Noobs first build ever, Halo 3 Mk. VI, With multiple weapon builds! [Wip] [Pic Heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: M6D PDWS Finished!

Hey, guys! As promised, I built a weapon. The M6D pistol. This thing was one of the most annoying things to pep. Floating faces, unattached areas, SMALL pieces. I seriously wonder how people like Robot Chicken do that super high detail stuff, congrats to all of you who can do that. Since it's getting really rainy up here in Washington, I decided to pep as much as I can until I have the right-ish conditions for resin, etc.

I used the file from the Halo costuming wiki index.

How I attached floating pieces:
115E5518-1601-47D1-9B43-C2AA28E91B99_zps8728msls.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Other view:
FDA58A87-BDB2-4358-9A40-79CC1FCA46C9_zps9yvkpggc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I filled in the hollow small pieces with some high temp hot glue to prevent collapsing until I can slush-cast or rondo the inside:
88D4B855-F620-4B2B-A188-A73328523A77_zpsirpm4flu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A little bit of progress:
361D16FC-C38D-42A0-A2BF-6F4DA16764F0_zpse9zlprwk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Handle and Mag:
7B56BB3A-43C2-4F97-38F-5668D0262055_zps5q6iwcxu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sizing seems ok :)
8403CA42-C843-41E6-B963-75361291A150_zpsys320pxv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

3/4 done!
1A0D29FB-E8A3-48DF-82D8-BB8F1CF358AE_zpsb9iansil.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Finished!
1E27EAE9-1BB0-45B2-BD22-DFD78EFA9710_zpsfrobdqpe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

First Person View. Could be a little straighter, but I'll wait until resin and bondo. It'll probably be sanded and smoothed to look straight:
69421B45-1F66-49BF-AC22-D2FEF7C05FEB_zpsh6wyw2iy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

All my pieces:
6A3A3920-2B33-4657-8E66-9E14146DFB53_zps5keouv7o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I might think about making a working slide to "cock" the gun, but this is my first weapon, so we'll see. I might be able to get my dad to help me out with mechanics and such.

That's all for this update! I'll get to work on my MA5C, and if the weather clears up a little, I'll do some resin as soon as possible. Hope you guys like my build so far :) Feel free to comment.

Aww, that's a shame. Are you gonna retry? If you do, I recommend starting with the easier pieces and work up to the helmet.

Yeah, I am going to work on some other pieces like the Energy sword, before attempting another helmet.....if I can find the file for the entire sword.

MA5C UPDATE 1/2: Joining 2 big pieces?

Hi, everyone! So I've been building the MA5C and I'm pretty proud of it, and there are 2 pieces left that I need to join in order to be complete.

F*** this piece with a rusty umbrella made of razor blades:
IMG_5938_zps70eca5bc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mag and ammo counter:
IMG_5939_zps6f9d39ad.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Constructing this part was really fun :) a nice break from the ling of the ammo counter:
IMG_5942_zps36cd3399.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ready to start final assembly:
IMG_5946_zps096c03df.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ok, so here is where my problem is:
IMG_5947_zpsaead7831.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I try to join the two together but the paper moves away from the edge:
IMG_5948_zpsd0609516.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So Does anyone have any ideas or tips? I'm really pissed off about this:
IMG_5949_zpscc3b593b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's all for now. Nice piece of info, if tomorrow is like today, I will start resin! But bad news too. My cat decided to go to the bathroom on my codpiece, so I have to re-build it.

Honest advice? Pep is a bad medium for weapons. Believe me, I've tried enough myself to realise that. The sooner you abandon Pep builds for weapons and move onto sturdier mediums, the less of a headache you'll get.

Try doing some research on the forums for better mediums - cardboard is good for a start, or you could follow Tactonyx' styrene builds for a little inspiration. It'll take some practise, but I honestly believe that you'll be able to get superior results out of other materials. That aside, you may want to move away from hot glue to other adhesives such as UHU, since I'm noticing a lot of beading and bulging from your glue bunching up. Plus, hot glue is a pain in the rear end to sand and deal with past the bondo stage.

