Noob mold maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, i have just about finished a pep armor set and i am eager to try out mold making.

I have read all the stickys and stuff but there are still a few questions that are lingering.

1. When you sculpt, do you have to do it all in one go. If the clay drys can you still go back and make changes. People say that you should take your time with the sculpting but if it drys i dont get how that works. Also are there any techniques for beginner sculptors.

2. I still dont under stand what a parting seam is or how i make one. A video showing how one works or a good explination would be awsome!

just looking for some clarifacation

Also if there any tutorials that i cant seem to find please post them here

thanks

P.S some starting advice would be nice!

The clay wont dry if it is oily clay, it will stay moist forever....wll maybe not forever, but i'd say for a long time, no one is gonna sit there for hours scultping the pieces in one go, they take breaks and such, such as, first tossing the shape of the helmet together, take a break, then come back, smoothen it, and sculpt detail with clay carving/sculpting tools. If you work slowly, you could actually make other pieces of armor with the same piece of clay, if you finish and mold the helmet, you wont really need to keep the clay in the same shape, so use it for a leg or arm piece. You could also use pepakura as a base for scaling, place a pep helmet by a clay one just for sizing, you may end up making something too big or too small if your a beginner.

AoBfrost said:
The clay wont dry if it is oily clay, it will stay moist forever....wll maybe not forever, but i'd say for a long time, no one is gonna sit there for hours scultping the pieces in one go, they take breaks and such, such as, first tossing the shape of the helmet together, take a break, then come back, smoothen it, and sculpt detail with clay carving/sculpting tools. If you work slowly, you could actually make other pieces of armor with the same piece of clay, if you finish and mold the helmet, you wont really need to keep the clay in the same shape, so use it for a leg or arm piece. You could also use pepakura as a base for scaling, place a pep helmet by a clay one just for sizing, you may end up making something too big or too small if your a beginner.

thanks. that cleared it up

im still confused about the parting line thingy

any video to show it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a search. Look in the Armor Related Videos section. Adam has posted at least 2 videos of mold making.
Go to the molded armor section, falcon NL made a thread called [Central] Moldmaking for Newbies. Sean also has a thread on moldmaking.

Ruze789 said:
Do a search. Look in the Armor Related Videos section. Adam has posted at least 2 videos of mold making, and somebody else made a thread called moldmaking central or something to that effect.

i cant find anything

Could you send me the links if u happen to know where they are.. Ill still check when i get home from school but if u come across it please post it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you finished a pep set of armor and if its of any good quality you can use that as a base and mold off of that. Spaze I think has done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back