New Forum Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

skope

Jr Member
Okay, so I'm a web designer with plenty of free time. So I was playing with the skin selector at the bottom, and I liked IP.Board Pro, but I thought it could be improved with some CSS customization. So I've started on the road to that goal.

So here's what it looks like now:
[attachment=2568:current.jpg]

and here's what I've got so far:
[attachment=2569:progress.jpg]

I kind of based it off of the Halo Wars look. I know we're probably not allowed to use the Halo font (yes/no?), but I'm just using it as a stand-in until I find the best font otherwise. There's a lot of little things on this page left to wrangle, and I'll have to rebuild the icons on the left. Then of course I'll have to go through each module and page to make sure everything is in line (here is the style guide).

So what do you think?

I like it, looks more halo-ey, nice color choice too. I'm not sure if you can or can't use the Halo font though. (I hope you can)

I like it, but I think the lines should be little more smoothed.

(I don't know if you understand me, but I find it look too straight.)

LastSpartan said:
I like it, but I think the lines should be little more smoothed.

(I don't know if you understand me, but I find it look too straight.)
I do understand what you mean, but I'm just basing this off of the existing skin. It's a hell of a lot of work to smooth out a liquid design like this skin. I may make another one based on the "Jet" skin later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice work - I'd certainly use it over this skin. It might, however, be worth designing a secondary skin with the 'Master Chief' colors (olive, orange and steel/black) after. I'll look into it.

Primal Weyland said:
Very nice work - I'd certainly use it over this skin. It might, however, be worth designing a secondary skin with the 'Master Chief' colors (olive, orange and steel/black) after. I'll look into it.
Figure out a color palette for me and I'll go at it (dark color, light color, 2 accent colors). Also an idea of a background in the form I have it up top: works with palette, non-visible pattern, subtle, and able to be faded into a median color.

Okay, the CSS is finished. I've asked Adam (via comment, since his inbox is full) if I can get a RAR of the style_images for the current skin to make sure every image fits the color scheme. Once that happens, we can go hot!

I have a request, if you're interested in making it.
A minimalist skin.

no sigs.
no user icons.
20px high thumbnails mandatory, linked directly to full.
no graphics, aside from simple geometrical grid.
simple grid layout, names to the left, messages to the right.
color of background user-choosable, you can grab a flash RGB chooser widget for that

This would make browsing so_much_faster.

Vrogy said:
A minimalist skin.

no sigs.
no user icons.
color of background user-choosable, you can grab a flash RGB chooser widget for that

I'll have to research IPB's system to make sure that's all possible, but I'll look into it.

Vrogy said:
A minimalist skin.

no sigs.
no user icons.

Most of the basics you ask for is already there if you click on Lo-Fi version at the bottom of the page. Only problem with that I find is there are no thread icons to let you know which have new posts in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back