Papper/Cardboard vrs Molding/etc (Help needed guys, thanks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John117

Jr Member
Ok, One thing I am really thinking hard on doing is making my own MC armor. I have never done any of this stuff before, have no exp with fiberglass or epoxy, and to top it off, I have not folded to many paper planes in my time. I have common sense, and am academically smart, just not mechanical savvy or in this case, building savvy. (heh) I really want to do this.

I also want it to last a LONG TIME, and be resistant to the common weather effects, and not have to run away like a little girl when it rains.

Is there anyone out there that could help me out?

One way is to kind of answer the tittle of this thread. Which is better.

I am looking for information more then anything. Also, I am around 6'4'', skinny, and I am close to 19. Thanks guys!

Cheers!

-John117.

Well, you could at least give pepakura a small try to get the feel of it and see if that's an option before you exclude it completely ;)

Plus, it will give you an idea of scaling.

Mobeus said:
Well, you could at least give pepakura a small try to get the feel of it and see if that's an option before you exclude it completely ;)

Looks around, what the devil did you say? Did I exclude it completely? I can't seem to recall the nature of words in which the context of my post could possibly relate to me excluding anything. :p :lindsey:

I am always however looking to save some time. :) Thanks for the response man! :bard:

PS: Is it quicker to go pepakura frist, and then mold or something around that model? :( Idk :$ops:

Cheers!

-John117.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you cover the Pep Helmet in Fiberglass and paint and then put a protective clear coat on it, it'll be 100 percent waterproof

John117. said:
Mobeus said:

Looks around, what the devil did you say? Did I exclude it completely? I can't seem to recall the nature of words in which the context of my post could possibly relate to me excluding anything. :p :lindsey:

I am always however looking to save some time. :) Thanks for the response man! :bard:

PS: Is it quicker to go pepakura frist, and then mold or something around that model? :( Idk :$ops:

Cheers!

-John117.

Oh, I never said that, I just said give it a try before you exclude it completely ;)

And as a response to the PS: I would say it would be an easier task to do a mold out of pepakura, as then you'd get all the correct measurements, as opposed to trying to do it from scratch with say; clay :)

Ironcobra3000 said:
If you cover the Pep Helmet in Fiberglass and paint and then put a protective clear coat on it, it'll be 100 percent waterproof

Yes, but how well will it hold up if I sleep in it? I tend to kick and toss a lot in bed.... (aka, how will it hold up ;-) )

Cheers!

-John 117.

Fiberglass should hold up if you put at least a layer on the outside and inside, and maybe a second layer on the front, it'll help make it tougher, and if you plan on sleeping in it, Put LOTS of Padding/cushioning in it to make it comfy

John117. said:
Ironcobra3000 said:

Yes, but how well will it hold up if I sleep in it? I tend to kick and toss a lot in bed.... (aka, how will it hold up ;-) )

Cheers!

-John 117.

Sleepy Chief?
Dedicated, eh? ^^
Listen to Ironcobra regarding the padding. Apparently he's experienced in the night-time helmet field ;)

Mobeus said:
John117. said:
Ironcobra3000 said:

Cheers!

-John 117.

Sleepy Chief?
Dedicated, eh? ^^
Listen to Ironcobra regarding the padding. Apparently he's experienced in the night-time helmet field ;)

Its ok, I am sure he's not alone. ;-)

So paper really rules over plastic eh? What about painting. Is it harder on fiber glass? Will I lose detail on it?

thanks guys!

Cheers!

-John117.

Well... it depends
Plastic is Good if you plan on making more then one set of armor, but Paper is a pain at first and you don't have to sculpt, make a mold, and then pour Liquid plastic, either way they can both be rewarding, Regarding fiberglass, just make sure its in a well ventilated area, those fumes are dangerous :eek

Ironcobra3000 said:
Well... it depends
Plastic is Good if you plan on making more then one set of armor, but Paper is a pain at first and you don't have to sculpt, make a mold, and then pour Liquid plastic, either way they can both be rewarding, Regarding fiberglass, just make sure its in a well ventilated area, those fumes are dangerous :eek

But can be very rewarding to the mind too. :eyebrows:

But on a serious note, what did Adam use?

Cheers!

-John117.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back