Paintball Or Airsoft To Assault Rifle Idea (Discussion/pre-Wip Stage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

miscdude

After lurking here for a little while and seeing a video on youtube where someone had an airsoft Assault Rifle, I started wondering how someone would go about building one. After some research, I found a user here who used pepakura around a paintball gun, which seems like it would work but there would be a significant amount of work required to make it all mesh together properly. Then I saw Adam's Assault Rifle molds, and thought: What if you had an airsoft gun, with an ammo-loading system in the back (such as with the Famas or AUG) placed it into the mold before you poured in the plastic? I realize that you would have to modify the mold and probably add multiple areas for the plastic to enter based on what got maybe cut off or whatever, but it would be a very solid, hopefully operational set up. I imagine for places where you may want to keep the plastic from entering (such as the trigger) you could just fill the space with clay. Not entirely sure how well this would work, so I wanted to ask you more experienced people before I make my venture into buying airsoft guns and making an Assault Rifle to be put into a cast.

gundiagram.png

Basically showing how the concept MIGHT play out. Remove all the bits in white, and keep the yellow pink and green parts (dark meaning additions to the pieces, light meaning removal) to try and get it to all fit. The problem with the Famas model would be the spring not having much room, and the barrel/trigger not really lining up, hence the angled barrel. But it's a start.

AEG.gif

The basic run down of how a semi-automatic battery powered airsoft gun works. It would be easiest to use the battery method, but incorporating the battery in the already part heavy stock may be a problem. I'm not too sure I want to bank with using the grip either, seeing as its not a common shape.

gundiagram2.png
(I certainly hope Adam does not mind me using this picture)

Noticed after looking through this a few times that it could use a little bit of a visual into how to place the items into the mold. Blue would be the predicted battery placement, I suppose. This would be the basic rundown, from an inexperienced view, and I would have to use maybe other bits of plastic to make a shape that would keep the pieces all functioning. Maybe make those pieces out of foam. Anyways, you should get the picture by now.

To reiterate, this is a project I am to start working on fairly soon, but before I get too deep into it I would really appreciate some help as I am fairly new to general prop construction and plastic molds/casts. If this is in the wrong place or should be a PM-related subject, I apologize. When searching the stickies, the only people I found to PM were people for armor questions, and the link didn't appear to work.

I was thinking about a battle rifle as well. The problem I run into is I don't know if I would have to angle the barrel or something to make it all fit, and if the gun wasn't accurate but it had the scope on it, if ever I was to use it I think it would thoroughly confuse me when the shot didn't line up with the scope. Then there's the problem with the BR firing -- Any replica airsoft famas I could find was either spring action or fully automatic, not burst fire. I'm really nit-picky with things like that. With the AR it seems like it almost should be inaccurate, what with no iron sights and a generally strange design, and fully automatic airsoft guns are pretty easy to come by. In fact I believe I found a gun which would satisfy both the space concern and any money issues when an error may occur in stripping the gun.

EM-UM-606.jpg

This mini fully auto electric AUG has everything I need for the build, is tiny and compact, but best of all is only $15.

ok first thing first, you are looking at a picture of a V2 gearbox, the one in the Famas is a Version 1, which is probably why the buttstock is so long. this also means you cant cut the extra length off like i think you were hoping you could. but i may have a solution, because you will not be able to have it cockeyed, it would be impractical to play like that. it will take some time to make sure that you dont mess up any internals doing it, but if you remove the top bar, then start sanding it down, to remove as much of the top as you can you might be able to push it up enough in the mold that you wont have to cockeye it. now the problem with this is that the stock os going to be extra long, because im 99% sure thats where the battery is, and im 100% sure that the gearbox is back there.but if you can cast the mold around that using those tips you could be much better off, just know this, the bottom of that gun is such that you will feel that it is aiming too far down, and adjust up, making your shots go up, add to that any cockeye, and the problem only gets worse.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=3985

now if you want a futuristic airsoft gun that you can buy one of these

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=139_24_166&products_id=4030

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=139_24_166&products_id=3583

or if you want to go where few have you can build one of these

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ProductDetail?prodID=11961

and you can do that for the most part with these parts

this is the gun its self

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=5636

these are the extra parts

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=5162

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=5183

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=5036

and if you aren't sure about KS just know its the company of p90 that echo 1 re brands.

you may also choose to add a silencer

http://www.airsoftgi.com/index.php?cPath=30_39

Hey,

To solve the space issue. You could use an AEP, like the M93R AEP or Glock 18C AEP. Maybe you could even use a gas blow back M11.

