Paintball armor under construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenzeigan

Hey guyz, i recently got into paintballing with a few of my friends, so were saving for our own guns now, they were going to buy their body armor, but to save money i intend to make my own armor

now i know people have safety issues with paintball masks from pepakura ect ect, dont worry, its all safe, i have a normal paintball mask suitable and im adding extras to it, so its all safe

when i have more fibreglass n resin i will make a tutorial on how to do it, below are pictures of my paintball mask under construction, using cardboard im adding an external protection for he top and the back of my head,

its just a basic frame from cardboard, will bondo it when its done

pics :
the fibreglass is drying right now so no pics atm of that
DSC00497.png

now for the body armor,
this is a little tutorial for making body suits for it,

unfortunately i have no pictures for this yet but when i start doing it i will use pictures,

Items needed:
Old coat with puches or layers of some sort
paper/cardstock
fibreglass mat
fibreglass resin/hardener
scizzors
sewing string and needle

i intend to do this by merely cutting open each pouch of the coat, then getting a piece of card cut tofit in the patch perfectly, i plan to simply fibreglass the cardstock and put it in the puch and sew it back up, then repeat this on all puches of the coat

i dont know if it works, but i ill work on it soon, i wouldnt recomend trying this until i have made a full tutorial with pictures and i have tested it

-Zen

LastSpartan said:
I recommend finishing before making the tutorial :D

yeah, i dont want anybody else to attempt it and go wrong aswell, a real tutorial will be up when its finished

Last edited by a moderator:
No nice looking suit of armor will withstand paint ball, the suit itself immobilizes 75% of your freedom, so on the field, you will be a easy target.

AoBfrost said:
No nice looking suit of armor will withstand paint ball, the suit itself immobilizes 75% of your freedom, so on the field, you will be a easy target.

dont worry, i wasnt thinking of anything big like halo armor, when i say armor, i mean just protection, the chestpiece will probabily be an old vest that bhas been resined to make it hard, it wont be visible and will be worn UNDERNEATH the paintsuit they give you, my old calfs i made crom cardstock and fibreglassed easily withstanded paintballs, my friend tested them for me, and it wiped off easily, im not talking external armor that shows off, im just merely using mine to lessen the pain,

I paintball all the time and you will die in a full helmet it gets so hot. and lens fogging is a pain too. Be careful

neo said:
I paintball all the time and you will die in a full helmet it gets so hot. and lens fogging is a pain too. Be careful

just ordered a anti fog lens and a bottle of anti fog spray, plus, ill be adding vents all over it, another thing is fans, you can buy mini fans to attatch to the inside

Save your money and ball without armor man. I used the money I would have spent on armor to buy gun accessories. If you play often enough the shot doesn't even hurt, and if you don't play often enough you'll get used to it after a game or two..... OR you'll learn not to get shot. :D (You should always always wear the head gear though)

leegrisham said:
Save your money and ball without armor man. I used the money I would have spent on armor to buy gun accessories. If you play often enough the shot doesn't even hurt, and if you don't play often enough you'll get used to it after a game or two..... OR you'll learn not to get shot. :D (You should always always wear the head gear though)

agreed on the headgear

im going to buy a tippman 95, theyre also known as the most customizable paintball gun around, also one of the cheapest, ill probabily add a scope and laser pointer and.. well ya know... allsorts

bilsy28 said:
Paintball Goes Through Fiberglass

erm.. i dont know what your using, its been tested and it easily worked for me... you sure your not using fibreglass tissue? because that stuff is terrible

fibreglass mat can easily take paintballs

and we tested it with one of the top range guns

I just recently did a test of several combinations of 2 layer FG and resin, and both survived very well. The only problems were where there was no fiberglass, only resin. That stuff will break from a PB easy. It's in the noob forum if anyone's interested.

Kroden

Kroden said:
I just recently did a test of several combinations of 2 layer FG and resin, and both survived very well. The only problems were where there was no fiberglass, only resin. That stuff will break from a PB easy. It's in the noob forum if anyone's interested.

Kroden

alright thanks, ill take it into consideration

3 layers will do me i think

I have been (and still am, just to a lesser degree) big into paintball for a while now, and I have some comments. From your pictures it looks like you plan to cover the top and back of your mask. Now there's nothing wrong with that, but I don't know of any paintball game variant where the opposite team is behind you. To me, it just doesn't make sense to cover up an area that isn't necessarily a target, unless of course your turning your tail and running away ;).

Also be careful to try and make the whole thing detachable, because I believe somewhere in the heap of safety regulations there is a rule about not modifying masks. It is of course the most important piece of paintball equipment. I'm just trying to save you some weight here, things get heavier on hot days out in the field. Also, don't flash the body armor around, you'll get labeled as a noob and/or sissy (speaking from experience).

PS. Tippman 98's are great guns, I'm a proud owner :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back