Our Story so far, Mark VI Armor w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update, this project it still ongoing, I haven't done anything as far a progress pics because, frankly I've been pissed off at it. So far the fit and finish is driving me nuts, I am capable of so much better than I am doing, but in the time frame I have to finish it I am worried it's going to become a hack job and look like crap in the end. Well look for finished pics by the end of the week. Well it better be because the event I was building it for is on the 23rd. After that I'm going to do a piece by piece teardown and rebuild of the entire thing.

profilepic21064_4.gif

It's hard to belive that this project is drawing to a close very soon, as I stand right now I have 95% of the padding and strapping done, and a few peices that need detail color. and one pain in my butt shin peice. I repeped the cod piece and the front of the bicep peices and didn't get much more in depth than that. Here are a few pics I took earlier today, I have a lot of assembly done since then but haven't done pics of that because I don't want the flash waking everyone in the house up. most likely this will be my last update... though look for finished pics by saturday night, come hell or high water that is zero hour for me.

10-20avatarupdate.jpg

badonkadonk
100_1708.jpg

The bane of my build, I hate this peice, I really do... it has taken every ounce of self control not to scale this thing into the woods. If I knew I'd have time I would have scrapped it and started over again, after satuday this part can burn in hell for all I care!
100_1709.jpg

100_1710.jpg

Gloves with handplates, nothing special. didn't go all out on these due to time, will revisit later
100_1713.jpg

Right forarm done, complete with inintentional battle damage!
100_1715.jpg

Pile of parts, front boot covers ( don't think the back will be ready in time) Left forarm and the repepped bicep fronts.
100_1712.jpg

Both biceps (the right one is in the box, forgot to take pic of it) New improved, not quite as warpped cod piece
100_1711.jpg

Not the greatest pic of the detail work I did on the front of the chest peice.

100_1716.jpg

Thighs (yes that is blue foam and duck tape) and the shin that didn't give me a hard time, as well as my harness for hooking it all up.
100_1717.jpg

Very nice!

I like the color scheme, I'm also painting mine blue just a slightly darker shade (and I'm accenting it with gold rather than black)

Duct tape = win so no worries about using it, looks great and you wont be able to tell once you put it on.

Your whole suit looks very crisp and I haven't seen any warpage on it, just a quick question with your shin did you have to scale it any smaller or larger than the rest of the suit? I noticed you said you had some trouble with it, I won't get to that till after winter but I had to make my forearms a bit bigger than the rest of the suit to fit my hands through them.

This is great work.

I'm stealing the foam/duct tape inner thigh idea!

Well done.

*Edit*
Damn, just noticed you're in Maine! Any chance of you getting to Halifax NS at the end of the month? We have our first annual science fiction convention, "HalCon", at that time. It looks as if you have built many of the same models I have (although your quality is superior). Two MC's would be awesome! There's also a guy in New Brunswick who's just completed a blue suit.

@ Omega, The scaling was perfect one the first try, and everything fit prefect when it was in paper form, once it was glassed things didn't flex like before, so I had to do trimming on both claves so I could get them on. The left on in particular I had issue while doing the fiberglass, I wound up having to do it in two stages because of the wieght in the top of it, still this one wound up more warped than anything. What you can't see is the amount of Bondo I had to use on them to fix the warpage. There are a few peices that I will probably scale down a bit when I revisit this in the spring, and other need to be a bit bigger around (thighs and chest)

@Roadkiller, by all means thats what this is all about sharing info and ideas. As far a HalCon, seems pretty cool, and I wish I had more notice. Dosen't seem like I'd be able to swing it if it's at the end of the month. regardless I could just imagine my a trip through customs with my armor. let alone prop weapons, heck I dno't knoww if I need a pasport now or just giver up my first born at the border, I don't get out much so I don't pay attention. If you could get me link to the info, it is something I may be able to plan for next year if this takes off.

So as I sit right now the final parts have paint or glue drying, gonna take some pics and post them when everything is back together... Have to wait till tomorrow to see me wearing it around though. I've been in and out if it during fitting so many times today I need a rest, dunno why it never dawned on me to do pics while I was fitting though.

... As far a HalCon, seems pretty cool, and I wish I had more notice. Dosen't seem like I'd be able to swing it if it's at the end of the month. .

I thought not, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

regardless I could just imagine my a trip through customs with my armor. let alone prop weapons, heck I dno't knoww if I need a pasport now or just giver up my first born at the border, ... .

Either will do, the passport is cheaper.

If you could get me link to the info, it is something I may be able to plan for next year if this takes off..

That would be awesome! We could troop the 405th's colours. Check it out here: http://www.hal-con.com/

... gonna take some pics and post them when everything is back together... .

Looking forward to it.

... dunno why it never dawned on me to do pics while I was fitting though.

Senior or blonde moment? :)

too funny Roadkill, definatly something I may look into next year.

And here we are, My last project update. Yes ladies and gentlemen, this is no longer a WIP! Well okay as long as I know I am revisiting it in the spring part by part it will alway be a work in progress. Though for all intents and purposes I am saying this is a 99.8% complete project (the other .2% it the other half of the boots, didn't quite make it in there) Enjoy the pics. I'll still answer questions and comments, but I will no longer update the status of this build after this.

SO happy to be green!
finishedupdate.jpg

100_1734.jpg

100_1733.jpg

100_1726.jpg

100_1724.jpg

100_1723.jpg

100_1721.jpg

100_1720.jpg

100_1719.jpg

And my newly finished (okay almost) M6D to go with it.
100_1727.jpg

Well there you go, I started this project July 5th, and here we are 3 months and change later, and it has been an experience. I know a lot of what not to do's now, given more time, I know I could make this phenominal.

Overall I'd rate this as a 7 of 10 on difficulty, and I give this a 5 of 10 on my overall ability, I know I can do better than this, and plan on proving it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back