Pepakura Armor: Aussie Style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Berzerker said:
That's alright, ya learn by asking questions :mrgreen: It's made from A4 Cardboard assembled with a Hot Glue Gun

You mentioned A4 paper, is that similair in thickness to the cardboard used in a shoe box? Is it thicker than posterboard, or cardboard paper?

We have a craft store here locally called micheals, but not sure where else to get something thicker than posterboard. Maybe a print shop?

DM

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it was just A4 Cardboard sheets that I bought from my local newsagent. If I had to guess I'd say its thinner than the shoe box type of cardboard u are thinking of and thicker than just normal paper. It's still fairly stiff, but easy enuff to fold to get all the angles right prior to assembly with the glue gun :mrgreen:

ok..........i was up all night and ive nearly finnished the helmet... :hyper: BUT! theres a problem the helmet.....well......its about twice the size of my head!!!! OMG! cn i make them smaller somehow on paperika.
it looks good and it was fun, to make im planning on making the body armour but il need to find a source of harder card, i live in the uk so does ne1 know where i could buy some?

oh and for the helmet i used heavy weight cartrige paper its very similar to card

Yeah considering the Armor was designed for someone built like a brick out-house and 7+ feet tall, i'd imagine it would be a bit big for u :)

Anyways, to resize the patterns, click on the 'Recalculate Parts Layout' button (Top left corner, 2nd row, second from the left, looks like 4 little squares), then Click on the 'Specify Value' check to be able to alter the size of the patterns.

I think alot of people fell into the trap of printing something out, making it and realising that it ismuch to large for them :mrgreen:

thanx.....but i dont think i can be bother to redo the helmet not after about 11hours of solid work :evil: stupid magigy-bob-paper-thingy. ah well im sterssed wat can you do....i wasted a load of card and glue......il try again another day :wowie:

by the way how long did it take to make the body armour?

AND what WAS THE g/m2 of the card you used i think mine was 220

if i went straight to the body armour wat size should i make it on pepakura? im 5ft 6" (dont take the mic coz im short :shock: )

Here's an update on my armor; I've reinforced my Chest Plate using expanding foam as shown here;

Picture12.jpg

Picture13.jpg

After it has properly dried I intend to carve out the excess using a combination of my Dremel tool and a knife/scalpel. Once that is done I shall cover the foam areas with a few coats of primer and then turn towards detailing/fiberglassing. Also I plan to divide the Chest Plate into front and back sections and use velcro/strapping to hold them together when I wear it.

Fun times ahead! :mrgreen:

Oh and to answer your question Smilie measure the width of your chest, then use Pepakura to rescale the Chest Plate to suit your Chest Width. It is what I did and it worked out fine. ;-)

so i still go to "rescale parts layout" then "specify value"? but change the hight to the with of my chest?

btw the armour looks great :hyper: :wowie: :shock: :roll: :wowie:

For Smilie: From memory the Chest Plate took about 4-5 hours to fold and glue. Mind you I actually had to take a break to eat in there somewhere :mrgreen:

Also to answer your earlier question Fraz, I had to do a fair amount of rescaling for my armor. According to Pepakura the scale of the Master Chiefs' armor read as around 31 (which unless your 7' 2" and weight several hundred Kilograms it just isn't going to happen). To make it fit me I had to scale pieces between 23 to 24 units.

30.342 but who's counting..:)
That's the scale used in the gamevs reallife sizes of the guns ect..

The torso fits me as does the groain and helmet. But then I do have a large chest.. The bicep is a little to large. It certainly looks like, for me anyway the bicips forearms will need to be scaled down. Thighs/calves maybe OK. I have very muscular legs so who knows. Trial and error.

It's one of the reason I didn't just post the finished templates. Means everybody can make a set of armour scaled to them.

if finnished 1 folding and gluing shoe, also it was was about half a cm to small so i made an extention and now it fits like a glove......but i cant make any more progress at the moment because i have to get more card (pepakura eats card! lol), and i cant fiberglass the tim my dad comes back from the isle of man on sunday.

A bit more progress on my Armor, I finished constructing the Right Calf and primer undercoated both boots and both calves;

Picture14.jpg

Picture16.jpg

Also im still carving out all the excess expanding foam I used in my Chest Plate. Once thats done I'm going to fill any small gaps in the foam with putty and then primer the foam a few times

I might try making a extra suit of pep over the summer, so i shall be watching this thread and your progress closly

Wow your blasting past me Berzerker. Looks fantastic. Come mid July I'll get back on the work horse myself. Currently I'm closing on a house, getting married in July and trying to rebuild my shed to become my workshop.

How did the foam work out for you? I almost bought some and then changed my mind at the last minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back