New here, Hey! Can i get a custom suit made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notsonoble

Hey guys, just signed up today!

Was wondering if there is people who make suits for people to size etc. For cash of course i have really wanted a spartan suit for along time now i have saved cash in the bank i think now is my time if it is possbile. Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Notsonoble.

... well um you can learn how to make one on this site but we don't look too kindly on selling armor here so you came to the wrong place.

its not that "we don't look too kindly on selling armor here" as you put, but more like what eliteslayer032 said, we encourage people to make their own. its far cheaper and you learn alot in the process. the only downside is the time it takes to make one, other than that its great fun and you feel the pride and confidence that comes when you finish your suit.

there are "some", not many, people willing to sell suits but your talking 2k plus.

I've actually never seen anyone here selling an entire suit, unless it was in the classifieds and they were trying to get rid of it to make some room. I've never seen anyone take commissions to build a whole suit. People build helmets and weapons on occasion for others, but not very often. One reason that it's better to make your own is if you give the person building the suit a wrong measurement, and the suit does not fit properly after all that time waiting for it, the builder is not going to want to build another piece or you are not going to want to pay for another piece. And Omni Shift is right, you looking at the very least 2k. Anything less for a quality suit of armor would be insulting.

For 2k a suit, I might take that (it beats cleaning toilets for minimum wage). On another costuming club, we really caution against going to fleabay. You'd be surprised how a Rubies can look "good" with the proper paint and lighting and you get a pile of osik when you buy it.

Learn to build it yourself so you can make the proper customizations you want. Even with the proper measurements, it might not fit you perfectly. Not to mention, you feel better about wearing something that you make yourself.

For 2k a suit, I might take that (it beats cleaning toilets for minimum wage). On another costuming club, we really caution against going to fleabay. You'd be surprised how a Rubies can look "good" with the proper paint and lighting and you get a pile of osik when you buy it.

Learn to build it yourself so you can make the proper customizations you want. Even with the proper measurements, it might not fit you perfectly. Not to mention, you feel better about wearing something that you make yourself.

thats why i took the extra step and modified or remade my models in maya. the only sure fire way to get the exact size you need

The biggest problem with Rubies stuff is that they take some shortcuts that most find distasteful. In my other costuming club, we don't accept it for a number of reasons. Separately, they are not huge problems, but the fact that they are all together is the problem.

First, it is a costume, and is made of cheaper materials. It is not meant for extended wear and needs to be reinforced. It will cost a good amount to fiberglass it, rondo it, or otherwise reinforce it.

Second, it is a costume, and not made for close-up detail inspection. You will need to sand and cut it to make the details more defined. That means taking those reinforcements and cutting/sanding into them to get the details that you want.

Third, it is a costume, and not painted accurately. It is mass produced and the paint is set for certain areas only. Even then, after you perform the necessary modifications and reinforcement, you will need to primer and paint it again, anyway.

In the end, after buying the suit, reinforcing it, detailing it, and painting it, you have spent about twice the amount of money you would have from simply making it yourself. So, it is up to you which you would rather do.

Not to mention, if you are a little taller, shorter, wider, or thinner than the base model, the armor no longer fits you and still looks off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back