New MKVI Armour build with pics.. Here we go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chriscamo

Hey guys and gals,

so i thought i'd start a thread with what i am getting up to and how it is coming along. I am very new to pepakura and new to the whole concept of 'making' armor (around 3/4 weeks) so found it all to be very daunting when I tried all of it out, but i have to admit , very fun to do and exciting to see the results.

so I will start by saying thank you to my 'mentor' (younger than me , damn it) Polythemus hes been very helpful with everything. before i just cutting all over the place and burning myself on the glue gun every time i turn it on.

from my first try: This was made with 120gsm paper and not worth a try

photo.png

which resulted in what can only be seen as a NO! I'd like to point out we have a new kitten who jumps on all my pep work so things are getting squashed.. so needed to try again.

my second try came up very very big. I do have a big head but this was huge..

image8.jpe

and today i finally finished something that was perfect for my size.This was made with 200gsm paper which is a perfect card stock paper

image3.jpe

image.jpe

Thanks to the noob forum i was able to find out what sizes I relatively need for my whole body. I also altered a few things on pep designer so that the equations relate similar to the photo shown below:

627px-Mark-VI.jpg

and today with this new helmet, i will be adventuring outside to resin and fibreglass this baby with David's FasttGlas Resin (as I'm in the UK) Isopon glass fibre and by tomorrow instead of the notorious Bondo, I will be using Isopon P38 Easy Sand.

before this last helmet however i have been a bit busy with my chest piece .. which was the HD Flying Squirrel PDO, TOO many small parts but made a great chest to use.

image12.jpe

image13.jpe

Next a gave my knife play a chance and came up with this :

image11.jpe

I seem to be getting into this pep work quite a lot and have a lot of freee time at the moment now I have my own business. My work station and area to keep my pep is looking a bit over crowded :)

image16.jpe

photo2.jpg

And my wife isn't even caring.. shes loving me just having a hobby that isn't Xbox haha (for Halo 4 im Chriscamo ;))

Anyway thanks for reading and ill be back to update you guys once I've started the 'Bondo' stage :)

Chriscamo

nice work man... you have a lot done already, and from expericence with pep i know that its rare to get it just right first time, where are you getting your resin & "Bondo" from seeing as i too am from the UK would be helpful for my build... keep up the good work.

COOKIES FOR YOU.

nice work man... you have a lot done already, and from expericence with pep i know that its rare to get it just right first time, where are you getting your resin & "Bondo" from seeing as i too am from the UK would be helpful for my build... keep up the good work.

COOKIES FOR YOU.

Hey cantium, I've got my stuff from halfords.. Just used the bondo style stuff and was so easy to use .. Most people are delicate but I've slapped it on as I'm a dab hand with a dremel craft tool and going to get my shape with that.. So what suit you making?

So I've resined , fibreglassed and 'Bondo's' (uk version) my helmet, next I'm going to sand it... wish me luck :)

image_zps63ba1402.jpg

Ive decided to re do the helmet for the fourth try.. its just not what im looking for... sucks i found that out AFTER the bondo and sanding. grrr

I have all the materials , and pepped my fourth helmet last night and did the resin work.. looks so much nicer... practice makes perfect i guess.

I used Polythemus' re arranged pep file and was so easy to put together

Hey cantium, I've got my stuff from halfords.. Just used the bondo style stuff and was so easy to use .. Most people are delicate but I've slapped it on as I'm a dab hand with a dremel craft tool and going to get my shape with that.. So what suit you making?

thanks for the info on where to buy :p

well I haven't started a project yet and likely wont till I go home from uni for the summer, (all my tools are 250 odd miles north of me atm) but when I do I am going to have a go at a mk7 master chief

Yay, I've been mentioned! :D You've made some good progress so far, I'm glad. Have you made any more recent progress? Also, have you been using my files at all? Keep up the good work, Chris.

Hey buddy long time no chat :) I've been so busy lately but I have done your new helm an using your files now.. They are sooo much easier to use than before ... Also I'm cuttin out resin and fibreglass and I'm going to use jesomite. It's stronger , ou can shape it within the first 24 hrs and its no toxic so my wife won't throw a fit haha

Hope you're doing well

Okay guys so a bit of an update, I've been away form the computer recently enough to upload what im doing, so here goes..

as ive expressed in other threads ive been using Jesmonite. a little bit more heavier but non toxic , no smell and the wife is fine with it ;)

here it was a week ago:

image1_zps1a88503a.jpg

nest thing i did after sandin away all the odds and ends were to try figure out my electronics. I put 2 fans at the front and lights ofcourse but used 3 x 3v battery packs.

image5_zps8e4dc4fc.jpg

image6_zpsc5277b30.jpg

this is where i missed a lot of steps and didnt take photos, I did my wt sanding, cutting the padding out of evo foam for the inside of the helmet, bult the back of the neck with leather and also a neck guard. paint job and fixed it all together... i will go in to detail in the coming days but this is the end result :)

image17_zpsdc75dac0.jpg

image21_zpsf5beaa0e.jpg

image24_zpse9f98c4d.jpg

image33_zpsbf836846.jpg

quick one of jesmonite before sandind ..

image10_zps9c3e28aa.jpg

also went a bit over board with the paint jobs.. I had 6 types of green, browns, reds, black, off black/blue etc all involved but its kinda made it look authentic but also as if some parts are mis shapen :/

image32_zps669c89fb.jpg

actually looking at larger images... i think ive done too much detail it looks like ive not sanded it ... dammmmnn itttt

actually looking at larger images... i think ive done too much detail it looks like ive not sanded it ... dammmmnn itttt

Looking good man. I had a similar scenario with mine and I must of sanded mine a dozen times now to try to get rid of high and low spots, dents, scratches, pits, air bubbles etc etc, I'm still not completely happy with the finish on mine but I'll end up rubbing it away until there's just a little ball left if I'm not careful.
Padding and trim on the inside look awesome and nice job on the fans too, visors fitted well and the lights are nice and bright.
Get the rest of the outside details done and it'll look real good man - nice one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back