Id say try a Glock 18C AEP, you can get ones for £50 or so from various UK sites. It would fit in really easily. Only thing is you would have to trim, cut and shape an AEG inner barrel to fit into the hop unit.

If you need help on this i can help quite alot but if not then have a look on www.arniesairsoft.co.uk, Its a big friendly airsoft forum.

Hope ive been of help.

i agree with bankz, if you dont ming single fire, and a small mag, cutting it down yourself. you might even be able to replace the barrel with a rifle barrel, but if you plan on using an AEP you need to get a ton of clips, but this way you can make a model of the mag and have it permanently in the right place, and just reload through the pistol grip

ouu, nice planning :p

I'm going to take a break from my Paintball AR for a bit. I'm thinking of a way to make it harder. Maybe I'll add a Buzz Bee Plasma Blaster instead of the pep. But I don't like how its so short. We'll see. Looking like there's alot of planning into going to your project :pgood luck!

Your idea is pretty cool , i'm allready working on this , using the Blue print of Wizard of light , i'm working on the SMG , the Riffle ( with working ammo counter :) ) and the ODST pistol . The idea using the FAMAS is not a really good choice , the gearbox of this rifle is pretty heavy and it will be hard to wire it du to the strange position and mecanism of the trigger . For the Rifle , the best choice will be the Marui P90 one , due to the small size and the trigger instalation . For the pistol , the Socoùm is and will stay the best choice ever and for the SMG the Marui MP7 one , same as the P90 but smaller than it ^^. I'll posting some pictures of what i think , maybe tomorow .

Airsoft Commando;

Thank you sincerely for clearing up many of the logistics of fitting the Famas into the AR build. I have since decided entirely against the Famas, leaning more toward a p90 or AUG model. The links provided are very interesting, and I wouldn't mind looking into buying a higher quality rifle for the internals after I make my first AR, so as to learn as much as I can before potentially blowing lots of money away. I appreciate all of your help and have bookmarked the pages for future use.

As for your second post, I do have a problem with it being single fire, although battery operated automatic pistols aren't that uncommon. A rifle barrel addition would definitely be a must. if I do end up relinquishing the care for a rear clip and automatic firing, I might just go with the Mauser Scout Rifle seen here and just get a smaller Mauser clip and hide it into the grip of the AR.

LT-GRAVE;

Any chance I could get more pictures of that? Any details on how you made it? It looks very clean and well done, and it's certainly very interesting.

po3saucez;

Honestly, as long as the accuracy is at least in the general direction in which I'm pointing it and it fires, I don't mind. Again one of the reasons that I chose the AR over the BR--Accuracy is less important to me if the gun has no scope.

bankz5152;

I never really thought about using a pistol to minimize space issues. It would work well if I was not so adamant about the positioning of the clip, but as I said before, I'm rather nit-picky about things that I build. I could still maybe have the clip come out but just use the pistol clip if the space is still an issue after the mini-AUG.

MikyVengeance;

Thank you. You noticed my reference to your topics, I assume. Making it harder and durable was the reason for my plastic casting idea, maybe you could try it yourself and see how it turns out? Could help us both out :D

Versinke;

Thank you for your input. As I said, I no longer have any interest in trying to fit the Famas into the gun. If the mini-AUG doesn't work then yes, the p90 is my next step. I look forward to your progress :)

No probleme , for the mini Steyr , the box maybe too big to fit correctly , have looked around , and instead of FAMAS , P90 you can use MP7 one or maybe Ingram one too , those are very little due to the lack of space into the Ingram and the MP7 . The whole problem will come of the Bullpup system . Thos Box aren't made for that so you problem have to redisgne the whole interior of the rifle . If you wanna make a very accurate one , try using Gas system . Sure they aren't cheap so far but the weight and the Blowback are very very accurate .

For my project i'm trying the whole two , i got probleme with blowback but the Shooting frequency is very very good . I'm working one the Ammo counter , that the most important part , that's why i'm not posting photos at the moment. But be sure that i'll post some ( into my own thread as well :) ) whenever i can :)

As i have the entire day free , i've looked for all things to do the Rifle , the entire probleme is the lack of space . I explain , the Bullpup systeme use the gearbox in the full back of the gun but the riffle didn't got space for the Mag and the Box , so my idea is to load BB-s from an other space and use the mag for gas or battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back