Noble Six Helmet Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spartan 051 said:
what are you using to support the helm? but great tip i will have to try it out when i have some spare cash

put news paper on the inside filled about half way and packed pretty tight and then a plastic container for the base

and then packed paper around that, an also i put more clay on the top to hold the weight better, but i havent had any

problems with it warping the top which i was worried about. anyways it was a simple no cost way to fill the inside an

it turned out working great.

Last edited by a moderator:
insanetrooper said:
put news paper on the inside filled about half way and packed pretty tight and then a plastic container for the base

and then packed paper around that, an also i put more clay on the top to hold the weight better, but i havent had any

problems with it warping the top which i was worried about. anyways it was a simple no cost way to fill the inside an

it turned out working great.

Could you post pictures to help explain, I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing this....although it does seem to be a very revolutionary method in making helmets for the near future, I'd like to try this!

insanetrooper said:
if anyone sees something i should add or adjust or whatever let me know.

Not sure if this kinda stuff bothers you but the protruding part in the back seems to be a tad bit uneven.

woogiewoogiewoogie.png

Love how well you did with a paper mold, I'm guessing you smoothened out the tab indents? Had that problem with hotglue but I guess it's an easier fix with clay, keep up the great work man :)

What clay is it that you are using? Sorry if its already been posted I have to hurry up and get off so I don't have time to read through the whole topic.

agbates said:
What clay is it that you are using? Sorry if its already been posted I have to hurry up and get off so I don't have time to read through the whole topic.

I'm using Chavant NSP medium clay.

Yayu said:
Not sure if this kinda stuff bothers you but the protruding part in the back seems to be a tad bit uneven.

Love how well you did with a paper mold, I'm guessing you smoothened out the tab indents? Had that problem with hotglue but I guess it's an easier fix with clay, keep up the great work man :)

yeah some of the tabs didnt get glued and got kinda stuck but it was a easy fix. and the part on the back you showed i didnt notice untill i took the picture and that kinda thing would drive me nuts haha but i worked on the back lastnight and got it looking more even

AceHigh said:
Is this the first time you are using clay to sculpt? What other types of crafts have you done in the past?

Yeah this is the first time really sculpting anything serious out of clay, ive worked with regular clay in the past but just little things for fun

and i used to build plastic models an boat models for years and then doing pep work over the past few months

Is the clay like rock solid? If so, how are you carving the clay, are you sanding it or something, what tools are you using? And what kind of clay is it, is it an oil based clay? Basically how is the process done? At what temperature did you melt the clay at, what did you melt it in, and are the fumes harmfull, if there are any fumes to begin with? How did you pour the clay in it, without any initial strength on the outside (like resin to begin with), are you adding clay on as you go? I understand I am asking a lot of questions, oh and one more, is it proned to crack easily, and are you going to cast it once it is finished? :)

P.S. Did you slush it around to get the layers even? =P

Wow, I hadn't ever thought of doing anything like this, but it would save a lot of time spent sculpting. I think that a tutorial would be much appreciated! If I ever get into molding/casting helms, I'll have to use this to make things easy!

Cheers!

ForgedReclaimer said:
i have Junes helm covered.

Grrr..... I'm working on it right now.... I guess yours'll be better though lol ;)

Altair651 said:
Is the clay like rock solid? If so, how are you carving the clay, are you sanding it or something, what tools are you using? And what kind of clay is it, is it an oil based clay? Basically how is the process done? At what temperature did you melt the clay at, what did you melt it in, and are the fumes harmfull, if there are any fumes to begin with? How did you pour the clay in it, without any initial strength on the outside (like resin to begin with), are you adding clay on as you go? I understand I am asking a lot of questions, oh and one more, is it proned to crack easily, and are you going to cast it once it is finished? :)

P.S. Did you slush it around to get the layers even? =P

lol wow where to begin!

the clay is not rock solid but it is pretty hard when it is cool, the more i touch it or the warmer the room is the softer it is, its too soft for sanding but when i do my final smoothing i will show a pretty cool method i learned, I used Chavant NSP Medium clay, the clay melts at 180 degrees F. it didnt make any fumes really it kinda smells like oily wool when melted, an i just melted in a old pot on the stove,i just melted about a pound of clay at a time and i poured it in kinda using a slush method, and i just poured it in the pep model and got a good layer covering the entire inside and let it cool an that gave it its strength, some spots i am adding clay where needed like low spots, also no i havent seen a single crack and yes i DO plan on casting when it is finished. with my next pic post i will try an post pics of my tools, they are pretty simple clay tools and a couple dentist tools.

agbates no its not solid clay buts its about 2" thick all the way around and then newspaper to fill the inside and a plastic container for a base.

ALSO yes I will gladly make a tutorial when im closer to being finished, i have a ton more reference pics on how to do this and i think everyone should try this way atleast once its worked great for me. ill call it the clay build on a budget tut haha

Quick update. got the entire helmet carved down and shaped pretty much how i want it and did the first smoothing today to show the imperfections and

getting ready to start adding the details.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back