Odst armor - H2 vs. H3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unity

Ok everyone!

This question has been burning inside of me for over a year. Why does the odst armor look different in halo 3 than it does in halo 2. Now I understand that there are different kinds of armor, but there is no answer to my question. I have searched and searched with no luck. I figured I would ask my fellow 405th members. Thanks guys!

Jacob

You are right it doesn't really make a lot of sense. I mean the Reach ODSTs have more in common with the Halo 3 versions than in Halo 2. And the Reach ODSTs actually fall earlier in the time-line right?

I think I read somewhere that the Reach ODSTs might actually be a different "branch" of the UNSC, so maybe that's the same case as the ones in Halo 2?

You are right it doesn't really make a lot of sense. I mean the Reach ODSTs have more in common with the Halo 3 versions than in Halo 2. And the Reach ODSTs actually fall earlier in the time-line right?

I think I read somewhere that the Reach ODSTs might actually be a different "branch" of the UNSC, so maybe that's the same case as the ones in Halo 2?

Could be. I know there is the 7th odst batallion and then there is the 105th (the ones you play as in H3 : odst) . maybe I could e-mail bungie? I MUST know the answer lol

Obviously, it was a game-mechanic thing. New 3D models, new design... But I'm not sure what the ret-con was... Hmmm, this warrants some research... It COULD be a different division or something, but I highly doubt it. I think Bungie just threw in the new models and let people speculate all they wanted.

of course, you could ask how master chief got those new handplates and stuff like that too. :p

Haha I always think this! Someone told me they make a similar joke in RvB when one of them goes to get an armour upgrade and comes back with the Reach armour!
-Elliot

I just realized that under the AA helmet description it says "A improvment of the vulnerable ODST helmet" . The AA helmet does look somewhat like the halo 2 odst helmet.....Hmmmmmmm....

There are different varients of ODST's that can be deployed the ones in halo 2 are a different varient from halo 3 odst's. Basically your working with one varient of an odst in halo 2 and you working with a difeerent varient in halo 3. There are multiple varients of odst's. The varients are ranged, close quarters, and recon. Hope this helps.

And the Reach ODSTs actually fall earlier in the time-line right?

All of the games(minus Halo Wars) took place on the same year. 2552.

They could have been a new experimental design while the ODSTs we see today could be standard.

Just my 2 cents.

-Pony

Obviously, it was a game-mechanic thing. New 3D models, new design... But I'm not sure what the ret-con was... Hmmm, this warrants some research... It COULD be a different division or something, but I highly doubt it. I think Bungie just threw in the new models and let people speculate all they wanted.

of course, you could ask how master chief got those new handplates and stuff like that too. :p
Last edited by Boba Fett; Yesterday at 07:09 PM.

dude stop being such a skeptic and just be cooperative please

No, Boba's got his head on right. Bungie's stated, somewhere, as I recall, there is NO difference between a 3/Reach ODST and a Halo 2 ODST. It's just a visual distinction, because they didn't have the whole concept for the ODST complete in Halo 2. It's the same thing they complained about with Brutes in 2. The game ended up with a lot of stuff half-baked, because there was a lot to create in a limited time. If Halo 2 were to be remade, it would have Halo 3 ODSTs.

It's like, in Halo CE, the MkV battle armor is very bulky and cumbersome-looking, but in Reach, set BEFORE CE, the armor looks a lot more streamlined. It's a product of further real-world development of technology, and artistic concepts. Just leave it be.

No, Boba's got his head on right. Bungie's stated, somewhere, as I recall, there is NO difference between a 3/Reach ODST and a Halo 2 ODST. It's just a visual distinction, because they didn't have the whole concept for the ODST complete in Halo 2. It's the same thing they complained about with Brutes in 2. The game ended up with a lot of stuff half-baked, because there was a lot to create in a limited time. If Halo 2 were to be remade, it would have Halo 3 ODSTs.

It's like, in Halo CE, the MkV battle armor is very bulky and cumbersome-looking, but in Reach, set BEFORE CE, the armor looks a lot more streamlined. It's a product of further real-world development of technology, and artistic concepts. Just leave it be.

Well that sucks! thanks for posting this man!

Last edited by Boba Fett; Yesterday at 07:09 PM.

dude stop being such a skeptic and just be cooperative please

Well ah, guess what. Reality isn't always what you WANT it to be. That's both lazy and wishful thinking: you can speculate on a cannon reason for the difference, but I'm attacking the problem from a practical sense: halo 2 had less polys to work with, earlier concept development, and it thus did not have the "new" odst look.

Schizo further elaborates correctly, they probably didn't have the design fully done, or they went an re-vamped it for halo 3 to make them look better.

Well ah, guess what. Reality isn't always what you WANT it to be. That's both lazy and wishful thinking: you can speculate on a cannon reason for the difference, but I'm attacking the problem from a practical sense: halo 2 had less polys to work with, earlier concept development, and it thus did not have the "new" odst look.

Schizo further elaborates correctly, they probably didn't have the design fully done, or they went an re-vamped it for halo 3 to make them look better.

So true Bobba . The handplate thing goes along with this.

Halo 2 was the first appearence of the ODST troopers. The initial design was changed in halo 3 to make them look more 2552, rather than 2020. Just a different design. Just as the Halo 2 Mk6 is different than the halo 3 MK6.

All too true. It's just developing concept.
You could argue: "as the chief fell, the friction seared his handplates, making them form the new shape..." or something ridiculous like that, but it's just a game thing, to improve the design. It happens, and honestly, if Bungie had Reach technology for each game, it would probably look far better. But consoles evolve, games evolve. Why do marine faces look so fake in CE and yet so real in reach? Well...

All too true. It's just developing concept.
You could argue: "as the chief fell, the friction seared his handplates, making them form the new shape..." or something ridiculous like that, but it's just a game thing, to improve the design. It happens, and honestly, if Bungie had Reach technology for each game, it would probably look far better. But consoles evolve, games evolve. Why do marine faces look so fake in CE and yet so real in reach? Well...

lol, re-entry would have also had to change the chiefs helmet, visor, backpack, chestplate, shins, and boots, not just his handplates lol. Its just a new design, not a new graphics engine, a new design.

Well, the handplates were the most OBVIOUS change. And most of the armor stayed the same, just some minor tweaks. Like the chin of the helmet is more narrow, boots are a bit different, minor changes to the thighs. Most of the changes were probably due to graphics upgrades, and the fact that it was a brand new model. Any changes are very minor and not very noticeable.

Well, it's a new design because it's a new graphics engine. The old engine couldn't handle so many polygons, and the new engine can, allowing more intricate designs to be used. If the engine remained the same, there would be no room for changing detail, and they would have used the same model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back