Old Novel Resurfaced And Edited

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanSRS

A revised version that I promised to readers. A year anniversary since the novel was started in 2009, I actually might turn this into a comic and post up sketches for it. I hope you like the revised edition, grammar and details were fixed. Added more beautiful imagery etc.

NOTE: THIS IS ONLY CHAPTER ONE OF SIX

HINT: The Sun plays a key role. Hmm... Forerunners anyone?

For those not familiar with the novel, It is based around 15-20 years after the events of Halo 3. A new group of Spartans have been created called the Spartan IVs. The UNSC hires Covenant mercenaries to help them wipe out the scum of the universe of rogue prophets and brutes.

Your author,

SpartanSRS

Kudos to 405th for being such an inspiring forum

As well as to one of my dedicated artists animemannn

Chapter 1: Landfall

As the titanic frigate explodes out of slip space, electronics are fried and systems are shut down.

"Lieutenant! Damage report!" barked Admiral Parse.

"Sir, we've lost all systems in decks C and D." replied Capt. Ela.

"Joshua, have you detected any contacts in the vicinity?"

"No Admiral, although I have detected multiple... Never mind just look up" snapped the AI.

Admiral Parse looks up in horror. Hundreds. No, thousands of Covenant ships lay lifeless. Their hulks bleeding plasma into the mouth of space. Ahead lay seven planets, each equally aligned in a circle around the sun. The Admiral hadn't even noticed the sun. It glowed a deathly black. Coils of metal protruding out of it engulfing entire ships.

"Admiral, our Slip space drive is fried. We're stuck here," reported Cpl. Ryan.

"Send out some probes, I have a feeling... we're not alone here."

Encroaching darkness peered over the sun, waiting for its chance to strike.

"Men, we've discovered remains of a Covenant fleet, judging by the wreckage a gruesome battle must have taken place here. Our A.I has also detected life signs on the following planets. Planet one will be designated as Delta, and Planet two will be designated as Alpha. We will scour both the planets and ships to repair our broken frigate. Any questions?"

The officers and generals present nod in agreement. Each waiting for the next to take the next move. The Covenant mercenaries were the first to rise.

"How do we know the life forms aren't... hostile?"

"We don't. That's why we're sending an embassy down shortly to find out."

"Do we have any intel on these life forms?"

"From what Joshua's been able to gather, the first species go by the name of 'Drinols', we're unsure if they are a major threat."

The Elite grunts and leaves the room. A'vent Matri and his brother follow mindlessly hoping for something much more interesting to happen. Capt. Amup and Spartan 047 clamber out of their way, shuddering in the shadow of the hunters.

"Well, back to the point," begins Admiral Parse, "We'll need a couple of volunteers for the first reconnaissance team on Delta."

"Sir!" shouts Capt. Jakson, "The ODST will be glad to take your offer!"

"Very well, we'll need more than fifteen ODSTs to cover a planet now! Come on people!"

"Permission to speak sir," whispers Spartan 149.

"Permission granted."

"Surely the ODSTs will need some heavy support, let me and Spartan 151 watch over them."

"All volunteers are greatly appreciated, that about wraps it all up, dismissed."

Officers glance around for their platoons and the eerie Spartans slip into their chambers. This was going to be a long night.

In the ODST barracks each member helped each other equip their armor. Afterwards they headed into the armory. With dozens of guns to choose from their time spent was long. Next came the Spartans, each in unique ornate armors. Glints of gold sparkling off their visors from the dim fluorcent lights. Without emotion they picked up their weapons.

"Sir! Capt. Agib reporting for duty!" hollers the young and ambitious pelican pilot."

"So you'll be our pilot?" inquires Spartan 149.

"Sir yes sir! I've got the Warthogs ready to go and another pilot to transport the other squad."

"Good, we'll be seeing you shortly."

Transcending down through the wreckage was harder than we thought. The ODSTs couldn't risk an orbital drop due to the severe amount of wreckage. Capt. Agib struggled to dodge the floating harbingers of death. But he still got us out in one piece as did the other pilot. Examining the landscape hence smashing through the atmosphere we noticed large amounts of desert. This gave us a huge disadvantage. Were we to land we could be falling into a death trap. Joshua notified us that there were significant signs of Covenant chatter in the network. Giving a sign to Agib and the squad, guns locked and loaded we prepared to drop. Then it became a living nightmare.

Sandworms. Gouts of sand rocketed into the sky. Shrieks and roars echoed in the arid desert air.

"Capt. Agib take evasive action!" shouted Spartan 149.

"I can't! The engines are clogged with sand!"

"Capt. Jakson, what's your status?"

"We're still good to go you?"

"We're dead in the water, engines are clogged with sand, and the worms will come back any minute."

"We'll give you cover fire from the pelican, take the Warthog and get to the nearest mountain!"

"Roger that, good luck Captain."

"Good luck to you too," grimaced Capt. Jakson.

The Warthog roared to life, getting in while in the air was a risky thing. Capt. Agib was eased into the passenger seat and Spartan 151 manned the gunner seat.

"Hold on, this is going to be a rough ride," grunted Spartan 149.

The pelican was buffeted by worms and sand in the air. If they had lingered a few seconds later they would've been dead. Capt. Jakson's pelican opened fire with its entire load of missiles and the chain gun. They took down several worms but dozens replaced them. The Warthog twisted and turned to avoid the serpentine worms. Spartan 151 shot load after load into their thick thighs but it only fueled their rage.

"Spartan! We've run out of ammunition, we'll try to distract the worms and meet you at the mountain!" shouts Capt. Jakson.

"Negative! Send out a signal for reinforcements! We'll be dead before we reach the mountain!"

"Si-" The Captain was cut off.

Our transmission is too weak to send anything out now. Capt. Agib pulls out a Spartan laser from the trunk of the Warthog.

"I knew we would need this sooner or later."

Spartan 149 nods in approval. The worms spilled entrails of purple blood. Surprised by this new weapon they flee. Reaching the base of the mountain the team rests in a nearby cave.

"We're probably going to be stuck here for awhile." sighed Spartan 151.

"As long as we don't move and set up a visible signal for the others to see we'll be fine."

"Still..."

The light of the flares pierced the night sky; pelicans scoured the air at high altitudes. Not wanting their birds to be swallowed as Agib's did.

"Hey! I've found them, they're over by the base of the mountain," squawked Lt. Owens, "I'm beginning my descent to pick them up, watch my back."

"Roger that Owens." replied the others in unison.

The trio carefully loaded up into the pelican, each equally weary and tired.

"Looks like you guys have been through a hell of a battle eh?" remarked Owens.

The three murmured in agreement too tired to say anything. Just glad that they didn't have to put up with any more ambushes from mutant worms.

ANALYSIS:

Q&A

WHAT'S THE BLACK STAR? How'd this idea come up...?

A: Come up from idea a friend gave me... And the site that proved it kind of... http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=black-stars-not-holes

Spartans? Why so mysterious? What can we see from them in the future?

A: Spartans tend to be detached from their brother Marines, but as time goes on the bond between them grows as evidenced in this chapter. In the future you'll see that they are capable of extraordinary actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back