Pepakura Armor: Aussie Style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incase anyone was wondering whether to use expanding foam to reinforce their armor (Like I did for the chest piece I showed earlier) BE VERY CAREFUL WITH HOW MUCH YOU USE!!

Typical expanding foam expands to around 3 times the volume that it comes of the can. If you put too much of it in confined spaces it will deform or even split seams in your cardboard armor. I've noticed on my chest piece that some of the folds in areas have come close to splitting due to the foam.

To make things worse the stuff is extremely sticky, so if your trying to manipulate the foam by hand while it's wet, wear some gloves. Having to use acetone on your hands to get the stuff off is not terribly good for you :mrgreen:

After a bit of thought and examining my first helmet I decided I would make a second, better one. My first helmet had a few symetry issues and the gluing was a tad messy (Hot glue guns are great, but the potential for mess is very real :mrgreen: )

Anyway, my new helmet is slightly larger and more carefully assembled. Here are some pics;

Picture19.jpg

Picture20.jpg

Picture21.jpg

As for my first helmet, it has become a testbed for fibreglassing and detailing. When the time comes to do the same with my good helmet I dont plan on stuffing it up :mrgreen:

A handy tip for those making their cardboard armor, no matter which piece you are constructing; score each of the fold lines with a sharp knife, but be careful not to cut all the way through. This helps make the fold clean and accurate, and is also handy for those really small pieces you may have trouble folding otherwise. I have to give props to Smilie for the idea as he made mention of it in one of his previous posts :mrgreen:

I've found the helmet to be the trickiest part to construct so far, I hope this provides a bit of insight into the effort of making it, and making it look good! ;-) Now for the rest of the suit...

the helmet is very tricky and even more so with the cardboard and i have been scoring it the whole tim.

your helmet looks good. cant wait to see your finished product.

Oh wow, thats awesome work Berzerker. Hopefully there wont be anymore problems for you. Im so jealous of your helmet, as mines is rather wonky looking at its current stage. Your armour is looking spiffy.

Keep up the good work :bow:

Awesome, its looking great. Reminds me to work on my pepakura helmet too. Cant wait to see the finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back