New Materials - PRIMER, EPOXY, And ALUMINUM

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i dunno what's the big deal about "bulletproof MC" :p it's not like ure catching gunfire in that suit. BUT if u intend to (xD) I hardly think u want to make the armor BulletProof, Make the underarmor bulletproof. The basics behind bulletproof fibers is not that they are hard or stiff, but quite the oposite, they are flexible enough to absorb the energy of the projectile and not get pierced by it.i would sugest BP underarmor since it covers a wider part of the body. u could add 1 or 2 layers of BP Kevlar (IF u can find it, that is :p) to the real armor as final layers (to make it a 2 part barrier, pretty much the same way space shuttles avoid being torn to pieces by space debris ^^). just my 2 cents here. i still think it's rather silly to try to make the suit bulletproof. let's say u manage to do it. would u give it a try? :p

Yes, your right about bulletproofing... But like I said, the stuff I will be using is a 'rubbery steel'. It can absorb any impact, and retain its shape. When the subs are under construction, where we lay the sub on this skeleton like undercarriage, we use tiles made of this material to lay the boat on, and boy are they tight corners to wear you think they would rip, or pierce... But not a mark. This material is as hard as steel, but swing a hammer into it, better hope your wearing a helmet. The bullet proof was just a test... The idea was never to make a bulletproof MC suit, but just a stronger version, where your able enough to wear, and kneel on, and really bang into things, and can take severe abuse without taking much damage, but when these materials are layered in this fashion, made this very flexible hard shell. I was curious, and had my friend bring over his pistol, and AK. Fired 1 shot from each into it from a distance. The AK almost went through, and the 9mm impregnated the plate with the bullet. I called my friend again, I may have exaggerated the width of the plate... Its about 1/2" thick, not 1/4". Remember, I said this stuff is called an incompressable material. Its usually used around special areas on the sub to prevent from getting crushed at deep depths from the pressure. I also got corrected at work today... The psi of water blasting wasn't 5,000... I guess I missed a 0. Its 36,000 to 50,000 psi. The conversation came up cause me, and my partner had to clean up areas of the boat where they had done it, and fiberous chucks were everywhere. Anyways, this project is not 100% yet. Me, and my friend are still thinking if it will be worth it, or just build it the conventional way of clay, or fiberglass... We are just afraid it would take too long with the material we wanted to use. But aluminum, and epoxy is still staying. Its the primer kits which will be hard to sneek out of the security check points. They are awkward shaped, and only come in small kits. Probably take about 5 kits pure layer, and then per body part. Hell, we are still not sure if we should build a mold with plaster, and silicone, or pepakura... Not sure which would yield the best results, in realism, and quality. We want a very heavy weight suit, and very durable.

Almost sounds like it would be easier to sneak in your own molds and just use the material while its at your place of work instead of sneaking the material out. Sounds like you could make it semi bullet resistant, or at least enough to probably save your life a little better than fiberglass would.

If the primmer stuff is pourable you should build a mold and pour the primmer in your cast. Then you wont have to worry about alluminum, shapping etc. Just pour the primmer in and you have a hard as hell suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back