Pepakura Fiberglass and Smoothing Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure? The kick panels I've built in the past could easily withstand a person's foot hitting it. And those were made using stretched fleece that was then soaked with resin. One layer of fleece and a couple applications of resin was all I needed.

I would think that in this application, you might go through a bit more resin since you would need to thoroughly soak the material to bond to the inside of the helmet. But, with the T-shirt material, I don't think you would really use much more than you would with fiberglass cloth and you wouldn't have the potential of being all scratchy from the fibers :D .

The virtue of fiberglass cloth is that it is much thinner than other cloths and stronger. Plus it's only about a buck per square yard where I get it.

If you have some old T-shirts lying around though then go for it. They should work fine.

Once the fiberglass cloth is coated in resin, do you have to worry about slivers? I really don't want 1000 slivers of fiberglass in my face, I've had them in my hand and they are a biznitch. Thanks!

Sigma-LS said:
Pepakura's sharp folds leave you with a very angular product at the end of the day. To make your cardstock/paper/cardboard more durable and look closer to the textured game model, here are a few steps to toughen and smooth that armor.
This process works best with cardstock though it will work with all types of paper.
Once you have completed folding and glueing/tapeing your paper armor you will need these supplies.
1. Polyurethane Resin (Fiberglass Resin)
2. Fiberglass cloth of some kind
3. Minimum of 2 Paintbrushes *at least one inch in diameter
4. Something to sand with that has a med-fine grit (power sander preferred, also sanding sponges, and or sandpaper)
5. Disposable container to mix resin in
6. Poster board or something that you can set the piece on while you work on it and not get resin everywhere
7. Proper safety equipment (resperator, protective eyewear etc.) this stuff is TOXIC/carcinogenic/etc.
optionals
8. some bondo body filler can make life easier by reinforcing some pieces
9. resin is clear so spraying it with a primer after it has hardened will give you a better idea of how smooth it is and what areas should be concentrated on

Make sure before you start that you are in a well ventelated area
*If you are using any type of flimsy paper, make sure and reinforce the armor before beginning or the piece will likely end up warped. Glueing cardboard to the inside works well
*If you have a printed texture that you wish to preserve for later modifications, score areas of interest lightly with a blade, continue to do so after every external resin coat. This resin is an organic solvent and will smear most types of ink used by pens or printers once it has been in contact with the texture for a few seconds. If you are very careful and only take one pass when applying the resin, it is possible to preserve the texture.
Starting with helm only paper w/ visor.
mkv001.jpg

Step 1- Resin coat to harden paper
Depending on the size the piece, the amount you will need will vary, but it doesn't take much. A whole bicep will only take a little over an ounce and a half.
1. Follow the instructions on the resin container to mix the appropriate proportion of hardener/catalyst to resin in your disposable container.
You won't have a lot of time before it starts to harden so even on large pieces never mix too much at once, just a couple of ounces is okay. You can repeat this step as many times as needed to cover the piece.
2. Take the brush and paint a thin even coat over the paper until you have covered the entire outside of the piece (leave the inside untouched). Make sure that enough is on the armor so that it not only soaks into the paper but that there is a layer on it as well. Resin is runny and will try to collect in the niches and lowspots in the piece so take the brush and keep brushing the excess to the outside until the resin begins to become very sticky. Then stop as it is starting to harden.
3. Just leave it to dry. Give it several hours to really cure before going on to Step 2.
Helm w/ first resin coat (now you know what I mean about flimsy paper warping even though this was still reinforced, I strongly suggest cardstock or cardboard instead)
mkv002.jpg

Step 2- Fiberglassing the inside
1. Cut pieces of fiberglass cloth that will fit the inside of the piece and cover it completely. Don't worry about a little excess sticking out of the side. That can always be removed later. You want to cover the inside completely and make sure that the cloth is flush with the paper. If you are having trouble with this, a little bit of glue can temporarily hold it in place.
2. Mix the resin again in the same fashion as step one. This time you will need a little more (about 2 ounces for a bicep). Paint a heavy coat of resin onto the fiberglass cloth making sure that the cloth is soaked. Don't worry about evenness or smoothness, just make sure everything is covered and flush.
3. Let cure for a good amount of time, at least several hours.