Your pepped weapons look great but what Arcanine says is true, pep is one of the more difficult ways to make weapons. There is a method called the sliced method which involves stacking together many layers of material which can range from cardboard to foamcore. In the end this makes a sturdy, light weapon that just requires some detail work.

Honest advice? Pep is a bad medium for weapons. Believe me, I've tried enough myself to realise that. The sooner you abandon Pep builds for weapons and move onto sturdier mediums, the less of a headache you'll get.

Try doing some research on the forums for better mediums - cardboard is good for a start, or you could follow Tactonyx' styrene builds for a little inspiration. It'll take some practise, but I honestly believe that you'll be able to get superior results out of other materials. That aside, you may want to move away from hot glue to other adhesives such as UHU, since I'm noticing a lot of beading and bulging from your glue bunching up. Plus, hot glue is a pain in the rear end to sand and deal with past the bondo stage.

Hey, Arcanine, thanks for the insight. I think that for my next weapon I'll be doing a sliced build because I have way too many cardboard boxes, and I'm pretty handy with foam board. I was thinking of maybe taking an empty glue gun to the beaded areas if that isn't dangerous to the gun?

Your pepped weapons look great but what Arcanine says is true, pep is one of the more difficult ways to make weapons. There is a method called the sliced method which involves stacking together many layers of material which can range from cardboard to foamcore. In the end this makes a sturdy, light weapon that just requires some detail work.

As said to Arcanine, my next weapon'll probably be foam board or cardboard. I just want to finish up the MA5C.

I was thinking of maybe taking an empty glue gun to the beaded areas if that isn't dangerous to the gun?

I don't think so, but you may want to check on a scrap piece before you do so. Either that, or a sharp knife should be able to remove your excess.

As said to Arcanine, my next weapon'll probably be foam board or cardboard. I just want to finish up the MA5C.[/QUOTE]

A soldering iron will definitely damage what you're trying to remove your glue from. Use a knife.

Nice work!

Lol to the excess glue. I've been there. Problem solving is always a part of armour building though.

I haven't even attempted weapon building. As mentioned above it is very hard. I ended up buying a retro lancer for my Clayton Carmine Build and modding/painting nerf Guns for Carmine and Halo build.

Nice work!

Lol to the excess glue. I've been there. Problem solving is always a part of armour building though.

I haven't even attempted weapon building. As mentioned above it is very hard. I ended up buying a retro lancer for my Clayton Carmine Build and modding/painting nerf Guns for Carmine and Halo build.

Hey Iron, thanks! Your work looks awesome! I'll be building sliced weapons from now on most likely, unless it's a grenade or something. But I might take a crack at modding a nerf gun! I have a ton lying around, but I need to step up my attachment-crafting and painting skills

For the last glue tab try this. You're going to need pressure from the inside and outside. How about popsicle stick/wood craft stick. Break two pieces to the size of the tab. Drill two holes in them at the 1/3 and 2/3 spot. Feed some string/thin wire/fishing line/garbage bag twist tie through both holes. After that glue one piece on the inside of the tab. When you glue the tab to the paper, feed the wire or whatever you used through the second piece and pull on the wire. This should pull on the inside craft stick and apply pressure from the inside. Never tried this before so test on scrap pieces first!

Basically your making a sandwich type clamp using craft sticks. The wire serves to pull the two pieces together with the pep piece and tab in between them. After the glue is set the wire gets pulled out and the inside craft stick stays there forever.

For the last glue tab try this. You're going to need pressure from the inside and outside. How about popsicle stick/wood craft stick. Break two pieces to the size of the tab. Drill two holes in them at the 1/3 and 2/3 spot. Feed some string/thin wire/fishing line/garbage bag twist tie through both holes. After that glue one piece on the inside of the tab. When you glue the tab to the paper, feed the wire or whatever you used through the second piece and pull on the wire. This should pull on the inside craft stick and apply pressure from the inside. Never tried this before so test on scrap pieces first!

Basically your making a sandwich type clamp using craft sticks. The wire serves to pull the two pieces together with the pep piece and tab in between them. After the glue is set the wire gets pulled out and the inside craft stick stays there forever.

Wow, that sounds like it could work. Very clever! I might try this after giving it one more try without a special contraption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back