Props Odst Pod Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodl3tt3r

Ok, so, since it's summer and I don't have a girlfriend ( :mad: ), I've decided it would be fun to try making an ODST drop pod in 3ds Max 2009. I'm using the Halo 3: ODST version shown here:
Halo3-ODST_PodConcept-03.jpg

And it's a terrible reference image for pretty much everything except the cover, which I've started on.

This is what I have so far:
Front:
[attachment=9684:ODST_SOEIV_cover.jpg]
Angle:
[attachment=9685:ODST_SOEIV_cover2.jpg]

Anyways, if someone happens to find reference shots of the side of the pod, that'd be really nice, because then i can see what the side actually looks like instead of bs'ing it.

Will keep you updated as I work on it.

Also, I know I'm a fail modeler, so any hints/constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Kthx,
Chris

Good idea maybe when your done you could print (if its called printing) it with a CNC machine but that would be very expensive.

Unique Name:

That should help greatly, thank you much,

Although if anyone can find a nondark one, that'd be nice too. But it's still helpful, thanks.

EDIT: Can't CNC, I don't have a machine and it's a crappy model anyways.
I may clean it up and make a pep out of it later when it doesn't suck

EDIT EDIT: Windows/Firefox/my comp fails and refuses to play the file... if someone can get me an image of the pod's side where the outline at least is distinguishable, that would be super-freaking-awesome.

Kthx.

Pep on something so large is a bit... Silly. For full scale, anyway. If you want to make a full scale drop pod, use plywood.

Gooberz said:
Pep on something so large is a bit... Silly. For full scale, anyway. If you want to make a full scale drop pod, use plywood.
yeah, when I said pep, I mean like... 1/50th scale or so. XD since the thing's supposed to be 18 feet high...

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, we have a skid loader at my landscaping company which has a door just like that. Every time i get out of it i feel like a odst. I would like to kick it open, but then i would be paying big bucks.

the drop pod doors are able to swing up....right? cause im trying to make 2 or 1 life sized drop pods for me and my friends short series about 2 odsts. also thats one of the reasons 4 my armor :lol

IroniumCostuming said:
the drop pod doors are able to swing up....right? cause im trying to make 2 or 1 life sized drop pods for me and my friends short series about 2 odsts. also thats one of the reasons 4 my armor :lol

No, they pop off of the base of the pod

kiba963 said:
No, they pop off of the base of the pod

thats only after the drop, in the ship when you get in the pod the doors are attached and swing down onto the pod

I believe it would be like the doors on some current infantry assault vehicles. During normal operations, they have an open and close mechanism just like usual, but in combat situations, there is a system in place to blow the hatch off in order to let the occupant out quickly. That's just a theory though. It's the way I would do it.

I believe the bolts are in place as a back up, the doors can swing up.

Buck got out of his pod without blasting the panels off. And so did Dare (seeing as the door was still attached without her in it)

I know, spoilering the above might have been overkill, but I don't like risking it for new people, seeing as how long it took me to get myself an xbox and halo 3.

M-562 said:
I believe the bolts are in place as a back up, the doors can swing up.

Buck got out of his pod without blasting the panels off. And so did Dare (seeing as the door was still attached without her in it)

I know, spoilering the above might have been overkill, but I don't like risking it for new people, seeing as how long it took me to get myself an xbox and halo 3.

... i thought that buck and dare's pod malfunctioned and the engineer opened dare's and buck just got lucky (he's trying to rip his AR out of the pod)

Door didn't exactly fly out of the Drop Pod in the We Are ODST trailer either. If you look closely, you'll see it actually went up.

anyways back to the wip... hows it comming along? is it being built or what.. i kinda wanna know.. if you make it make it a sweet computer chair desk thingy lol

Erm, I forgot completely about this. It's not summer, I have college applications, senior year, and I've become addicted to EVE Online XD.

I'll probably come back to it at some point though. Sorry for the extreme amount of fail, I'm notoriously bad at continuing projects.

eve online aint bad i got bored with the trial.... cant wait for echo415 or something like that from ccp... thats gonna be cool. fps and spaceship romeing... sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back