Odst Visor Mold. Mabye...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cameron

So I'm in the middle of my first ODST Helmet. I plan on making a second, more reinforced helmet (more on that later) and I want to make an accurate visor.

From what I've seen on the forum it looks like the only way to do this is via vacuum form and tint paint, this being really inconvenient for people not willing to spend $140+ for a visor...

I'm looking into making the visor out of clear casting resin which would cost maybe $30 for the resin, catalyst and tint paint.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this before and had any tips.

I'm going to try this sometime this spring and will probably make a tutorial if it works out well.

Regards,

Cameron

First off, an ODST helmets visor runs for about $20.00. The casaed helmet AND a tinted visor will run for anywhere inbetween the $140.00 mark, and the $400.00 for a raw cast.

I had a member ask me about doing this before. I looked into it, and after casting a few of my own pieces, I can say that even if you casted it in clear resin with a little bit of tint, it would be extremely hard to see of. This would be because when you would slush cast the visor, the resin will start to jell, and the resin will not move as easily. When that happens, the resin tends to stop moving as easily as it did before. This will, 99 time out of 100, result in the resin drying with little "shelves" of resin in a few places. If you cast with clear resin, this will play hell with your abillity to see out of the visor.

The only way to avoid this is to roto-cast the visor.

Or, you could simply look into vacuum forming the visor.

I f it5 werte me i would go with the vacumme forming. Its cheap, and you can do a whole lot with it. I'm about to vacumme form my odst visor as well. good luck with your odst.

Cameron said:
this being really inconvenient for people not willing to spend $140+ for a visor

There are a few members here who sell ODST visors tinted in various colors for far less than that. Once you're promoted to Veteran status, you'll be able to buy them if you so choose. If you just can't wait, though, then you're looking at buying some HJC motorcycle visors ($35 per) or a vacuum forming machine of your own, which would be far more expensive than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips guys. Sucks about the shelves.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
First off, an ODST helmets visor runs for about $20.00. The casaed helmet AND a tinted visor will run for anywhere inbetween the $140.00 mark, and the $400.00 for a raw cast.

Xtreme, where are you finding these $20 visors. I'd be very interested in buying a few. (Oh, and I was talking about the cost to buy my own vac-form machine for the $140 price tag)

Just found a vacuum former for $40 bucks and now feel stupid... :p

Still I'd rather just buy them. I don't need the visors until spring so I guess I'll just wait for veteran status.

Cameron said:
I don't need the visors until spring so I guess I'll just wait for veteran status.

Which, just in case you think otherwise, is given for community activity and a positive, contributing attitude, and not just being here/posting "good job" in every WIP thread out there. Not to sound rude, it's just becoming common for people to spam their way to Veteran status, and it wouldn't put you in a good light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back