Odst Visor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I think it would be most hard to make an ODST Visor out of a motor cycle helmet visor I was thinking how could I make a good visor that doesn't look cheap. What I thought was to make a mold of the pepakura visor of the helmet after it was thickened with resin and smoothed with sandpaper. then use some sort of tinting paint. I have started to look for a tint that would be applicable to what I am doing but so far have been unsuccessful.:(

If you know of a tinting that I could use to make it one way like the motor cycle helmet visor, and not some crappy binder insert on the inside to tint it?

are you planning on vaccum forming it? ccause thats what im doin. i think you can put black window tint on the plastic when its in the oven. i am about to do some tests on that. ill let ya now how it goes. if it goes well ill happily give you one for free

Michael Mitchell said:
Since I think it would be most hard to make an ODST Visor out of a motor cycle helmet visor I was thinking how could I make a good visor that doesn't look cheap. What I thought was to make a mold of the pepakura visor of the helmet after it was thickened with resin and smoothed with sandpaper. then use some sort of tinting paint. I have started to look for a tint that would be applicable to what I am doing but so far have been unsuccessful. :(

If you know of a tinting that I could use to make it one way like the motor cycle helmet visor, and not some crappy binder insert on the inside to tint it?

firstly, there is no such thing as one way paint. second, use tail light tinting. 3rd, if you want to make it somewhat c-thru, take some mesh fabric and put it behind the visor(make it the closest part of your eyes) that should achieve a non-cheap looking visor

and lol you read my post about the divider/mesh visor haha. The mesh Idea seems to make a great one-way layer

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael Mitchell said:
Since I think it would be most hard to make an ODST Visor out of a motor cycle helmet visor I was thinking how could I make a good visor that doesn't look cheap. What I thought was to make a mold of the pepakura visor of the helmet after it was thickened with resin and smoothed with sandpaper. then use some sort of tinting paint. I have started to look for a tint that would be applicable to what I am doing but so far have been unsuccessful. :(

Hey, I went to Lowes and purchased some plexiglass. I cut the glass into several pieces matching the pep file visor. This edges of the glass pieces to be connect were sand to a 45 degree angle so the edges would match fine. Using some r/c epoxy, just a small amount on the edges to be connected to bond them together. It is going well. I've purchased some nice tint from a custom car dealer in california to be used on the visor are i finish assembling the pieces together.

I went to a hobby shop and they had clear sheets of plastic..I bought some tinting paint..but that seemed to have failed. It was impossible to see through after painting, so any suggestions on how to darken the plastic would be great!

wait this doesnt make any sense?

okay so you have a mold of a solid finished visor. then what? You went off to talking about tinting paint.

i am haji said:
wait this doesnt make any sense?

okay so you have a mold of a solid finished visor. then what? You went off to talking about tinting paint.

Simply vacu-form your visor you made with your helmet using clear plastic so when you are done vacu-forming it, you have a clear ODST visor. Then you simply apply black window tint. Some come in rolls so you just roll it over your visor to make it black, and some are in a spray can so you apply it like spray paint.

Helpful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back