New to the site, Ready to build an ODST helm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan137

Hey. I am new to this forum, and new to the concept of creating armor, but I am ready to begin.

I am trying to build an ODST helmet and I would apprecieate any helpful tips to get myself started.

Welcome to the site! Glad to see a new face. Well, you could try Pepakura. Look in the Pepakura And Cardboard armor forum, read the Sticky's, and use the search button.

Hope They help!

Read every pepakura sticky on this forum. That will teach you scaling, printing, folding/cutting/gluing, resining, fiberglassing, and some videos will teach you to paint.

also check out te tutorial thread, im not sure exactly where it is but i think its under the molding section, if not there it would be under the pep section. the thread has a link to just about every tutorial on the net.

That tutorial is listed in the molded section, many of the links are how to make stormtrooper armor, or related things, but the same concept works with just about all armor.

Welcome! How do you want to make your ODST helmet? If you want to be low cost try pepakura!

(wow that sounded like a robot lol)

I actually plan to spend a long time on this (possibly 2-3 YEARS), and not just doing the helm. My overall objective is to create a FULL SUIT of ODST battle armor. I plan to mold to whole thing. Ambitious, but what ever. I'm not going to start out with a full sized helm. I'm starting with something a bit bigger than a tennis ball, and then mold and reproduce it.

I am currently doing some research, and there are a couple of things I don't know.

1. How would you model arm plates, thigh plates, chest plates, etc? With the Helm, I am placing it over a skating helmet for sizing purposes, but what for those plates? Would I be able to use a manaquin if I could aqcuire one?

2. Cutting the visor. How do you cut the visors that you get from motorcycle supply stores? Seem kind of hard to scale...

3. I plan to use actual Urban Charcoal BDUs. How would you fasten the plating to the BDU?

4. Coloring and Painting. For ODSTs, would you use a dark grey sort of color, a black color or what. Would it be a good idea to spray on some sort of rubber? To add grip?

5. Ventilation. In the helmet, should I cut ventilation holes?

6. Thickness. Is there any way I could make thicker armor plates without sucking up huge amounts of Smoothcast 300?

If I think of any new questions, I'll post them.

actually, if you take a close look, their theigh and arm plates are painted urban camo :p
19746579-Full.jpg

front and back
19746847-Full2.jpg

Dootuz said:
Maybe for the under armor you could sue a Urban camo BDU? (Do they make that?)
my point is that they wear black under their armor, not urban camo. its just that some of their plates are painted urban. and yes they do make those in bdu's

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartan137 said:
I actually plan to spend a long time on this (possibly 2-3 YEARS), and not just doing the helm. My overall objective is to create a FULL SUIT of ODST battle armor. I plan to mold to whole thing. Ambitious, but what ever. I'm not going to start out with a full sized helm. I'm starting with something a bit bigger than a tennis ball, and then mold and reproduce it.

I am currently doing some research, and there are a couple of things I don't know.

1. How would you model arm plates, thigh plates, chest plates, etc? With the Helm, I am placing it over a skating helmet for sizing purposes, but what for those plates? Would I be able to use a manaquin if I could aqcuire one?

2. Cutting the visor. How do you cut the visors that you get from motorcycle supply stores? Seem kind of hard to scale...

3. I plan to use actual Urban Charcoal BDUs. How would you fasten the plating to the BDU?

4. Coloring and Painting. For ODSTs, would you use a dark grey sort of color, a black color or what. Would it be a good idea to spray on some sort of rubber? To add grip?

6. Thickness. Is there any way I could make thicker armor plates without sucking up huge amounts of Smoothcast 300?

If I think of any new questions, I'll post them.
I dont think it will take 2-3 years if you make it molded, unless you are making it fully metal plated, welded and such, but if you want basic thick plastic armor, it wont take 2-3 years if you have a nice summer.

Spartan137 said:
There's some techniques around for making a mannequin of yourself.. basically you wrap yourself with saran wrap, then duct tape over it several layers.. cut it off, tape up the cuts, stuff it with newspaper/clothing/foam/whatever.
Or you can work from measurements.

Spartan137 said:
Tin snips would work, dremel would work, bandsaw would work...

Spartan137 said:
Depends, do you want to ever remove it? If not, pop rivets or glues might work. If so, laces which tie inside the clothes might do well, also velcro, magnets..

Spartan137 said:
From what I've seen of them, anything from black to dark grey, depending upon the part. Some parts might need other colors, or to be covered in fabric like the forearms.. and it depends on the version of ODST you want to do.. I'm not sure if the rubberizing will be a good idea. Usually the stuff I've tried bonds weakly to whatever you spray it on. Black epoxy might be better.

Spartan137 said:
Sure, why not? You might even look for a feature on the helmet which can be replaced with a fine mesh, and put ducts and small fans inside.

Spartan137 said:
You might be able to use rubberizing sprays designed for truck liners to coat the backside of castings, or fill in mostly hollow castings with spray-on foam.

Good idea with using duct tape to make a mannequin vrogy, you could then use gap filler or something similar to put a layer on it for extra strength.

Resin or hot gluing the outside would make a stronger dummy. Hot glue would be a bit rougher though, but non toxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back