ODST Build - my first foray into eva armor and my first halo costume

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizerdwolf

As the title states, this is my first time building a halo costume and building a costume from eva foam. Basing it off the Halo 3 ODST files located on this site.

Fort part so far so good, but there are some things I find odd about the file, resulting from the fact the software was intended for papercraft, and I think I've figured out how I'll handle those sections.

The small buts of tape are notes to myself about piece orientation and what side of the helmet they belong on.

IMG_20190909_085805178.jpg

wizerdwolf, welcome to the 405th. What odd bits you are finding is that when assembling pieces intended for paper, and since you are doing it in foam it's the thickness that isn't being taken into account. Simple fix is to trim the foam where necessary. Dry fit each piece as you go, tape them together (make sure to make connection marks) and you will see where said trim needs to occur. You could also check the file or the armory for the foam version of the helmet. Sometimes in the file that you downloaded will have both......sometimes. Good luck and happy building.

wizerdwolf, welcome to the 405th. What odd bits you are finding is that when assembling pieces intended for paper, and since you are doing it in foam it's the thickness that isn't being taken into account. Simple fix is to trim the foam where necessary. Dry fit each piece as you go, tape them together (make sure to make connection marks) and you will see where said trim needs to occur. You could also check the file or the armory for the foam version of the helmet. Sometimes in the file that you downloaded will have both......sometimes. Good luck and happy building.

The main area of oddness I see is the ear pieces as well as the forehead pieces highlighted, due the trenches modeled and unfolded around them:

ear_trench.png
forehead_trench.png

My plan for the ear piece is to make the two biggest parts of the ear out of the eva foam, the surrounding trim out of thin craft foam sheet, and possibly back the whole area with the foam sheet too, to help give structure to the area.

How I tackled the forehead area was to ignore the trench from my templates all together, measure how how much hight and width I needed to re-add to it after cutting out the templates. I then included the extra sizing in the section I cut out, which came out successful:

dome_finshed.jpg

I will need to make the rectangular detail in it wider to match the long middle piece before I reach that point, but I will score along it with an exact and expand it with a heat gun.

I forgot to mention, this is supposed to be the version intended for foam that was in the zip file I downloaded. It has already omitted the tabs and such from the "normal" version of it.

wizerdwolf, good job so far. Just a bit of advise; I know you've already started, but later on you will find that starting from the top and working your way down will be easier than going from the bottom up. It's kind of hard to get everything lined up properly when you have nothing to grip on to if the piece is one of the middle section pieces. Don't start over or anything but it's just something I've learned from experience. Looking forward to seeing a full suit soon.

Last edited:
wizerdwolf, good job so far. Just a bit of advise; I know you've already started, but later on you will find that starting from the top and working your way down will be easier than going from the bottom up. It's kind of hard to get everything lined up properly when you have nothing to grip on to if the piece is one of the middle section pieces. Don't start over or anything but it's just something I've learned from experience. Looking forward to seeing a full suit soon.

I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks for the advice! I actually built the top dome first before making that bottom part, and will be more or less meeting in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back