Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Jr Member
Hi, just found this site tonight, very cool...

Got that pepakura program downloaded and the models...

I was wondering has anyone used paper mache to strengthen their armor instead of fiberglass? how would that hold up... how is it even made (I think the last time I used it was in kindergarten...)

My other question was has anybody built their helmets on top of a motorcycle helmet? would that work, or are the helmets too big? (want to be able to wear the helmet while riding )

Thanks for the site, tutorials, and files.

I think that for the weight to rigidity ratio, the weight would be too high, and if you ever dropped it it would break rather easily I think.

That being said, I too havnt used it since kindergaten, so you might try building a foot or a hand piece and try it out on something small.

I'd use resin man it isnt too expensive and for all the time you put in you might as well get it right the first time. You can use paper machee for supporting it during the resin process. Like instead of useing cardboard supports.

Take one part elmers with one part water and mix it up. then shred paper. dip it in the mix and slap it on neatly. also paint on some mix to help the paper stay on.

And yes a motorcycle helmet will work since like 5 people on here have done that. Id use a baseball helmet though. a motorcycle helmet is kinda pricey and a little bulky.

Umm Theblue on here has for his first helmet it turned out really bad and he made a better one. So i reccomend not trying it.

Thanks for the replies, I will have to read those resin tutorials over (when it isn't 3am, and my brain is working at least a little...).

I'm not worried about the cost of the motorcycle helmets (actually if you're not too worried about safety you can find cheap ones on ebay), I was wondering because I would like to be able to ride my bike down to pick up halo 3 when it comes out (assuming I was done in time, although thats a pretty tight schedule I think)... And you're not allowed to ride here without a proper dot approved helmet.

Jim said:
Hi, just found this site tonight, very cool...

Got that pepakura program downloaded and the models...

I was wondering has anyone used paper mache to strengthen their armor instead of fiberglass? how would that hold up... how is it even made (I think the last time I used it was in kindergarten...)

My other question was has anybody built their helmets on top of a motorcycle helmet? would that work, or are the helmets too big? (want to be able to wear the helmet while riding )

Thanks for the site, tutorials, and files.

I have been using mache for my helm and armor and it is absolutly strong enough and 1/10 the weight.I have done test pieces that ive tried to bend bang and crush its great.The stuff i used is Activa celluclay,its like apowder mache.It finishes great.non toxic do it in the kitchen.
BUT! you need to seal it with sealent spray or youll be a walking puddle of pulp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks,

I guess I should have read all the stickies

Anyways, does anyone have links to pictures/details of the helmets that were made on motorcycle helmets? I searched but couldn't find them...

Jim said:
Hey thanks,

I guess I should have read all the stickies

Anyways, does anyone have links to pictures/details of the helmets that were made on motorcycle helmets? I searched but couldn't find them...

I don't know of anyone who has used a motorcycle helmet, i have seen baseball helmets though.

at http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...amp;hl=baseball

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back