Noob progress...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawndart

So I'm the new guy in town and I wanted to stop in and start a progress thread showing my attempt at armor. Quite by coincidence I discovered Pepakura earlier in the month, so I was excited to see this section of the forum with all the great model references.

I printed out all of the helmet patterns and after a bit of number madness (after a while, don't they all just look the same?) I was abl eot come up with this:

1251583600_46f984ea0f.jpg
1250719305_6eb2383b09.jpg
1250731661_78eec07f02.jpg

It's a pretty sweet beginning to the whole deal. Today I'm going to stop down at the hardware store and pick up some fresh resin and glass and start making it solid. I'll post progress pics in the the appropriate thread but I wanted to share these here first. I'm super stoked already and couldn't wait to do a little show an tell.

more soon!

And here's the new Master Chief Bobble-Head!...
1251629868_821bac2841.jpg

nice work, i start my first pep helm tonight! so far so good! how long did it take you to put it together? all i can suggest for tips is NEVER stop reading lol, i must have read this whole forum 4 times now.. i like to be completely prepared before I start anything!

take care, and keep the updates coming!

Thanks for the kudos!

It took me a couple of days. Mostly because I got half way through assembly before I realized I had been folding and gluing it all backwards. I was folding my "hills and valleys" opposite of correct and shot myself in the foot.

All in all, it took a few hours of precision (I'm a bit annal about detail) scoring, cutting, gluing, and assembly but it was worth it.

Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

the attention shows, it really does. looks fantastic. cant wait to see how this project unfolds.

got a couple questions...

what did you use for glue? hot glue gun?

also.. scoring? what does that mean lol, i kno its real noob question, but ive asked it a couple times now, an no one answers (i think they assume im kidding :S)

thanks!

Scoring is taking a pen, or some other mildy sharp object and cutting just a bit of material away from the dotted lines, making for cleaner, easier folding.

Twisted... The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked...or something like that. As Drgon47 noted, "scoring' is using some tool to press into the paper. By lining up a small ruler or straight edge along the dotted fold lines and running a tool along the edge you shape the paper into a fold line. I use a standard X-acto knife
x3627.jpg
with a #11 cutting head
x411.jpg
(it's more technical than it sounds, it's the most common triangle shaped blade) for all of my cutting, and for added convenience I just flip it over and use the other side as my scoring tool. I'm at work right now, but if I remember when I get home I'll take some pictures.

As for the glue, I use a common variety of "Tacky" glue. The Aieen's Tacky glue
Tacky%204oz.jpg
can be found at most hobby, craft, and hardware stores. It's a great adhesive for paper. In thin amounts it's very sticky and dries fast. It's like the Elmer's glue you used back in school only a bit more gooey.

Anyway, I hope this helps. And if you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask. I'm always here to help.

In my own camp I made a little progress last night. In the half hour I was able to escape to the garage I was able to put a quick light coat of resin on the helmet. Tonight if there's time I'll add a couple of "hot" coats and start glassing the inside. Here's a pic:

1259297072_093e89e7e8.jpg

more to come...

I was recently approached with a question that I thought might be nice to share. I hope it helps at least one person out there.....

Q: "I was wondering, how do you know at what angle you need to fold the paper? I am new to the whole pep scene, and you just started your first helmet (that looks very promising)."

Thanks for the kudos and the great question! While as first this might seem like a easy question, It's based on a very reasonable mistake that I made myself.

If you've been able to get Pepakura to open your file (check the other threads for info) then here's what you'll need to know about folding.

Once you have your model open, go through everything. Click every button and open every drop down list as this is the best way to learn all the aspects of the program (there really aren't that many). I wish I had done this before I folded and glued half of my helmet inside out and backwards. Yep I had been folding "hills" where I should have been folding "valleys" and had to start over (no small amount a time wasted mind you).

Follow these steps in order to make sure you're folding the right way:
In the program, go to the top menu and click on "Configuration" and select the first drop down item titled "Line Style Configuration". This will not only show you what all the line styles mean but give you the opportunity to change them if you like. The default makes dashed lines for "mountains" and dash/dotted lines for "valleys" . I chose to leave mine in the default setting and went from there but you can customize them to the style that you like. Also to make it easier you might "score" (indent the lines) on the page before you cut out the shapes. I found this to be more precise...and I'm a bit of a stickler for detail.

I Hope this helps any of you out there that are as confused as I was. If there are other questions floating around your workspace regarding Pepakura, fabrication, molding and casting, and faux finishing don't hesitate to ask.

Looks Great! I'm starting to do the same thing like you and can I ask what sort of paper you are using? Is it like just plain white paper or something else cause I'm not sure what paper can hold it. *Note I'm a noob trying to attempt this. :p

well it looks like you mad the helm a little big for yourself.

Monkeygod-use thicker paper then computer paper. i use 100 or 120 weight i think

well i had a little question , but i dont know if your able to answer it .....about how much fibreglass mat should i need to make a very sturdy helmet? thanks

Damien said:
well you get 8 sq. feet of it, that should do it. but do not use all of it

ok thank you Damien , that helps alot ....i seen only one pack left at the store i was using for my fibreglass and resin and whatnot ....i dont even have the armour yet but im going to get everything i can before i do so i will be able to start as soon as i get the cardstock...im also going to try that kool way of painting on adams tutorial....

Last edited by a moderator:
lawndart said:
So I'm the new guy in town and I wanted to stop in and start a progress thread showing my attempt at armor. Quite by coincidence I discovered Pepakura earlier in the month, so I was excited to see this section of the forum with all the great model references.

I printed out all of the helmet patterns and after a bit of number madness (after a while, don't they all just look the same?) I was abl eot come up with this:

1251583600_46f984ea0f.jpg
1250719305_6eb2383b09.jpg
1250731661_78eec07f02.jpg

It's a pretty sweet beginning to the whole deal. Today I'm going to stop down at the hardware store and pick up some fresh resin and glass and start making it solid. I'll post progress pics in the the appropriate thread but I wanted to share these here first. I'm super stoked already and couldn't wait to do a little show an tell.

more soon!

And here's the new Master Chief Bobble-Head!...
1251629868_821bac2841.jpg
sick job but how do u put it together like i printed all the pieces out now how do i know were to cut glue or fold are there instructions

xalener said:
gonna add detail when the glassing's done?

hey was that a question for me or for lawndart? of course i would put details in when im done ...i want mine the best it can be ....and i belive lawndart is older then me so he might have more patience to do this kind of stuff haha ....myself, i would get frustrated probly half way through, Dallis

Wow. I kind of fell of the face of the earth there.

I've been a way for a bit and have some sad news to report. While waiting in the garage for the next run of fiberglass and resin, the helmet shown above was smashed in a horrible falling mattress accident...don't ask.

The good news is that, thanks to the hard work of folks like robogenesis and flying squirel who have provided excellent models, I'll be starting over with a new halo 3 helmet and HD armor.

I'll be sure to post any progress in a new thread. In the meantime, if any of you have questions about fabrication, fiberglass, resin, bondo, paint and air brush, faux finishing, etc. ... don't hesitate to post me a message. I plan to be more active on the boards in the coming months once school starts to slow down.

Until then,

Good luck and good building....

Lawndart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back