Paper Mache Costume

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaultDweller101

Hello Everyone,

so, i'm unable to make a helmet the traditional way.( i.e. resin, bondo, etc.) due to the hazardous content. So, i was wondering if anybody has ever made a Paper Mache helmet? this thread is kind of just for pics, as well as a answer to my quest.

P.S. a guide or something would do fine, THANKS!

Of course people have. Use search or google - you'll find many examples.

There are so may types of material you can use to make your helmet safely w/o hazardous material. Foam, cardboard, paper-mache, foam-board......

spartan helmet.jpgfoam-board shell w/ an outer coating of paper-macheIMG_4423r.jpg....you can make it out of anything you can imagine.

Would it be a concern
about water based glues & such
having earlier coats get softened by additional coats?

Not like melting away, obviously, but more prone to lose rigidity and warping if the 'dried' glue is just semi-water-resistant and not water proof? I used to use diluted white glue as a sealer for balsa airplanes, and I know the first coat was affected by trying to mop on 2nd coat

Well if your using waterproof glue and try to dilute it w/ water.......is't not going to work. You'll end up w/ a soupy mess that is going to ruin your piece. What you can do is use the waterproof undiluted mix on the outside jut to harden things up a bit. Then on the inside, use the regular wood glue (not waterproof flavor) and strips of cloth....as if you were fiber-glassing....just w/o the fiber-glass and resin. Soak each strip and place inside. The helmet won't turn to mush because the outside has the waterproof coating....it will keep everything from seeping out and keep the shape. Now the outside will be the tricky part.........I'm sure that paper-mache will cover any gap or hole there is.....it might even smoothen out some of the edges......it will not however fill in any indentation or warping during manufacture which there always is. Some times during the build you hold the helmet in just the wrong way an indentation is formed......paper-mache will only follow the path of the paper.....it won't hide it or fill just that spot.......for that you need some type of filler. If bondo is out you can try drywall Spackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back