ODST Foam build - Stepping up from DFT (Finished Build Pic on Pg. #11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2nd shin under construction and frustrating. Was about to hang it up for a bit, but then Christmas in August happened! Got the BDU's in today. YEAH!!!
View attachment 258494 View attachment 258495

Those are great days!!!! Build looks great so far!!!
Christmas-in-August.jpg

Serious question here:

So what is everyone's opinion on game accuracy versus add your own individual flavor to a build? I know the default response is probably along the lines of "do what you want, it's your build and armor. Make it yours." I am just curious about how other members feel towards it. I initially started off with a game accurate build mindset and feel for the most part that I have adhered to it, but on the waist plates, I did add my own bit of customization and changed the shoulder piece hinges. There are some other small details I looked at adding that are not game accurate, but think that it would enhance the build, but then when I fit the piece, the angel on my shoulder tells me to keep it as game accurate as possible while the devil on the other side says go for it. LoL.

So what is everyone's honest thoughts on this when you are building your sets?

I always love seeing how accurate people can make theirs but at the same time I love seeing different takes on it, so it's hard to choose a side lol

On mine, I'm a detail nut but know i tend to bury myself in too much work when I do that lol I still am striving for as accurate as possible, but since I'm still new at this some corners had to be cut in accurate vs skill-woth-foam. Some changes here and there had to happen (For example my shoulder cuffs are different and simpler than your much nicer curved mounts)

I think detail is really great on your build and for me as long as you can have detail and make it look like realistic armor it is good enough. The details don't need to be game accurate but the general thing does.

In my opinion, there are enough permutations in-game that it would take a major diversion to walk off the beaten path. I think you would need to sit down and ask yourself: What is the goal for this particular costume? Who will see it most? Am I happy with it? and go from there.

I tend to like not only game-accurate stuff, but basic, vanilla stuff, because a lot of the other permutations, in my mind, are ugly. For example, I don't like the helmet Emile wears in Reach. BUT it is game accurate. And my opinion is not anyone else's. Thank heavens.

So there you go. Yeah, it's a "do what you want" type of answer, but from what you've said, it sounds like "what you want" is game accurate. So go game accurate, and modify as needed for your own personal taste and ease of build.

As the old man on top of the mountain once said:
"Put no barriers between you and where you are. As the wind bloweth, so shall it be. In the deepest recesses of the chambers in the human heart, all the greatest battles will be won."

And All I wanted was directions to get off the stupid mountain.

But it was a wise dude, so whatever.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. Its more small details that I was looking at. Not any major changes to the aesthetics or the overall look. Just some of the finer details. I still may pull the trigger on it, but I also tend to like things simple as well. I've taken more off of my motorcycle than put on kind of simple.

I received a "free to try" ink pen at work a while back and the plastic packaging it came in had these really cool looking hexagon patterns for keeping the pen in place. I took it home and cast them. They ended coming out quite nice and I thought they would make cool looking rivets in select locations. So yeah, I may add them.
20180705_190728.jpg 20180705_190743.jpg 20180705_190749.jpg

Serious question here:

So what is everyone's opinion on game accuracy versus add your own individual flavor to a build? I know the default response is probably along the lines of "do what you want, it's your build and armor. Make it yours." I am just curious about how other members feel towards it. I initially started off with a game accurate build mindset and feel for the most part that I have adhered to it, but on the waist plates, I did add my own bit of customization and changed the shoulder piece hinges. There are some other small details I looked at adding that are not game accurate, but think that it would enhance the build, but then when I fit the piece, the angel on my shoulder tells me to keep it as game accurate as possible while the devil on the other side says go for it. LoL.

So what is everyone's honest thoughts on this when you are building your sets?

I go with the canon approach of make the standard issue armour pieces and then personalize from there with paint and add-ons. My emblems and insignia are usually where I start with my DIN, my personal logo, Regiment crest and then extra chevrons and colour splashes.
Detailing.png MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1528511546482.jpg_1528511549657.jpeg

From there it I like to wear test things, watch where people's eyes fall and add extra detail to where they aren't looking. I kind of end up as a walking I Spy book that way. The challenge with my BotW Link is to spot the two Wingcrests which include the only Triforces on the costume, the record is ~5 minutes. Jokes, references to the series or just other detailing to make boring bits pop and show off the hard work I've put in.
received_263748574426056.jpeg

After about 15 hours of wear time on my Spartan I've figured out a few spots that need some love still but hey, I don't even know the full backstory of my Spartan yet so there's still plenty to add on.

