Pepakura Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've got it ready, do you mix the resin and body filler or just resin the paper on the out first? What about fiberglass matting?
Resin the paper first. One thin coat of resin, you don't want it to warp. It's a good idea to reinforce the flat areas with popsickle sticks if you haven't already. After that one thin coat has dried, you can add another coat or two. I would still suggest doing them pretty thin to assure no warping.

This is what I've got.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 183
The resin and fiberglass cloth or mat will go on the inside of the piece. The other option is make the resin and Bondo/automotive body filler mixture called "rondo" and pour and slush that inside the piece.

You will not achieve enough strength with just resin alone to make a wearable piece. You need one of those other strengthening methods, either fiberglass cloth or mat with resin, or mixing resin and b on do together and spreading it around.

Once you have strengthened it, then you can apply the Bondo or other automotive body filler to the outside to carve or sculpt details into.

I do two thin (half coats) of resin on the outside first, then one thick layer on the inside. Then you're ready to either fiberglass or "Rondo" or both.

And on masking tape, if it is a decent one (not the dollar store) then it has been proven to hold up to resin. I'd just emphasize the thin layers. Feels a lot like painting an eggshell frame around your pepakura. Once its dried enough to hold its shape then you can lather it on on the inside.

I can be hard in just a few hours...enough so that it can be worked on.....The weather and temperature do factor in though. The colder it is, the longer the cure time. Also an improper mix can sku the end product which again lengthen the cure time.

So, I can't find any relevant information anywhere on the internet about how they did the visor in the odst live action trailer. It has a clear visor, and the motorized piece behind it that is tinted. If you watch when he hit the ground in his pod his visor lowers. Can anyone help me figure out what they used to get that to work?

That sounds like it may be a little complicated to replicate. May be easier to do what others have done . With just putting leds inside to light up your face. Makes the visor look almost clear. Also your pepped helmet came out well. Can't wait to see it finished and painted

So, I can't find any relevant information anywhere on the internet about how they did the visor in the odst live action trailer. It has a clear visor, and the motorized piece behind it that is tinted. If you watch when he hit the ground in his pod his visor lowers. Can anyone help me figure out what they used to get that to work?

The color changing visors in the live action ODST commercials were a digital effect, not a practical one. The actors had clear visors that were then cgi'd to change color/tint.

One more coat to go. And no one told me this stuff gets hot af. I burned my hand as I was about to dispose of the bowl.

MajorAwesome, it's just one of those things that you forget to mention since "Everyone" knows about it. Resin gets hot prior to curing........now you know. Also, no need to post a new reply when you were the last ....just edit and add on to your last posting.

One more coat to go. And no one told me this stuff gets hot af. I burned my hand as I was about to dispose of the bowl.
You should be sure to research all materials you use. Fiber glass can be hazardous. You should always wear proper equipment, gloves, and respirators when using this stuff. You do not want glass fibers in your lungs. Some chemicals because they generate their own heat can be self combustible. so be sure rags and solvents aren't left lying around or clumped up somewhere. All chemicals come with MSDS sheets you should read in full as well. Costume Safely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back