On file servers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katsu

Are there major implications for hosting the Halo files on a private server?

People have been complaining (rightfully so) lately about the problems with 4shared and similar sites, as they become more popular they start shoehorning in garbage to monetize off of it. And they become more and more invasive. It brings back memories of the slow march to "take everyone's data" spyware Kazaa and Napster became.

It may be prudent to look into a sort of donation service, and putting that money towards buying a year of VPN or similar, to host the pep files on. This way we could have someone manage the system and organize it in a system that makes it easy to find the files, download them, and so on without requiring we give a site our facebook info, our firstborn's stool sample, or whatever else they ask of us. If Microsoft were to come knocking though, it would not be fun, I don't know if 4shared has that concern or they just make it so hard to find files it doesn't matter. There is also the issue that most cheap web hosting services have very low bandwidth caps, and a file downloading service may cap that cap quickly, though a login service may fight that. I am more concerned about the legal implications, especially since I've hosted some of the files I've created on my own VPN.

This isn't a demand of the 405th staff, just poking the waters on possible alternatives to 4shared for the community as it becomes more problematic for us to use.

DropBox hosts up to 8 gigs of data that only people with the login to THAT set of data can get to, maybe we could try to head over there? My dad's work uses it, thats how I learned of it, and they've never had bandwidth or hosting problems, but they move massive amounts of data(nearly the full 8 gigs) per file so it seems to be a decent service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back