Odst Drop's In Water!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was kind of pointing in the direction of number 3.It's not like if somehow one of your HEV systems malfunctions and that's just tough luck for you. :( No, I believe that there will be backups for bizarre happenings.

(Oh no!!! My my thrusters screwed up!I guess that's the end of me.) < As that was saying that you would probably have emegency thrusters for things like that.

Number 4. If your shallow enough that might work.

came in at a sharp angle which caused you to skip across the surface for a bit.
Now theres an idea for a book.

In the good old days, ODSTs had pressurised suits and could operate for 15 mins of EVA. In the unlikely situation that the HEV was damaged in an approach, depressurised and sank in a fluid of some sort, the ODST or Spartan inside could simply wait it out for the pressure to equalized before blowing the door, assuming it is manual.

I did read somewhere that they had drop pod simulators,would't there be a few ones that they did that something in the SOEIV would malfunction?

I forgot all about the emergency thrusters. Brings a new idea to mind. Perfect case scenario here - but if you are sinking and you want to get that door open but you're still shallow enough, why not just use the emergency thrusters to pop yourself out of the water and blow the bolts mid-air? Sure, you'll hit the water again, but this time you'll be sans a door and home free. Provided that the thrusters will activate under water. I'm not sure how their thrusters work. If they're your standard chemical propellant or some kind of fusion based system or whatnot.

So the above idea is dependent on the fact that the thrusters have to be able to work while submerged.

Well The Flood mentions HEVs falling into lakes, but doesn't say if the Helljumpers inside died.

And something else for you to ponder, if the ODST suits are supposed to be sealed and capable of EVA, why do they wear fingerless gloves?

ok my opinion on this is yes they would servive landing in water like an ocean. but why would they. my opinion is they would land on the closest land they could and either get an air lift or a bout if the mission was on water.

they should be able to depending on how much damage the pod took upon entry. and the pods have door releases that fire an explosive charge if the door is damaged

Not all ODSTs have fingerless gloves,the only ones would have to be on HALO 3 ODST,and those are really just for looks.

If mankind can make a drop pod that works … “most of the time” and won’t burn up in the atmosphere. Then how come the flood can drop right in from orbit and slam down and not burn up?

CabooseRvB357 said:
If mankind can make a drop pod that works … “most of the time” and won’t burn up in the atmosphere. Then how come the flood can drop right in from orbit and slam down and not burn up?

they use big masses of flood flesh like drop pods

Last edited by a moderator:
Tafumi said:
Ultimately, the interior air only helps it float by reducing the overall weight of the pod itself. If the pod was made of a solid chunk of steel, it wouldn't be as light as a pod of equal surface area that was hollow). In order for the pod to float of its own accord, it has to displace the water equal or greater than it's weight. If it has positive or neutral buoyancy then it is fine. If it runs into the negative, it drops like a rock into the ocean.

So the real question is: Can it displace as much water as it weighs? Unfortunately, the only data I have is that the pod is 8.5'x9'x18' but I can't find anything on its weight. I could make some guesses based off of its physical size and taking into account the materials it is primarily made of (Titanium-A and Lead Foil) but... neither exist. I mean, Lead Foil does, but who knows if the lead foil of today matches what they're using on these pods.

You would need to know the weight of the pod before any real calculations on if it could float or not would be possible.

the best estimate I can give you is the pods itself weighs in at about the weight of a warthog and three-fourths

Tango 89er said:
Well The Flood mentions HEVs falling into lakes, but doesn't say if the Helljumpers inside died.

And something else for you to ponder, if the ODST suits are supposed to be sealed and capable of EVA, why do they wear fingerless gloves?

No no no!

People constantly get mixed up with this.

And ODST Suit is NOT sealed, They never were and probably won't be.

And ODST is a type of Marine, They may be of importance, but there's too many of them to add an oxygen tank into their suits.

Unless their armor was modified for a specific mission, which I doubt, ODST will not be sealed or capable of surviving in a vaccuum enviroment.

The Stig said:
No no no!

People constantly get mixed up with this.

And ODST Suit is NOT sealed, They never were and probably won't be.

And ODST is a type of Marine, They may be of importance, but there's too many of them to add an oxygen tank into their suits.

Unless their armor was modified for a specific mission, which I doubt, ODST will not be sealed or capable of surviving in a vaccuum enviroment.

the black undersuit they wear is capable of eva for about 15 minutes

S299 said:
they use big masses of flood flesh like drop pods

If that is so the how come it don’t burn up in the atmosphere like the huge steal one duz that the ODST use?

S299 said:
the black undersuit they wear is capable of eva for about 15 minutes

Despite the fact they wear fingerless gloves, Have vents in the helmet, And don't have a full neckseal allowing part of the head to be seen from a low angle.

The Stig said:
Despite the fact they wear fingerless gloves, Have vents in the helmet, And don't have a full neckseal allowing part of the head to be seen from a low angle.

in that case... the ODST would die :lol

CabooseRvB357 said:
If that is so the how come it don’t burn up in the atmosphere like the huge steal one duz that the ODST use?

ODST pods are covered in a ceramic composite layer that burns off during atmospheric heat/friction. So, as was said before, the theory would be that the flood go under the same concept of "skin shedding" by wrapping their "troop" in flood flesh to protect it. This extra material serves the same purpose as said ceramics. Makes a lot of sense to me.

However, do the flood actually launch their troops in from that high up? It's been quite some time since I've played the core Halo games and I don't recall there being documented instance of a troop drop from high enough up to require the use of any kind of heat shielding for atmospheric drag/friction. If anything, I always felt the mass of flood organics surrounding the flood troop served more as a kind of impact absorber. But maybe it has that dual function. I don't know - not too sharp on the flood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back