Step 3- The first sanding

1. The first thing you want is to determine which parts to keep the most angular and which ones should be smoothest (using reference pics is helpful). If any of the angles are particularly sharp and smoothing them will cut through the armor, smooth them only as much as possible. (reinforcing those areas with more resin or bondo will alleviate this problem)
* To properly smooth Pepakura Armor, you will be sanding through the original paper armor on the corners. This is why the armor MUST be fiberglassed first.
*If you have some primer, spraying it on will give you a better idea of the true roughness of the piece
***Right bicep pics after priming and reinforcement before first sanding
bicepprimed001.jpg

2. Use your sanding material to smooth your problem areas. The key in the technique is to use a curving motion when you sand, otherwise you will simply bevel/flatten the edge and have two slightly smaller angle edges.
3. Smooth everything as best you can, then wipe the dust off and continue to Step 4
Your pointy edges should now look like this. Notice that the paper is gone and only fiberglass remains.
ODST.jpg

First sanding Helm
mkv022.jpg

Step 4- Coat the Outside with resin again
Repeat the same process as used in Step 1 then continue to Step 5
Step 5- The Final Sanding
1. The second coat of resin has itself smoothed out a number of the smaller angles that were left. Use your sandpaper again to go over it one more time and perfect your work.
*Steps 4 and 5 can be repeated as many times as possible, though I think that for most they should be okay. If you put tape of the outside, one repeat should fix it
Step 6- Cleaning and Paint Prep
1. Use a finer grit for a final fine smoothing and primer your piece. It's ready to go.
Smoothed edges Helm (still needs a little trimming for symmetry)
Vhelm001.jpg

I hope that this helps anybody interested in working on fiberglassed pepakura armor.
Edited : w/ pic goodness

can you fiberglass on the paper or should you make it out of cardboard or cardstock before fiberglassing

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigma-LS said:
Bondo brand All-purpose resin is my preferred one. Not that I've tried a whole lot of others.

I use "USC Feather Rite" filler, I find it's much cheaper.
As for the Polyester resin used for fiberglassing... I use the Fiber-tek Unwaxed (not glossy) resin... again much cheaper.

The unwaxed type is better for multi layers, no sanding needed. The waxed type is for final glossy finishes.

Look for a place that wholesales or specializes in autobody or plastic supplies for the best deals.

My 2 cents.

Wombat

FIBER GLASS RESIN JELLY?!?! ok i went to the Auto Parts store and i got some fiberglass resin JELLY. i mixed it and it came out looking like mud. when i put it on and sanded it, it looked like mud and then looked like concrete. nothing like what the normal resin looks like. what do i do now?

So, from a couple of recent posts, i've read that this fiber glass cloth is a bit dangerous for lungs and skin.
Then, what would be a good place to start working? I have my room but i mean its full of my bed, an awesome desk,
my tv, xbox 360, and such but its not that big. I was thinking in my garage, but i have a little puppy that might wannna
come in to see what im doing, and i cant put a respirator on a dog. I was also thinking the backyard..but that might just
spread the stuff and intoxicate everybody....

How dangerous from a scale of 1 - 10, is this stuff
How fast does it spread.

Another question is, so with the whole re-inforcing with cardboard...what do you reccomend i do, just put a cardboard box the shape of my
paper helmet in there, or make a replica of the helmet that fits in ther? And once your done appplying all the resin, what do you do with the
cardboard, then at which step did you put in your visor?

Ugh, soo many questions. You think you could possibly make a video??
rofl sorry

I mainly want to know how dangerous all this is, How fast it spreads, How do i put in the cardboard, and When do i put in the helmet

OH AND what did you paint urs with? Like what kind of paint. I wanna make mine like either red with a black stripe down the middle, Or Blue with a white, or Yellow stripe.

umm...ok, Im having touble on getting the fiberglass staying inside. I tried to glue it in there temperaily and it still doesnt stay in place, am I using to much liquid hardener in the resin causing it to stick to the brush?
Another thing im having difficulty with is the environent. Due to where im located. I have to do it outside. I recently Resend and fiberglassed, but where its cold out, it took nearly 2 days for the resin to dry, Is it possible to resin, then let sit for a few hours and bring it in? Would it be dry enough to bring in without killing the family?
Thanks for your time =D

If it's cold where you are doing the resin and fiberglass work, your best bet would be to get you a couple of high-wattage lights and point them at the part(s) to aide in the curing time. I would get a couple of the spot flood lights in a fixture that will support the wattage and bake the parts under the lights.

