Odst Paintball Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that mate, looks good. Can I just ask one thing? Can you please try and use some punctuation, capital letters, and space your links and stuff. There is stickies all over the place, have a read of a few. This one is one of the best ones I have seen: New Recruit Orientation Video and there is also this guide of How to ask questions.

I'm saying this in the nicest way, other members would have been a bit up you by now.

Anyways, looks good mate, I might actually buy one of them.

-Kaster

From what I've ready you were only wanting to add pieces to/mod paintball gear to make it look like ODST. I see no problem in doing that. The only problem I could see is if he built around his face mask and fiberglassed it. He'd have to watch out for shrapnel. But he could save time and only pep helmets out and put them on around the face mask lol.

And I would think that it would be a bit awkward carrying tubes with that load-out, unless the range you play at have mil-sim paintball guns that use actual magazines and not hoppers.

As an avid airsofter, I was reading a lot of this, knowing only vaguely of what paintball uniforms consist of. What it looks like the biggest concerns are mobility and heat exhaustion. Both of which can be fixed by trial and error. Instead of doing all of that and taking it to the field, what I did for all of my airsoft gear, was going out for a jog around the block with a friend of mine. He was making sure I was doing okay and keeping me safe from cars etc. If I found something was getting too uncomfortable for whatever reason, we would stop for a bit and talk it over, then come home and talk about ways to relieve this problem.

As far as your idea of making a "shell" to go over the paintball helmet - I think that's probably the better way to go. I took an older helmet of mine (one that had crummy padding) and revamped it to make a Samus Aran Helmet. I'm looking into making Samus armor in a similar way to making the Halo armor, but that's still in the works. Essentially for the Samus helm, I have the paintball helm UNDER a layer of paper maché. I just made sure to keep holes in it for ventilation and I put a motorcycle visor under the paper maché and over the paintball one. I don't have any pictures as of this moment for the internal of the helm, but the external looks quite good, in my opinion.

My point in all of this was to say that I know that I've done something that while not tested, it doesn't seem impossible. Since you're dedicated to making this happen, I don't see why you're getting so much hate. You're just asking if it's possible, not whether or not it's practical or going to be the best armor on the field - you just want something that meets minimum requirements and looks cool.

Best of luck to you.

EDIT: Just as a note, my airsoft gear is just several layers including TRUs, a vest, and a helm - I was used to just wearing street clothes. It's not anything fancy, really.

Welchkin said:
As an avid airsofter, I was reading a lot of this, knowing only vaguely of what paintball uniforms consist of. What it looks like the biggest concerns are mobility and heat exhaustion. Both of which can be fixed by trial and error. Instead of doing all of that and taking it to the field, what I did for all of my airsoft gear, was going out for a jog around the block with a friend of mine. He was making sure I was doing okay and keeping me safe from cars etc. If I found something was getting too uncomfortable for whatever reason, we would stop for a bit and talk it over, then come home and talk about ways to relieve this problem.

To curb heat exhaustion, and after talking to some people, I plan to install one of theseinto the helmet. But have it possible to connect/disconnect it, as well as control the temp inside the helm at all times. I will mount the control unit on my upper back and have it feed into the back of my helmet if possible. Otherwise, if such a system would be too hard to install, I'll sell it to a mate and just stick a CPU fan in.

Also, now, provided I did this right, you can look at my ideas for how to paint my suit by clicking This link. (May take some time to load)

-Kaster

Last edited by a moderator:
Something you might wanna checkout is a material called diolen (in the uk anyways). Its made to be impact resistant so if you layer up glass - diolen - glass you should get both the4 rigidity of the glass and the impact resistance of the diolen, just an idea.

Keep up the good work, im a fellow baller and would love to see a paintball suit.

Now, Computer parts is where I'm pretty good at. The cooler you linked has a fairly large radiator and would hard to hide somewhere in your suit and keep the radiator effective. The CPU plate is pretty small too. If you do want o go and use liquid cooling for the helmet you'll have to find a cooler with a small radiator and a smaller pump. Then you'll have to remove the cpu plate and connect the hoses and just have a hose going around the inside of the helmet... But still. You'll have to find a place to put the radiator and pump. And if that radiator gets his with a ball or even the pump you may have just lost some money.

Your best bet would be 24-40mm fans inside the helmet. But if you were planning on putting an ODST helmet over a paintball facemask then the room for doing this would be very tight, if there's any at all.

Good luck.

Mixed emotions here, I only read the first couple of pages, so I apologize if I am reiterating anything that was already said.

With a proper thick visor, I'd imagine the helmet would hold up fairly well, and I'm not sure about your local paintball regulations, but here in Calgary, Alberta, the flimsy visors are the only thing required to play, so anything beyond a sturdy visor on a helmet is just icing for your dress-up session.

Over-heating and heat exhaustion are a definite possibility here, so I'm hoping you're in shape, well hydrated and take chances to rest periodically.

be sure to do all nececary renforceing BEFORE you take it out into the feild. do tests at home, and always have regulation face protection handy just in case.

I don't have time at all to argue really. I'm in a hurry.

So rather than giving you pros and cons I'll say this.

Don't do it.

If you're determined. DON'T use fiberglass. Make the props, Mold, then cast with EXTRA layers of plastic for extra strength.

And ALWAYS wear official equipment UNDER the helmet.

/Discussion.

I'm no longer putting this over a regular Paintball Helm, but I will be fitting the cast molded helm with a motorcycle liner to hold it on my head. I will be wearing a good set of Uvex High Impact Safety Goggles/Sunnies, plus my Motorcycle Visor will be bolted in and meets ANSI Z87.1-2003 which is the North American, European, and Australian minimum standard for impact protection at Paintball. The risk of Sunnies coming off is very low because they fit tight and snug to my head and the motorcycle liner will be putting a lot of pressure on the frames to hold them in place.

Thanks Psychopanda for that bit of advice, I'll go and have a talk to some of the guys at the local computer store that know me, I'm sure they'll be able to set me up with something. But I'll take your advice along with me and tell them that too. See what they think.

And Zacky Panic, I will be able to have break sessions at the end of every round to have a drink and a rest while we consolidate our forces and plan the next attack. Plus I'll wear some good fire service clothing underneath it that's thick, but breathes really really well and keeps you awesomely cool.

-Kaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back