Odst Smg! Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDorito11

Jr Member
So here is the odst smg so far...[attachment=14309:smg.jpg][attachment=14310:smg4.jpg]

T just recently made the cross-hair sight to the gun. the forgrip can fold in and out (which is great!!).

I plan to do what Pony is going to do...fill the smg with an expanding foam. after that it is just going to be resin, and primer

[attachment=14311:smg5.jpg][attachment=14312:me.jpg]

let me know what you think ,and i'll try to update as much as I can!!!

Feet first into hell.

Awesome work dude!

Just a tip reguarding the expanding foam. Do not over do it. If you do, you will end up with a fat SMG or even a broken SMG. Try to do it in small amounts if you can so you can have enough time to keep the pieces in place while to foam expands.

-Pony

ACDCrockr209 said:
Awesome work dude!

Just a tip reguarding the expanding foam. Do not over do it. If you do, you will end up with a fat SMG or even a broken SMG. Try to do it in small amounts if you can so you can have enough time to keep the pieces in place while to foam expands.

-Pony

Thanks!! As far as the expanding foam...i'll find some kind of fixure to hold the smg in place to keep it from becoming a fat smg hahaha. are you still going to the comic con???

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job! Pepping weapons is no small task.

I'd recommend staying the hell away from the spray foam. It keeps expanding/contracting for up to 24 hours after its initial exposure to air. I've lost every single weapon I've tried to use it on. Pony up and use the Smooth-cast 300 Plastic. It will add a ton of weight and give a very solid feel, plus you can do it in doors without risk of fumes. Here's a Tutorial. Pardon the music.

Youve still got yourself a long road ahead. Pepping is just the beginning of the project.

Resin/fiberglass, bondo and sanding will take alot of time and patience.

Good luck on the project and show us some more progress when you work your way through :)

The Kennanator said:
Great job! Pepping weapons is no small task.

I'd recommend staying the hell away from the spray foam. It keeps expanding/contracting for up to 24 hours after its initial exposure to air. I've lost every single weapon I've tried to use it on. Pony up and use the Smooth-cast 300 Plastic. It will add a ton of weight and give a very solid feel, plus you can do it in doors without risk of fumes. Here's a Tutorial. Pardon the music.

Awesome I might use this instead. Thanx everyone!

Surprised nobody mentionned it. You say "fill the smg with an expanding foam. after that it is just going to be resin, and primer". You got the order wrong. It's resin, expanding foam, and primer. If you do the expanding foam before the resin, you'll end up with a fat weapon. Even if you go SmoothCast 300, I'd recommend strengthening the outside before doing the inside.

It looks good.

Yeah I agree, always resin the outside first with 2 or three coats to make it strong enough to handle the stress the interior stuff will do to it. Thankfully the SMG has plenty of room to play with on the inside for either foam or the smooth cast. Also the resin on the outside will normally keep the small pin size holes from allowing your expensive filler to leak out all over the place.

But the pep looks solid. Nice work kid.

I'm glad to get all of your help. I just don't want to mess up and have to build it all over again. is there another typ of filling that i can use other than smoothcast, or the expanding foam, without having to cut the gun apart?

Here are some more pictures enjoy! ;)

[attachment=14326:9bce65556b31__1262184474000.jpg]

[attachment=14327:d38b340fe76c__1262184516000.jpg]

Meleck said:
Surprised nobody mentionned it. You say "fill the smg with an expanding foam. after that it is just going to be resin, and primer". You got the order wrong. It's resin, expanding foam, and primer. If you do the expanding foam before the resin, you'll end up with a fat weapon. Even if you go SmoothCast 300, I'd recommend strengthening the outside before doing the inside.

It looks good.

I definitely left that tidbit out, thanks for the catch! Always always always resin/strengthen Pep before adding material.

Rock said:
Yeah I agree, always resin the outside first with 2 or three coats to make it strong enough to handle the stress the interior stuff will do to it. Thankfully the SMG has plenty of room to play with on the inside for either foam or the smooth cast. Also the resin on the outside will normally keep the small pin size holes from allowing your expensive filler to leak out all over the place.

But the pep looks solid. Nice work kid.

I strongly disagree on using foam with weapons. I recently trashed 2 SMG models as the foam just didn't stop expanding. It got to the point I had to cut expansion holes in the sides to let the excess out. That's why I recommend the Smooth Cast as it won't add stress to the part.

Good call on the resin as a sealant, especially since the Smooth Cast runs at about 30 bucks per batch.

EvilDorito said:
I'm glad to get all of your help. I just don't want to mess up and have to build it all over again. is there another typ of filling that i can use other than smoothcast, or the expanding foam, without having to cut the gun apart?

If the interior of the gun is accessible through the muzzle, just pour the smoothcast in through there and rotate the weapon. Otherwise you'll have to cut a few small holes to pour the plastic in. Make sure you seal the holes with tape once you've poured in the plastic, and it will fill in the place where you cut the hole. If you get the trial size Smooth Cast 300, make sure to only mix about 8 ounces per pour. Otherwise it may take too long to cure, or cure poorly.

But Rock's right, make sure you have that sucker sealed up once you start pouring plastic.

The Kennanator said:
I definitely left that tidbit out, thanks for the catch! Always always always resin/strengthen Pep before adding material.

I strongly disagree on using foam with weapons. I recently trashed 2 SMG models as the foam just didn't stop expanding. It got to the point I had to cut expansion holes in the sides to let the excess out. That's why I recommend the Smooth Cast as it won't add stress to the part.

Good call on the resin as a sealant, especially since the Smooth Cast runs at about 30 bucks per batch.

If the interior of the gun is accessible through the muzzle, just pour the smoothcast in through there and rotate the weapon. Otherwise you'll have to cut a few small holes to pour the plastic in. Make sure you seal the holes with tape once you've poured in the plastic, and it will fill in the place where you cut the hole. If you get the trial size Smooth Cast 300, make sure to only mix about 8 ounces per pour. Otherwise it may take too long to cure, or cure poorly.

But Rock's right, make sure you have that sucker sealed up once you start pouring plastic.

thanks for all the help!!! i very much apprectiate all of it!! I'm a noob when it comes to molding and stufff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back