Original 3D model forums- Has anyone asked them for pep models?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth Knight

Hey everybody I just had a thought. Has anyone turned original 3D models into pepakura yet? With great sites/forums abounding all over the net it made me curious. I know that making an original pepakura model may not be the most popular, but it would certainly be cool.

Some of the sites that I thought of:

http://www.blender.org/
http://forums.3dtotal.com/index.php

There's countless more, but these two were the first I thought of.

-Seth

I've never used existing pep files, except for experimentation. Somehow, they always look slightly wrong to me. I much prefer to model my own.

I was just wandering if anyone has modeled any non-video game models into pepakura. I know there are really good modellers out there I was just wandering if anyone had taken some of those and made pep files out of them. It's something I wish I knew, but it's not something I'm going to learn any time soon.

I actually used it for prepress development of packaging. Some boxes and cd holders of my own design for work.

And all the models I make are original. I don't really rip them. I model them myself.

I'm with Rundown on this one. Game models are fine for seeing how it's all put together etc, but making your own provides not only satisfaction, but it also avoids most copyright problems. You can model anything and make it a pep file (.pdo). You should download something like Blender, or Milkshape. Read a few simple tutorials, and export your model as an .Obj. Import that into pepakura designer, and lay out the print. It's a great hobby.

Alright, I didn't mean to 'steal' other people's models, and maybe I will try modelling, but what I was wondering, was just if anyone had asked to make peps of already existing models (one's that have no duplicate in film or video games). I didn't mean to insinuate that I wanted to steal other's work, I was just wandering if they would want to make their models into real costumes. :p Sorry.

-Seth

I don't think anyone was implying you were intending to "steal models", mate. You should at least try modelling yourself though. When I started, there was hardly no information on how to do this. Now, there are tutorial sites everywhere, and even youtube videos. There have been a few people asking on this forum for their concept models to be made into pep. If you design a concept, perhaps you can get a modeller to assist you in creating this?

I don't think anyone was implying you were intending to "steal models", mate. You should at least try modelling yourself though. When I started, there was hardly no information on how to do this. Now, there are tutorial sites everywhere, and even youtube videos. There have been a few people asking on this forum for their concept models to be made into pep. If you design a concept, perhaps you can get a modeller to assist you in creating this?

Haha (sorry, inside joke), man do I make concept art, all of my drawing (which no one knows of :p ) is all concept art, I just don't have extra money to pay for people to model them for me, so I guess I may take a legitimate attempt at 3d modelling this weekend (if nothing comes up), I have downloaded blender, but if anyone knows a better easier (cough and free) program with good tutorials I WILL (says painfully) to try this just saying I have no prior experience lol.

-Seth

Haha (sorry, inside joke), man do I make concept art, all of my drawing (which no one knows of :p ) is all concept art, I just don't have extra money to pay for people to model them for me, so I guess I may take a legitimate attempt at 3d modelling this weekend (if nothing comes up), I have downloaded blender, but if anyone knows a better easier (cough and free) program with good tutorials I WILL (says painfully) to try this just saying I have no prior experience lol.

-Seth

I actually suggest you use blender. It would be easier to change to a more professional program if you would like to later. Like studio max or maya.

Alright, I'll stick with good ole blender, for tutorials should I use the ones provided by the website or an outside source? And also, how do I export different formats to pdo. files? Is there a program or do I just change "open file with program" blah blah blah?

P.S. And also, I know I'm far from it, but how complicated is it to model something from a reference picture? And any good links for absolutely noobs at moddelling would help tremendously. Thanks.

-Seth

Well, found out the modelling will be out of reach for a while, but pepakura unfolding is another thing. I'm trying my hand at a few now, so we'll see how this goes :D

Alright, I didn't mean to 'steal' other people's models, and maybe I will try modelling, but what I was wondering, was just if anyone had asked to make peps of already existing models (one's that have no duplicate in film or video games). I didn't mean to insinuate that I wanted to steal other's work, I was just wandering if they would want to make their models into real costumes. :p Sorry.

-Seth

Good luck my friend, I haven't grasped the basics at modeling, blender is hard to me that's why I use sketchup but don't use sketchup, it doesn't help much.

Good luck my friend, I haven't grasped the basics at modeling, blender is hard to me that's why I use sketchup but don't use sketchup, it doesn't help much.

Yeah, I'm not a modeller, I'm an artist and a visionary, if anyone wants a concept/character design I'm your man, making it into a pep model...not so much (though I wouldn't be against making designs for any costume.).

-Seth

Alright, I'll stick with good ole blender, for tutorials should I use the ones provided by the website or an outside source? And also, how do I export different formats to pdo. files? Is there a program or do I just change "open file with program" blah blah blah?

P.S. And also, I know I'm far from it, but how complicated is it to model something from a reference picture? And any good links for absolutely noobs at moddelling would help tremendously. Thanks.

-Seth

It's just training really. The more you do it, the better you will become. Modeling a standard helmet takes me 1 hour nowadays.

It's just training really. The more you do it, the better you will become. Modeling a standard helmet takes me 1 hour nowadays.

*envy* ugh... Yeah, I understand the whole conditioning, it's like any art form, practice makes perfect. Still, I have a enough to keep me busy for now, s it's going to be a while before I try again.

-Seth

seriously!?!?!? What the heck is happening to all the threads around here getting spammed like the above post?!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back