ODST type visor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TacoHombre

I recently played through halo 3: odst and something drew my attention, the tinting and untinting visors. I also read battleborn recently and noticed that it was mentioned on a Spartan then. I was wondering if there was any way to recreate this effect in a cosplay, I've seen a mechanical version in a YouTube video while having a look around, but it was far too complicated for my purposes and I was wondering if anyone else had found another solution?

It was our own Rock Lobbster who made the mechanical flip visor:

As for how to attempt to achieve the effect without the needing any mechanical or moving parts, many of our mirrored our tinted visors work on the principle of the vast majority of the light being blocked on the inside of the helmet. If you hold up most tinted or mirrored visors up on their own you can usually see right through them very easily. I once knew a fellow member who bought a mirrored visor on Etsy and when he got it was starting to complain that he thought he was ripped off as he could see through it and it didn't seem very mirrored at all. I advised him to try it on his helmet before he asked for a refund or made an issue with the vendor. Lo and Behold, once installed on his helmet, it was more than sufficiently mirrored and prevented him from seeing through.

That's a long way to go to just say, it could be possible to mount some nice bright LEDs on the inside of your helmet aimed at the visor that when activated could negate the tint or mirroring effect of most visors enough for your face to be visble-ish. You won't be able to achieve the perfectly clear look of a mechanical moving visor, and obviously not like the in game or CGI in the We Are ODST TV commercial, but it might be a nice approximation for cheaper than moving visor.

I recommend directing the LEDs at the user's face instead of the visor, it may work better. I also recommend diffusing the light as well to reduce shadowing and limit strain on the users eyes when active. Some cloudy/opaque plastic placed over the light source works well for diffusion. Old tupperware is a good source for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back