MJOLNIR Warrior said:
So, from a couple of recent posts, i've read that this fiber glass cloth is a bit dangerous for lungs and skin.
Then, what would be a good place to start working? I have my room but i mean its full of my bed, an awesome desk,
my tv, xbox 360, and such but its not that big. I was thinking in my garage, but i have a little puppy that might wannna
come in to see what im doing, and i cant put a respirator on a dog. I was also thinking the backyard..but that might just
spread the stuff and intoxicate everybody....

How dangerous from a scale of 1 - 10, is this stuff
How fast does it spread.

Another question is, so with the whole re-inforcing with cardboard...what do you reccomend i do, just put a cardboard box the shape of my
paper helmet in there, or make a replica of the helmet that fits in ther? And once your done appplying all the resin, what do you do with the
cardboard, then at which step did you put in your visor?

Ugh, soo many questions. You think you could possibly make a video??
rofl sorry

I mainly want to know how dangerous all this is, How fast it spreads, How do i put in the cardboard, and When do i put in the helmet

OH AND what did you paint urs with? Like what kind of paint. I wanna make mine like either red with a black stripe down the middle, Or Blue with a white, or Yellow stripe.

OK Here's the skinny on safety:

On a scale of 1 to 10 Fiberglass is about a 7 or 8.

1. Fiberglass Resin (Polyester) is reasonably safe but may cause skin irritation.

2. The catalyst "MEKP" IS VERY DANGEROUS ! see the "Material Safety Data Sheet" (MSDS) at http://www.fiberlay.com/msds/8105.pdf
It is highly toxic and will burn skin and eyes and is concidered cancerous.
The fumes will irritate lungs so a RESPERATOR with an "ORGANIC SOLVENT (Type "OV") filter is nessasary and good ventelation.
3. Disposible gloves are also nessasary... dont get it on your skin, wash off immediatly.
4. Also WEAR SAFETY GLASSES! if you splash any in your eyes IT WILL BLIND YOU!
5. You will be using Acetone to clean up... The fumes are a killer! again you will need a respirator. Acetone will disolve the resin before it has hardened
so you can clean brushes etc. before the cureing is complete.

The MEKP catalyst disipates after 24 hrs but there will be residual fumes for a few days or weeks depending on how warm it is.

I would suggest using your porch or garrage to do your fiberglassing and sanding... ( a puppy wont be hurt by the fumes, just keep it away )
A warm place is better as the fiberglass will cure faster. DON'T DO IT in a bedroom or other enclosed space, you will stink up the whole house!

Also it is very messy, you will get drips and splatters everywhere... You don't want to ruin your rug or desk.

Sanding produces a fine powder with polyester and glass fibers in it. THIS IS VERY DANEREOUS for your lungs and a N90 face mask must be worn (dust mask) N90 just means the size of partical the mask will filter out (90 microns) The powder is also VERY irritating to skin so wear long sleves/pants and gloves. Wear old clothes and wash them afterward and take a shower to get anything off your skin and hair.

Here are some pics of the materials and safety equipment I used.

Hope this helps.

Wombat.

Sigma-LS said:
Pepakura's sharp folds leave you with a very angular product at the end of the day. To make your cardstock/paper/cardboard more durable and look closer to the textured game model, here are a few steps to toughen and smooth that armor.
This process works best with cardstock though it will work with all types of paper.
Once you have completed folding and glueing/tapeing your paper armor you will need these supplies.
1. Polyurethane Resin (Fiberglass Resin)
2. Fiberglass cloth of some kind
3. Minimum of 2 Paintbrushes *at least one inch in diameter
4. Something to sand with that has a med-fine grit (power sander preferred, also sanding sponges, and or sandpaper)
5. Disposable container to mix resin in
6. Poster board or something that you can set the piece on while you work on it and not get resin everywhere
7. Proper safety equipment (resperator, protective eyewear etc.) this stuff is TOXIC/carcinogenic/etc.
optionals
8. some bondo body filler can make life easier by reinforcing some pieces
9. resin is clear so spraying it with a primer after it has hardened will give you a better idea of how smooth it is and what areas should be concentrated on

Make sure before you start that you are in a well ventelated area
*If you are using any type of flimsy paper, make sure and reinforce the armor before beginning or the piece will likely end up warped. Glueing cardboard to the inside works well
*If you have a printed texture that you wish to preserve for later modifications, score areas of interest lightly with a blade, continue to do so after every external resin coat. This resin is an organic solvent and will smear most types of ink used by pens or printers once it has been in contact with the texture for a few seconds. If you are very careful and only take one pass when applying the resin, it is possible to preserve the texture.
Starting with helm only paper w/ visor.
mkv001.jpg

