ODST Project. Bobby Boucher --> 03MAR18 Latest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, this all looks awesome! I'm glad you could start back up on it. If you don't mind me asking, how hard was it to fully assemble Hugh's helmet? I'm pepping it out now and I'm worried that all the little mistakes I made are gonna keep it from not fitting together properly.

I didn't think it was very hard! I used alligator clips to hold all of the individual pieces together before I started glueing pieces together, just to check my fitment and see if I needed to remake any pieces. I don't remember if I posted a picture or not.... You can go to any office store and get a large pack of alligator clips for a few bucks!

Where did you get the M7S kit from?..So that others may avoid the headache.

It turned out good, but judging by the amount of work you put into it and seeing your previous builds I bet you could have made one just as good out of foam.

It just irks me that people are out there making money off second-rate prints and casts. If you bought it for half price that's a different story. But I bet you paid good money for it. I would be asking for my money back. We need to hold crafters accountable for the quality of their work.

Where did you get the M7S kit from?..So that others may avoid the headache.

It turned out good, but judging by the amount of work you put into it and seeing your previous builds I bet you could have made one just as good out of foam.

It just irks me that people are out there making money off second-rate prints and casts. If you bought it for half price that's a different story. But I bet you paid good money for it. I would be asking for my money back. We need to hold crafters accountable for the quality of their work.

It really shocked me when I got it. Because its a tactonyx kit believe it or not, paid full price. There were so many things that were falsely advertised I couldn't believe it. The stock was supposed to be positionable with working buttons, came as a solid piece. The foregrip was also supposed to be positionable, but that also came as a solid piece.The upper receiver was completely tweaked clockwise, took me a solid day to coax it back and be happy with it. The bolt and trigger were supposed to be functional, but they were both missing pieces and were also bent. The instructions online did not match the product I received. Not to mention, there were air bubbles EVERYWHERE.

I tried for a few months to get my money back but I never heard anything back. This kit killed my enthusiasm for finishing my ODST for a long while.

That M7S :O
Build is looking beautiful!!

Thanks! It's getting closer

OOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!! And Mesh makes a rare appearance!!! Welcome back.....

Lol

Maaan, this build's really coming together, all things considered.

All things considered sounds about right. So much has changed since I started this build. More to come soon

[QUOTE="Bobby Boucher, post: 746695] This kit killed my enthusiasm for finishing my ODST for a long while.[/QUOTE]
That's what pains me the most when I see something like that happen. M I'm glad you toughed it out and made the most of it. You should be proud of that. Thanks for sharing.

That's what pains me the most when I see something like that happen. M I'm glad you toughed it out and made the most of it. You should be proud of that. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I am very happy with it!

I wasn't too pleased with the first shoulder I made, I made a hinged version with a sniper plate out of pep and rondo. It was pretty heavy and the sniper plate made it a little too bulky and floppy. So I decided to start over from scratch with some foam and make normal shoulders, my right shoulder was feeling left out. I made all new biceps also, and once I find a happy place to mount them I will paint them up with a similar paint scheme.

I also hung all of the hip and belt pieces from my chest but I'm not sure if I'm pleased with how it turned out, I haven't taken a picture yet. I'm 6'2" and that leaves some gaps I don't like with the chest pieces. I might redo THAT as well... We'll see

BlgXfxL.jpg

Started painting. I'm using the same gunmetal color I've used on other pieces HOWEVER, I'm going to get a little more sophisticated. Depending on what happens I might redo more pieces..... Like I need more projects to do.

Here's the gunmetal, it's very shiny. Ripe for weathering. Weathering is great for hiding all sorts of minor transgressions ;) and I love weathering!

qkvVD0t.jpg

Here's a breakdown of what I'm doing now, left to right. After heat sealing the pieces, I seal them again with Plastidip to prepare for paint. Then I actually throw a single coat of silver followed by a gloss coat! This will come in handy for weathering. But before that I will put two coats of gunmetal on the pieces. After that I will go to my airbrush (which I didn't have two years ago) to add details that have yet to come. Then comes some steel wool to bring back some of that silver, along with various oil bases paints for some dirt and grime! Finally, everything will get a flat clear coat to seat everything in.

ZmxL9yA.jpg

It's a lot of steps, but the finished project looks amazing. I did the same thing to my M7S but with primer instead of plastidip. The weathering really adds a thread of realism to your pieces and gives it new life! I really need to redo the M6C now, that thing is totally lame in comparison. Much too clean, but that's for another day.

If you've done it before and it works that's great! My only worry was the silver enamel thrown in the mix of acrylic paints. They can have bad chemical reactions, ruining your paint. Best to stick with all enamels or all acrylics. Here's a break down in case you plan on doing more layering.
paint matrix.jpg

Base layer Acrylic with tot coat enamel makes a cracked effect. I don't know what plastidip would fall under. I guess just rubber.

Good Job keep it up

Can't wait for finish result of the build

Thanks!

If you've done it before and it works that's great! My only worry was the silver enamel thrown in the mix of acrylic paints. They can have bad chemical reactions, ruining your paint. Best to stick with all enamels or all acrylics. Here's a break down in case you plan on doing more layering.
Base layer Acrylic with tot coat enamel makes a cracked effect. I don't know what plastidip would fall under. I guess just rubber.

Nice chart! I've done it before. This is all the same paint I used on the M7S, in the exact same order, and I had zero issues with it. Just substitute normal primer in for plastidip.

PerniciousDuke from my research I found that enamel paints bond extremely well to plastidip! When I threw that layer of silver enamel on top of the dip it was dry to handle in less than half an hour, in 40 degree weather!! After the clearcoat any acrylic paint I throw on adheres just fine with no drama.

It should also be worth noting that I warm my paint up before I spray it, cold spray paint comes out very think and blotchy.

It defensively has that little here little there dirty look. Great job man. Question: What does the Oriental writing on the right hand shoulder mean?

It defensively has that little here little there dirty look. Great job man. Question: What does the Oriental writing on the right hand shoulder mean?

混 is Chinese. If you look up ODST in Halo Wikia this symbol comes up in the trivia section. In Halo 3 the ODSTs have this on their chest armor, right side. The symbol itself looks different in game but I didn't really like how it looked, so I made it simpler. It roughly means bad@$$

Here's the screenshot

hJiKtfx.jpg

Looking good! I think they are flashbangs? I could be wrong.

I know the yellows are flashbangs for sure! The blue might be a different kind? Idk. But they look cool, and that's all the matters

This is a great build. I’m in the same boat coming from the 501st I want to try something new.

Thanks it's getting there! It's hard to build something approvable out of foam and pep for the 501st

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back