Oceanic Sculpt from scratch *WIP*

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocDailey

Dear 405th,

I have been very lucky to have gotten great advice from the people here at the 405th. Thanks to you all I have an ego big enough to try something like this. I will humbly accept and tips and tricks anyone wants to send my way as I create this helm.

I do plan on making copies, so if people are interested I do intend to sell a *LIMITED* number. (Assuming it turns out)

Preemptively though...The visor will be an issue. I have experience with several types of visors and the bottom 2 panels will not be an issue, but the top 2 will be. The great artists at Stony Props have given me a point in the right direction, but any more info would be most welcome.

Here is what I've gotten done so far:

Oceanic Helm
563735_10151307059599894_517254106_n.jpg

Pre-plaster
425530_10151311242824894_984227084_n.jpg

My Wife getting me plastered
603181_10151311243059894_1072111380_n.jpg

All done with the front
578800_10151311243174894_108260411_n.jpg

I have already jammed a big wood rod up in this head and drilled it onto the board. The nails stuck out a bit so I attached some EVA foam to the bottom so I don't scratch the kitchen table. My Wife would kill me....
380714_10151307054789894_473870529_n.jpg

All fixed and attached onto the styrofoam head. Now I just need to add some FOAM IT for internal support and resin the outside.
380165_10151311240709894_383616898_n.jpg

548721_10151311240704894_847240733_n.jpg

I hope this thread is worthy of being on the 405th and I hope I *FRIGGIN ROCK IT*

Until next update!! Questions are welcome.

Looks like you got a good start man! Can't wait to see more progress.
Also, you have an epic kitchen table, I'm loving the celtic weave.

Looks like you got a good start man! Can't wait to see more progress.
Also, you have an epic kitchen table, I'm loving the celtic weave.

Thanks alot Paradoxdj. You good Sir are a bad ass in your own right and one of the original members that inspired to me get to this level. Thank you. *bow*
I used the same weave on my hammer. Please check it out here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/38427-Styrofoam-Weapons-*WIP*-(-many-types)/page3

UPDATE!!!

To clarify I have NO experience sculpting and the such. I'm not an artist and do not think of myself as one, I do however think I'm a smart'ish kinda guy that tries his best. That being said, I think I'm at least on the right track for this stage of sculpting.

Thank you for your viewership.

P1030964_zpsd2145d79.jpg

P1030965_zpsc04ac038.jpg

P1030966_zps76e19158.jpg

P1030967_zpscfee9d37.jpg

Again any help or positive critics are welcome and appreciated.

MERRY CHRISTMAS 405th!!!!!

And so the screw up/ revisions continue....

P1030968_zps71e05d86.jpg

P1030969_zps059a6f6a.jpg

I'm probably going to rip this all off and start over.....I know the 3D modelers feel like they are used and abused, but trying to sculpt from scratch like all the Senior 405th guys keep putting out.....bite me....I'm trying.

looks awesome! It's going to be a tough build but looks like you're going in the right direction I would definitely be interested in a casting of this when finished

Most of the guys who put out perfect clay sculpts have year of experience. For not having any previous experience with the medium you're doing pretty damn good! Keep at it and don't be afraid to take double or triple the time you expected to work and rework sections to practice and get things looking how you want it!

Sad news guys.....This project has to put off till future notice. The type of clay I'm using is for "organic" type sculptures. In order for me to salvage this I would have to make a mold of that I can get to, then pour off a new helm....then do more sculpting/sanding....make a new mold....pour a new helm......rinse and repeat another 2 times to get to a final product.....DOH!!!

I've started on a Pep Wetwork helmet. Sorry about the false hope, but at least I hope everyone learned something from this thread. My appologies for wasting peoples' time. I swung for the fences and hit nothing but air. At least I tried.

Catch you in another thread guys!

Sorry to hear you had to stop, i think this helmet is one of the better looking ones from the game :)

looking good, you seem to have a knack for this! wait... i think i recognize that clay... is that van aiken? that's what i started out with and, like you, i had to ripit all off and started over from scratch, and boy am i glad i did. while i know that some people like it, i find it to be basically junk clay not good for much besides building retaining walls for molding, and even that just barely. then again, i also am not an artist and do not think of myself as one :) by the way, when you get to the symmetry bit, let me know. i have my ways of dealing with it, but i would love to know yours! you seem to have a pretty good start, though!

looking good, you seem to have a knack for this! wait... i think i recognize that clay... is that van aiken? that's what i started out with and, like you, i had to ripit all off and started over from scratch, and boy am i glad i did. while i know that some people like it, i find it to be basically junk clay not good for much besides building retaining walls for molding, and even that just barely. then again, i also am not an artist and do not think of myself as one :) by the way, when you get to the symmetry bit, let me know. i have my ways of dealing with it, but i would love to know yours! you seem to have a pretty good start, though!

The clay I used was given to my by a buddy who worked in the special effects business. It's been discontinued. I don't know the name. It really is supposed to be used for "organic" type builds. I'm probably going to use the clay to help me build a mold for the Spectral Soul Reaver.

I wish someone had this done in Pep too Recon.....But a buddy said he'd work on it next after he posts his aviator helm on the share drive. So we will see!

Thank you everyone for the support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back