Pepakura Designer 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you release files, I think it is best to .rar it and password protect it. If someone wants to unlock it, they need the password from the thread. Still able to steal the model and extract it, but it would be a bit more secure.

That cant be scaled down or up.

Read only meaning it cant be custom unfolded, or rescaled. You'd have to be small enough or tall enough to fit into the scale.

AoBfrost said:
That cant be scaled down or up.

Read only meaning it cant be custom unfolded, or rescaled. You'd have to be small enough or tall enough to fit into the scale.

well, an evil solution would be for someone to make a mass amount of scaled files with 1-2 cm increments.
Thats insane...I know.. but thats all I could think of off the top of my head.

lol..

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think you guys are looking at the positive to this at all.

We now have a way to improve past models for ourselves. Proper credit thrown in, and we can fix say, some marine files, that are less than accurate and export, go in fix them up maybe remove a couple of edges that go no where and we have our very own customized marine armor that is accurate as we see fit. Now this is good for past files that may need to be updated, or future projects. Say we want just a completely open project here at the 405th. We have a base model that was released and pdo, someone down the line wants to do something a little different, well pop out the obj and your done, no need for multiple files and the original cd files running off from your computer.

There is the whole, fix up for cad, get a nice solid FS HD Mark VI chest piece after you go through the work of making it ready and paying up the money. That's a fine suit right there.

Positives people, positives.

i wasnt pointing out any negatives, i was just stating things that could prove to be problematic later on. wait....

I don't like it for several reasons... I at least want people to ask me if they want to edit or use my files.
Anyway, has anyone bought or upgraded to the full version yet? How does the OBJ export work and can Pepakura 3 files be opened by pepakura 2? I know Pepakura 1 can't open Pepakura 2 files, so I suspect the same is true for 2-3.

I'm still debating on upgrading. Permission to alter a file should be common sense but that's just me.

I'm having some second thoughts about upgrading. The main reason is that I don't like the way the author re-configured the Find Corresponding Faces (CTRL+K) feature. It feels a lot clunkier. When you use this feature, a panel with a listing of pieces shows up and I don't particularly care for it. I prefer the one in version 2 where you just click the part on the model and it shows up in red in the 2D window. At least the Join/Disjoin feature works the same way as before.

Another one is that one of the toolbars keep displacing itself from its previous position during startup. It must be a bug. I know it's minor and doesn't affect its functionality but it's annoying.

I tried making a schoolgirl model from paperkraft.net, the person saved the patterns in .pdo, but from pep 3. Pepakura 2 full version wont open it. I really dont feel like spending more money to upgrade when I'll be using the same exact features, folding and unfolding and saving.

Ral Partha said:
Can you imagine the potential? Of actually building a custom-sized armor? When I first saw three different boxes for the dimensions, I thought that I have that option. But when started changing one number, the other numbers changed, too. Maybe the reason for this is that the author doesn't think that pepakura is meant to be worn so such need is unnecessary.
Yep, when I first saw it I was so happy, that there might be a way to perfectly scale armor for everyone... :/ I was sadly disappointed.

I have a licensed Pepakura 2, and I think I'm going to stick with that for a while, at least until they work out the bugs, or make some major changes.

I think I'll continue working with Pepakura 2. That way anyone with a licenced version of Pepakura 2 can still open and save the files without having to upgrade.

I hated it back then before I bought a license for 2, having to unfold a piece and unable to save it, then when you screw up, you gotta unfold it again....

or when editing someone else's unfold to fit your needs/scale, you had to do it over and over until right and couldnt save.

You Needn't upgrade, it won't add onto PD2 but, create another File/version seperate from #2. So, you can download PD3 and still have the PD2 on your computer.

i have pep 3 and the pass wich i kinda got 4 free.but its really glithed up. wen ever i go up to th "icons bar" the top bar with all the clickys it pops all this crap up so i cant do like anything besides open a file in the begen.i have password for pd2 like a week before it came out so they gave the pass for 3 to me 4 free

daredevil71789 said:
i have pep 3 and the pass wich i kinda got 4 free.but its really glithed up. wen ever i go up to th "icons bar" the top bar with all the clickys it pops all this crap up so i cant do like anything besides open a file in the begen.i have password for pd2 like a week before it came out so they gave the pass for 3 to me 4 free

Spell check ;)

-FSs

Ral Partha said:
I'm having some second thoughts about upgrading. The main reason is that I don't like the way the author re-configured the Find Corresponding Faces (CTRL+K) feature. It feels a lot clunkier. When you use this feature, a panel with a listing of pieces shows up and I don't particularly care for it. I prefer the one in version 2 where you just click the part on the model and it shows up in red in the 2D window. At least the Join/Disjoin feature works the same way as before.

I loved the "turn the model so the red face is right in front of you on screen", too. But since you pointed it out, I checked it in 3, and I love the new one even more.

The thing is, you get shown even more information. First there is the layout that interactively shows what edge goes where (a great interactive assembly manual !), and when you click on a part in the unfolded layout, the part is highlighted with the rest of the model being transparent. If the model would rotate as it did in 2, that would be nice, but I personally can live with how it works now. Don´t just give up on it, although I too sometimes prefer simple user interface over more (and sometimes unnecessary) information.

But I have another problem, maybe there´s someone here who can help me with it.

I can´t for the life of me get 3 to import other formats than PDO´s ?! 2 worked fine with OBJ and DXF and LWO´s, but now ? I am guessing that it might be a Win Vista access restriction thingamajig, but I am not sure. And with Pepakura having absolutely NO user support in form of a forum on their website (that I can find, that is), I am a bit lost here.
Any hints on where to find other non-japanese english speaking PEPAKURA users ?

Thanks,
Michael

P.S.: FIRST POST ! GREAT FORUM !

the prob i have is that i don't have a BANK~CARD to bye the password for the pep builder so i can't make anything .....

Finnish_Spartan said:
daredevil71789 said:

Spell check ;)/wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

-FSs

ok um i just got pep designer 3 and can u tell meh the password u used or where u got it cus i got a file on viewer and its screwed up, i fixed it but it wont let me save w/o the password

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back