Hip plates are done! Only thing left for the actual build are the gauntlets and the helmet! Almost ready to start tidying up the seams and sealing. WOOT! WOOT! Not included in the pic is are the side plates and belt buckle. That is a lot of pieces!
20180825_205925.jpg 20180825_205941.jpg 20180825_234429.jpg

Those clean cuts will help me sleep at night knowing how crazy good they are.

Amazing work as per usual!! I'm psyched to see those gauntlets!!

Good morning everyone. So it seems that I have come to yet another crossroad and thought I would throw out yet another opinion question. I have been reading just about everything on the web and this site about 3D printing and have the funds to purchase an entry level 3D printer ($300 - $350 range). The question is: What is everyone's thoughts on this? I am an above average computer user and don't fret the learning curve, but is it worth it? Seeing some of the posts of 3D builds and the overall capabilities of a set up like this, it looks like this is the future. So if you had the opportunity to go for it, would you?

Good morning everyone. So it seems that I have come to yet another crossroad and thought I would throw out yet another opinion question. I have been reading just about everything on the web and this site about 3D printing and have the funds to purchase an entry level 3D printer ($300 - $350 range). The question is: What is everyone's thoughts on this? I am an above average computer user and don't fret the learning curve, but is it worth it? Seeing some of the posts of 3D builds and the overall capabilities of a set up like this, it looks like this is the future. So if you had the opportunity to go for it, would you?

If you have the money now and it's burning a hole in your pocket I mean, YOLO right? Might as well jump in with a printer and start learning. There's a few different machines sub-300 US right now that are good for beginners and are outstanding in comparison to what was available when I fist jumped in for that price point. The computer user part is a plus but your spacial awareness game and understanding of how bits fit together and interact with each other is the key. Having a bit of machinist knowledge for operations on solids to get shapes you need doesn't hurt either.

The Tevo Tarantula and the Creality Ender 3 are solid machines to start on but if there's anything that would get my recommendation it'd be Monoprice Maker Select or one of it's many clones. That thing is a tank and other than some nozzle swaps and a bit of cleaning it's been flawless. 200mm x 200mm x 180mm print volumes are likely what you'll be looking at in this price range and that's not bad for props and armour, you will feel a bit squeezed though and that's why I moved up to a Tevo Tornado for larger bits.

I'm a bit biased in this camp though since I've been working on 3D models and prints for almost two years and have played around in AutoCAD and other CAD tools for over a decade so if the rest of the 405th wants to jump in and blast me with counter arguments, climb on it.

Thank you sir! I was looking at the Ender 3 initially and was going to pull the trigger on it tomorrow, but I'll go back and revisit the Monoprice Maker Select. I have a bit more I could spend, but don't want to break the bank on it just yet.

OK everyone. Officially at my wits end now on these forearm pieces and looking for some guidance and advice. I have tried three times to get this but without these things looking like hand cannons attached to your forearms, how is everyone making these and getting them to a small enough size where they look sized correctly, but still able to get their hand through it. Two pieces? I've tried a velcro option, but that leaves a gaping gap due to the extreme curvature. I am about to scrap the whole file system and go freehand using a duct tape pattern and pic references, but that still doesn't solve my dilemma of getting my hand through it.

Any tips, guidance, or advice is more than welcome on this part.

OK everyone. Officially at my wits end now on these forearm pieces and looking for some guidance and advice. I have tried three times to get this but without these things looking like hand cannons attached to your forearms, how is everyone making these and getting them to a small enough size where they look sized correctly, but still able to get their hand through it. Two pieces? I've tried a velcro option, but that leaves a gaping gap due to the extreme curvature. I am about to scrap the whole file system and go freehand using a duct tape pattern and pic references, but that still doesn't solve my dilemma of getting my hand through it.

Any tips, guidance, or advice is more than welcome on this part.

Magnets will help. You can get minimal seams while being able to easily attach them. I am forced with the same problem in my reach forearms. I didn't like the size but it had to get my hand through it. I'm planning to use a removable peice to get my hand through, which comes back together with magnets. I'm using the same idea on one of my helmet pieces.

I ended up doing surgery on mine. I cut a wedge down the centre of it. That it was wide enough for my hand to get through and tight enough at the top to keep it from sliding all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back