened material was like taffy... that is to say thicker than I wanted, and proved to be very hard to spread over my molds.

Maybe this stuff is different. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

This sounds cool, but i am concerned about how thick it is. it sounds like it would be a good product to use for my base of The Fist of the Master Chief project. i am concerned it wont pick up the fine detail on the fist. do you know what the consistency is like?

can you put this stuff directly on clay sculpt like a master cheif helmet clay scuplt with out dissforming the clay. and if you use this stuff as a negative cast instead of plaster, then can you directly put
on fiberglass for the positve molds made of fg

Loking :
most certainly not. as Sean mentioned its not good for picking up detail. a product like this would only be used for making a "Shell" , "Jacket" or "Mother mold" used with a Silicone/urethane mold.

Eternal :
Same again. if i were you i'm mold it in a tin silicone, and use it for a jacket.
i'd recommend a "Smooth Cast" by smooth on for your Fists. its like pouring water, but it will pick up the detail better. and will make for better and faster solid castings.

MiscreantPyro said:
I got my test kit a little while ago haven't used it yet but I'm looking forward to what I can do with this stuff.

Pyro, Which test kit did you get

I ordered a test kit of the brushable and the rotocast resin
both will be shipped when PermaFlex gets the roto cast resin
back in stock,

Spartan 648

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartan648 said:
MiscreantPyro said:
I got my test kit a little while ago haven't used it yet but I'm looking forward to what I can do with this stuff.

back in stock,

Spartan 648

The brushable kind I haven't opened it yet. Is there a different version of it then?

MiscreantPyro said:
Spartan648 said:
MiscreantPyro said:

back in stock,

Spartan 648

The brushable kind I haven't opened it yet. Is there a different version of it then?

No, Only one version of the Brushable resin
and one version of the roto-cast resin

Spartan 648

Spartan648 said:
MiscreantPyro said:
Spartan648 said:
MiscreantPyro said:

back in stock,

Spartan 648

No, Only one version of the Brushable resin
and one version of the roto-cast resin

Spartan 648

Oh you mean the Smooth-On Roto? I thought you were talking about some shellshock that was also roto or something. Yeah I've tried that, but I use the 300. Lots and lots of the 300.

link4044 said:
i love the brushable stuff

Ok, is there any more info you can share
like how well does it cling to a vertical mold wall
any thing, I am still waiting for my sample kit to arrive

Spartan 648

i havent tried putting it on vertical walls yet but it does seem to cling to it really well, it does pick up detail and its ez to demould......you can back it with bondo or fiberglass it is somewhat flexiable.......it takes pigment really well too, i use different kolors when adding a new layer

i might order more later on to do some armor with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back