Noob pep question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PillarofAutumn

i was able to get the foam pep template for my armor downloaded and printed, but I'm confronted with a dilemma: some of the pattern pieces appear to have overlapping sections. How should I address this while cutting pieces out?

Also, I'm guessing that I need to cut on fold lines, so would it be wise to run a spare copy of the template to build in paper as a 3d pattern for how each piece should look when assembled?

;ldsajfjahvlksanvuanskjndljdsana;f;ldsa

If I understand you correctly, I think you got something wrong. The unfold might need to be tweaked. There shouldn't be overlapping parts anywhere. In the event there IS an over lap, you might need to go back into Pep designer / Viewer / whatever you've got, and separate the part in such a way there won't be any overlap. If that's not an option, you can piece another sheet of cardstock to the pattern in the shape that was cut off, but that is likely to cause more problems if you're not super careful.

A spare copy of the template will yield similar results. You'd have to figure out the original issue. Do you have a picture of the parts in question?

I can get some here in a bit; taking care of a few projects in the office right now. Once I have an example, will edit this comment

It's several pieces that have this issue. The overlaps aren't big, but they're enough that I don't know how to address

EDIT: example picture uploaded. I'm using the H5 Mjolnir Gen.2 Helljumper full armor foam pattern

IMG_3993.JPG

Ok, I have taken your picture, and raise you a helpful suggestion. I have drawn a red line with an arrow to indicate where I would sever the piece. This will give you one more piece to attach, but should easily and without fuss resolve the issue.
help the cut.png

So cut there and splice out the overlapping piece to be its own? Sorry for needing clarification; just want to make sure I'm reading right

Yup. Just cut that piece off in the software and reattach it when you construct the thing. BAM, done.

Not all unfolds are created equal unfortunately. After some experience you'll find that you will want to tweak files before printing them out of habit and preference.

There are also times when modifying the pattern is necessary. You can sometimes get away with simply creating your own edge line that meets the original pattern somewhere in the middle. If you look at the bicep tutorial by EVAKura, he does that, and it works just fine. But other times it is impossible to negotiate with terrorists, and you have to cut and modify and re print and all that jazz. It just depends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back