(Null).exe's Half-Life 2 Hev Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those panels across the abdomen, you could use blue camp pad foam (it's just a little bit thicker than craft foam, so I think it'd look more like armor), wrapped in a tight fitting bag sewn up from black cotton duck.

th_ODSTPouch032.jpg

This is a piece from my ODST soft armor, which shows how it looks. One thing I'd recommend is using a spray glue to glue the front piece of cloth down to he foam. If the parts get much above 4x4 inches, the cloth will pull away from the foam a little, and look goofy.

Loess said:
For those panels across the abdomen, you could use blue camp pad foam (it's just a little bit thicker than craft foam, so I think it'd look more like armor), wrapped in a tight fitting bag sewn up from black cotton duck.

th_ODSTPouch032.jpg

This is a piece from my ODST soft armor, which shows how it looks. One thing I'd recommend is using a spray glue to glue the front piece of cloth down to he foam. If the parts get much above 4x4 inches, the cloth will pull away from the foam a little, and look goofy.

I like that idea! I might use a different fabric, because Freeman's undersuit is a more charcoal color, but the fabric pattern is pretty sweet!

This is a side view of what I had in mind. Ignore the fact that it's not to scale, but the principle is sound. When I put the suit on, the stitching will be hidden and the layers will show. Also, the tension on the fabric from me wearing it should keep everything nice and tight.

Undersuitlayers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that plan! The color shouldn't be terribly hard, walmart carries a lot of colors, and fabric stores usually have more. It's labeled as cotton canvas or cotton duck, get the heaviest that they have. If you can't find charcoal, you could get black cloth and bleach it, or dye white or gray cloth darker.

i would use these gloves cause they are pretty much 100% game accurate other than the colour

productimage.250%5CTAC09.jpg

http://www.niton999.co.uk/products.expanded.asp?product=2762&querycategory=Hats-Gloves-And-Glasses&querybrandname=&querysubcategory=Gloves&search=&new=&pricedrop=&offer=&productname=Niton-Tactical-Raid-Two-Gloves-(TAC09)

i would also take off the finger armour because in game its only the back of the hand tha has armour padding

part 2 said:
i would use these gloves cause they are pretty much 100% game accurate other than the colour

productimage.250%5CTAC09.jpg

http://www.niton999.co.uk/products.expanded.asp?product=2762&querycategory=Hats-Gloves-And-Glasses&querybrandname=&querysubcategory=Gloves&search=&new=&pricedrop=&offer=&productname=Niton-Tactical-Raid-Two-Gloves-(TAC09)

i would also take off the finger armour because in game its only the back of the hand tha has armour padding

Those look flash, but they're almost $50USD...a bit rich for my blood right now. I'll see if I can't find something close to those stateside.

You could get black leather or Lycra gloves of about that pattern for $15-$30, and then add cloth-wrapped craft foam to the back of the hand. Nice and cheap, and a minimum of modding to the purchased parts.

th_H2ODST078.jpg

The gloves here are the ones that I use for my ODST, they cost all of $0.01, out of a clearance bin. :D

Loess said:
The gloves here are the ones that I use for my ODST, they cost all of $0.01, out of a clearance bin. :D

Yeah yeah yeah, deals are hard to find though.

Alrighty!

So the thigh plates are done, and the left shin is about 60% complete. That leaves me with the right shin and the chest to do before I start.

So now: To glass or not to glass, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in mind to suffer the slings and arrows of haters who don't like your avant-garde hardeners, or to spend the dinero on the time-honored poisonous fumes.

Here's my breakdown:

Materials:

Fiberglass cloth: $7 per 9 sqft. (<===== for you experienced glassers, how much do you all think I'm going to need?)

Resin: $35 per gallon

Auto Body Bondo: $16 per gallon

Rare Earth Magnets: $7 for 50 pack of 4lb magnets.

Primer: $4 per can

Metallic Aluminum Spray Paint: $4 per can

Metallic Charcoal Spray Paint: $6 per can

Gloss Orange Spray Paint: $4 per can

Acetone: $16 per gallon

Tools:

Dremel: Got It ^^

Brushes: $7 for 5pack of various sizes

Sand paper: $10 for auto sandpaper variety pack.

So, I don't think I'll need more than a gallon of resin or bondo, and the acetone is just a brush cleaner, but for the glass itself and the paints, how much do you all think i'll need?

Here's some love for you all, a little fit test i did on the completed pieces. Yes I double posted, but it's adding content, so :p

BeltFront.jpg

Yes I know the tips aren't centered, it's being held up with masking tape for the moment, cut me some slack :)

BeltSide.jpg

Another of the belt piece, I think it sits nicely, with enough room for my extra bulk in the padded underarmor.

LeftBicepandForearm.jpg

Okay, the bicep pieces don't look like they fit well, but once the red padding (see Valve reference pic) is installed after 'glassing and painting, it'll fit great.

RightBicepandForearm.jpg

Same on this side.

RightThighSide.jpg

These fit -so- perfectly. I might have to modify the little lips on the top and bottom openings for better mobility, but overall I couldn't have sized them any better.

LeftThighFront.jpg

This one slid down a little bit, so it's sitting lower than it should be, but otherwise really nice.

LeftThighSide.jpg

Same piece, side shot. I pulled it back up to the right position. My kneecap is right below that little point in the bottom left corner.

So there you all go! The shins are in progress and then all that's left on the pepping stage is the piece d'resistance, the chest!

Very nice.

What's your plan for the belt, how are you going to split it so you can put it on and off?

Jonny said:
Very nice.

What's your plan for the belt, how are you going to split it so you can put it on and off?

I'm not going to split it at all actually. I'm going to fill the thickness with fiberglass mat and then layer paper on the inside as well. Then i'm going to insert rare-earth magnets at the center back and the two front "tips" with matching magnets sewn into the undersuit. I'll put the belt on sideways and then rotate it 90-degrees so the magnets will line up and hold everything in place (poorly done diagram below).

1. Belt on with opening facing 90 degrees from my chest (the "O"s are my body seen from above)

2. Rotate belt so it is facing correct direction and magnets line up

*edit*

BeltAttach.jpg

Voila! (yes, it still sucks but it's 4am, gimme a break)

omegagauntlet said:
I love your progress. I'm peping this also but no where near as far along as you.

Throw up a thread with some progress pics! I'd love to hear what tips you've got from building it to make everything easier.

Chip475 said:
Hm that is coming along really nice, I really like it. That armour is sweeeeet, sexy

;)

Thanks man. It should be pretty hawt when it's all done :)

(null).exe said:
Throw up a thread with some progress pics! I'd love to hear what tips you've got from building it to make everything easier.

Thanks man. It should be pretty hawt when it's all done :)

i should make one too :3

That looks amazing so far. I can't wait to see this in person. Coming up with C+C for the con this weekend? Too bad you don't have it done yet.

moonwildflower said:
That looks amazing so far. I can't wait to see this in person. Coming up with C+C for the con this weekend? Too bad you don't have it done yet.

I'd love to, but A: I don't have any ready to go costumes, B: I have no money for tickets and C: Jill's birthday is Saturday.

I'm planning on having everything ready for AF in September though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back