Pepakura Armor: Aussie Style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! thas amazing........just like the real thing................ :shock:

did you manage to fiberglass them after? are they very durable?

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys :mrgreen:

To answer your question Fizzle the expanding foam is pretty messy stuff, but it fills out the armor pretty well. They main drawback is that when it hardens it can expand the armor to the point of breaking some of the joins. (This happened to my first Chest Plate, much anger insued out of that one) But the 2nd attempt worked alot better, just had to be a bit more careful as to how much foam was used.

As for Red and Tac the first Boot I made was waaaay too large, I had to measure my foot and rescale it to match, with a bit of extra room for wearing suitable footwear inside the armor. After that I just used a measuring tape on the relevant body part and scaled the part on pepakura to match. Now both boots and Calves fit pretty well, and will fit even better once I put some foam into them.

A question, how do you fit your foot through the bottom of the calf piece there? Is it two pieces? :mrgreen:

-Doom

Before I glued the final seem together I made sure the calf fit properly, so at present it's in one piece. However I intend to cut it into 2 pieces once put some expanding foam in there for shaping/reinforcement.

For you Ronin the expanding foam makes the armor quite durable, however you have to be careful with the joins that have a thin layer of foam as it could break if enough pressure is applied. To prevent that from happening I intend to undercoat the foam several times with a primer, then fiberglass it.

It's been a couple of days, but I've got an update on my armor;

No Spartan is complete without his/her head gear!

Picture17.jpg

and
Picture18.jpg

Thankfully the reinforcement provided by the hot glue means that the finished piece is plenty sturdy enough without having to put on the cardboard visor.

Also I left off some off the pieces around the bottom of the helmet so I can actually take it on and off without having to either a) remove my ears, or :cool: having to cut off extra from the base of the helmet. As it stands it fits quite nicely, all I need is some foam on the inside for comfort and to stop it from moving around too much.

Now, to locate some suitable material for the visor...

Yeah, I had to cut some pieces off from the bottom as well. But my ears stick out a bit, so I figured that was just a personal problem. lol

amazing.......
when i reedo mine ill need lots of help form you pepakura legends.
how did you measure the helmet,to the correct size? like how did you get it to fit your head? where did you measure to change the pepakura settings?

From experimentation, keep the helmet the same scale as the chest to avoid it looking too small or worse like a bobblehead MC.

Yeah, most of my work needs to be redone because I didn't take care of it enough to prevent it from being damaged by laying around in places for too long. Since most of it isn't to my scale, I'm going to try doing what someone suggested of measuring the width of the chest to mine (44R). I should get a scale for that, and once I do then I can readjust the other pieces to that scale and it should all match up.

Keep in mind though that the helmet will be very big on your head because it is nothing but the outside shell. You're going to eventually want to add foam or padding in there to make it fit better and more comfortably. So you kind of want it to be big when it's just the paper/cardboard.

Wow, the paint on the helmet is very smooth. Cant wait to see the finished product. Are you thinking of weathering it or just leaving it clean?

The paint is just a primer; it's to help protect the cardboard while I apply the fiberglass and resin. Good ole Aerosol cans of primer :mrgreen:

I intend to do some sort of dark desert camoflage to it once its properly fiberglassed and detailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back