Painting Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrUeKiLa

So I've looked around some threads, Google, and YouTube and cant find anyone to give me a concise answer on how to actually paint Foam and how to get it to stay without cracking. Any advice?

I always used my favorite and probably everyone's, f
1st: Heat thy foam up.
2nd: Then a can or two of plastidip, I usually use the black one and do a light coat first, then medium, then just full coverage.
3rd: Its not necessary but I do and that's use a primer/filler combo.
4th: You should be good and paint away, I'll load an armor that I did the exact process for.
5th: Clear coat it, my favorite is some Krylon Varnish, very flexible and won't crack.

I wore this puppy a multitude of times, no cracks!
20200508_172042.jpg

I always used my favorite and probably everyone's, f
1st: Heat thy foam up.
2nd: Then a can or two of plastidip, I usually use the black one and do a light coat first, then medium, then just full coverage.
3rd: Its not necessary but I do and that's use a primer/filler combo.
4th: You should be good and paint away, I'll load an armor that I did the exact process for.
5th: Clear coat it, my favorite is some Krylon Varnish, very flexible and won't crack.

I wore this puppy a multitude of times, no cracks!
View attachment 290223

That looks amazing but what is Plastidip? Is it like spraypaint?

From what I heard from the research I gathered on other forums & YouTube . Use acrylics paint after you plastidipped it as it gives some flexibility over oil based paints then topcoat it with clearcoat plastidip very lightly, it would dull the paint underneath a bit but it would make it last longer & don't have to worry about paint flakes.

If you're like Australia and Plastidip cost $30 a pop, then either Mod Podge or Flexbond work well. They are water based and can be wet sanded to smooth out and are a little flexible, but also quite cheap. If they wrinkle, you can carefully use a heat gun on it to fix it.
It's not painting, but sealing is just as important. Punished Props covered a variety of ways to seal foam here:

If you're like Australia and Plastidip cost $30 a pop, then either Mod Podge or Flexbond work well. They are water based and can be wet sanded to smooth out and are a little flexible, but also quite cheap. If they wrinkle, you can carefully use a heat gun on it to fix it.
It's not painting, but sealing is just as important. Punished Props covered a variety of ways to seal foam here:

Would that be similar to like FlexSeal here in the States?

I'm in canada, and plastidip retails for about 30$ a can wich is not an option on a student's budget. i found that latex wall paint is really good with foam! it sticks well and it is very flexible and does not crack. I must admit, it might not be the most resistent paint to wear and tear, but when it comes to a point where even the foam is getting damaged, no paint would prevent that. but honnetly for about 50$ for a whole paint job, it's pretty good, also considering i suited up about 20 times in the last year, about 97% of the paint job is still in excelent condition! i think thats a win in my book :)

I'm in canada, and plastidip retails for about 30$ a can wich is not an option on a student's budget. i found that latex wall paint is really good with foam! it sticks well and it is very flexible and does not crack. I must admit, it might not be the most resistent paint to wear and tear, but when it comes to a point where even the foam is getting damaged, no paint would prevent that. but honnetly for about 50$ for a whole paint job, it's pretty good, also considering i suited up about 20 times in the last year, about 97% of the paint job is still in excelent condition! i think thats a win in my book :)
Join the Leak Seal gang, it's usually $14 at Canadian Tire but often goes on sale for $11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back