Oven Visor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kr0ner

Hey Guys ... so this will be my first post on this great forum, hope u'll like it :-D

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Safety first !

1: Only use fire resistant materials

2: Keep an eye on your plexiglass while its in your oven

3: Do not overheat ! 150 °C is enough to melt the plexi

____________________________________________________________________________________________

i've tried several methods to create a custom visor out of plexiglas ... all failed :-/

after all these fails i decide to put my molded visor part + plexiglass into our kitchen oven ...

just cause i wanted to know what comes out ^^ ... attached some nuts to the glass and after some cutting this is what came out :

molded visor part

0807090246.jpg

plexiglas + nuts in the oven

0807092148.jpg

see-thru test

0807092226.jpg

still a lil bit too big on the top to fit in there

0807092236.jpg

so what do you think ? ^^

looks great, but as for tinting it your plan to use the car window tint most likely won't work. Think of it as trying to cleanly wrap a piece of paper wound a ball, it won't work as well as you think it will. But hey it nevber hurts to try.

hopefully there is enough plexiglass left to make more visors so i can test all the methods ;-)

@ ldropboy94 : i bought the glass at a do-it-yourself store around here ... its called BayWa, but i think they only have shops here in Germany ^^

Kr0ner said:
hopefully there is enough plexiglass left to make more visors so i can test all the methods ;-)

@ ldropboy94 : i bought the glass at a do-it-yourself store around here ... its called BayWa, but i think they only have shops here in Germany ^^

what about trying this again but have the tinting on before you put it in the oven

nice job tho mate a new method for making a visor

Last edited by a moderator:
adventSpartanMatrix said:
what about trying this again but have the tinting on before you put it in the oven

nice job tho mate a new method for making a visor

good idea :) thats going to be tested

I wonder how well well it would work with one of the pre-tinted visors, or if the heat and bending would ruin the reflective coating?

Nice job. thats what i was planning on doing, but actually using a vacuum also. would the plexiglass work into slight details like the concave parts on the hayabusa helm. Theres 2 small x's that go inward, unlike all other visors. or should i make the visor details male (going out) on the inside, instead of being female (going in) on the outside?

Cool work!! Never seen anybody try that and I'm pretty surprised at how well it worked!! Just dremmel the part that's too big and you'll have a nie, clear visor!! :lol

That's pretty sweet! A few questions for you though:

• What thickness of plexi did you use?
  • What temperature was the oven?
  • How long did you keep it in there for?

Ah...the things you can when you have no budget but plenty of ingenuity. I'm going to have to try using something like this sometime if I don't want to try and hunt down/build up a vacuum forming rig just yet. =P

Looking forward to seeing how tinting it turns out also!

thank god you didn't burn down your house. I highly recommend making sure to take all precautions so you DONT BURN DOWN YOUR HOUSE!

Tabularo said:
That's pretty sweet! A few questions for you though:

• What thickness of plexi did you use?
  • What temperature was the oven?
  • How long did you keep it in there for?

[*] I used a 2mm one for this visor ... and i have tried 2,5 mm aswell with less success :-/

[*] started @ 100 Degrees (celsius) and later went up to 150 °

[*] Hm ... im not quite sure how long it has been in the oven ... maybe 15 minutes ?

just sit in front of it and watch it melt down ^^

Adam said:
thank god you didn't burn down your house. I highly recommend making sure to take all precautions so you DONT BURN DOWN YOUR HOUSE!

Don't panic Adam :-D

everything was under control and fire extinguisher has been right next to me ... i dont want my house to be burnt down aswell ;-)

That's a neat DIY method for slumping plexiglass, but as Adam said, I'm amazed you didn't set fire to it all. Is that paper and a plastic drink container under that? You should really be using fire-safe materials inside the oven.

Neat idea, and proof of concept, but I think you should do a little more material research to find how to do this safely before recommending this method to others.

There are plenty of video's on Youtube and Instructables showing how to safely form plastic in you home oven. Check em' out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back