New Odst Armor Started

Status
Not open for further replies.
SKG:

Old School indeed. It took two weeks to generate that image in the '486 era. Now it could be done in real time on the crappiest PC graphics card. I had a 20 machine cluster of SGI Irises chewing on it and just about every other UNIX box on campus I could get my hands on. Even an Ardent Titan. They wouldn't let me have time on the Paragon. And I had to walk 10 miles to work, uphill, both ways. :)

I wanted to do something not helmet related for a bit so I decided to make a shoulder buckle master and a mold. The master is sheet styrene cut and glued in a stack. It's symmetrical front to back so I only had to make one. A little bondo was added to fix a couple of details.

buckle1.jpg

I made a box from sheet styrene and filled it about halfway with clay (in the future I think I'll use wax). I embedded the master into the clay and dimpled a couple of registration keys before pouring the other half of the mold.

buckle2.jpg

I used Smooth-On's OOMOO 25 RTV rubber.

buckle3.jpg

After the RTV set up, I flipped the mold and removed the clay. A little clay stuck to the rubber but it won't affect the quality of the parts pulled from the mold. I could have cleaned it up some more but I'm lazy. I next coated the the rubber with Vaseline and poured the other half of the mold.

buckle4.jpg

buckle5.jpg

It's hard to get the corners in nooks and crannies to have sharp lines by sanding so I create a mold of sorts so I don't have to. I carved out a rough hole in the helmet were the vent detail goes and made a form from sheet styrene. I coat the form with a generous portion of bondo and stick it in place. After it hardens a bit I pull the form out and I'm left with a perfectly formed recess that needs minimal clean up.

helm14.jpg

helm15.jpg

Both ideas are really nice! Looks like the buckle will come out great. Nice idea for the indents as well. Bravo!

I havnt looked in here since you first got started and I'm speachless....

Your work is outstanding and I think this needs to be in the Elite Showcase ^^

Oh MAN!!! I miss SGI, and Linux hahahah it was SO different! Man, and here I'm whining about my machine, granted, he's a single core, but phew to have a small farm back then, WOW! Man 486's hhahahaha holy crap!!! Way back in the day. My Dad had a Tandy 486 kekekekek! You have my deepest respect :) I can't wait to see how the rest of the armor comes together :) I'm glad people are using our stuff as an armature base :)

rube. you are my inspiration.

I can't wait to see your armor finished!!
have you figured out how all the armor pieces attach to the undervest? that lower middle piece baffles me. i suppose it's something unexciting like glue or some hidden strap

keep it up!

Well i love the mold, but im not so crazy about the buckle. Its the correct shape and all, but is looks like your forgetting about the piece in the middle. The part where the belt is run though...?

I Do love the helmet and the armor parts, cannot wait to see your next piece! ;)

More thanks to all. I probably should have made the helmet a bit larger due to my swollen head.

The part of the buckle where the strap goes through will be a metal rod. I didn't forget. :)

Vents.
helm16.jpg

i am working on this same project although more of a custom build. weta helmet and custom body armor with some halo 2 parts. i am hoping my helmet turns out just as good as yours. you are amazing at detailing. one day i will be just as good, of course by then you will be better :D

Rube your work is amazing.
I am going to be starting my own O.D.S.T. project soon and I will definately use your ideas and tips for reference.
Thank you for sharing you knowledge and owning at making armor. :p

Tiny update.

Above visor detail.
det2.jpg

det1.jpg

Skyman:

I don't yet have a clue yet how I'm going to hang all the armor. As with most of my projects, I just wait until I get to that point and something usually suggests itself.

You're definitely a stickler for detail, that visor underside looks PERFECT!

Here, have a cookie:
[attachment=6899:CHOCOLAT...P_COOKIE.jpg]

Is that visor detail molded plastic?

Your stuff looks amazing. I hope my ODST helmet comes out half as good as yours. Superb work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back