Step 1- Resin coat to harden paper
Depending on the size the piece, the amount you will need will vary, but it doesn't take much. A whole bicep will only take a little over an ounce and a half.
1. Follow the instructions on the resin container to mix the appropriate proportion of hardener/catalyst to resin in your disposable container.
You won't have a lot of time before it starts to harden so even on large pieces never mix too much at once, just a couple of ounces is okay. You can repeat this step as many times as needed to cover the piece.
2. Take the brush and paint a thin even coat over the paper until you have covered the entire outside of the piece (leave the inside untouched). Make sure that enough is on the armor so that it not only soaks into the paper but that there is a layer on it as well. Resin is runny and will try to collect in the niches and lowspots in the piece so take the brush and keep brushing the excess to the outside until the resin begins to become very sticky. Then stop as it is starting to harden.
3. Just leave it to dry. Give it several hours to really cure before going on to Step 2.
Helm w/ first resin coat (now you know what I mean about flimsy paper warping even though this was still reinforced, I strongly suggest cardstock or cardboard instead)
mkv002.jpg

Step 2- Fiberglassing the inside
1. Cut pieces of fiberglass cloth that will fit the inside of the piece and cover it completely. Don't worry about a little excess sticking out of the side. That can always be removed later. You want to cover the inside completely and make sure that the cloth is flush with the paper. If you are having trouble with this, a little bit of glue can temporarily hold it in place.
2. Mix the resin again in the same fashion as step one. This time you will need a little more (about 2 ounces for a bicep). Paint a heavy coat of resin onto the fiberglass cloth making sure that the cloth is soaked. Don't worry about evenness or smoothness, just make sure everything is covered and flush.
3. Let cure for a good amount of time, at least several hours.

Step 3- The first sanding

1. The first thing you want is to determine which parts to keep the most angular and which ones should be smoothest (using reference pics is helpful). If any of the angles are particularly sharp and smoothing them will cut through the armor, smooth them only as much as possible. (reinforcing those areas with more resin or bondo will alleviate this problem)
* To properly smooth Pepakura Armor, you will be sanding through the original paper armor on the corners. This is why the armor MUST be fiberglassed first.
*If you have some primer, spraying it on will give you a better idea of the true roughness of the piece
***Right bicep pics after priming and reinforcement before first sanding
bicepprimed001.jpg

2. Use your sanding material to smooth your problem areas. The key in the technique is to use a curving motion when you sand, otherwise you will simply bevel/flatten the edge and have two slightly smaller angle edges.
3. Smooth everything as best you can, then wipe the dust off and continue to Step 4
Your pointy edges should now look like this. Notice that the paper is gone and only fiberglass remains.
ODST.jpg

First sanding Helm
mkv022.jpg

Step 4- Coat the Outside with resin again
Repeat the same process as used in Step 1 then continue to Step 5
Step 5- The Final Sanding
1. The second coat of resin has itself smoothed out a number of the smaller angles that were left. Use your sandpaper again to go over it one more time and perfect your work.
*Steps 4 and 5 can be repeated as many times as possible, though I think that for most they should be okay. If you put tape of the outside, one repeat should fix it
Step 6- Cleaning and Paint Prep
1. Use a finer grit for a final fine smoothing and primer your piece. It's ready to go.
Smoothed edges Helm (still needs a little trimming for symmetry)
Vhelm001.jpg

I hope that this helps anybody interested in working on fiberglassed pepakura armor.
Edited : w/ pic goodness

I am currently working on a plasma pistol, would I need to put the fiberglass material on the outside of that? I know this might sound like a stupid question, but I want to try and do the best the first time around.
Thanks in advance.

I have a question... say I went in my woods and play airsoft with the fully finished resin and fiberglassed suit, would the glass part break if i got hit but any bullet?...airsoft bullet...

Depends on the number of fiberglass layers (I would suggest 6) and the velocity of the bullet (beware the green gas ;))

It can be done but you'll be a lot less mobile and the plinking of BB's on your helm will drive you nuts.

Kk thx, that helps a lot. I gotta tell my friend cause he wanted to know also. He comes over and we work on our armour a lot. thx again.

I have a quick question....and it may seem silly....

does resin or any fiberglassing stuff have an effect on glue sticks? because thats what im using for my armor.....and i dont want it to dissolve or anything,

and also, could i use like a polyurethane coating instead of fiberglass? it seems safer for me......and less expensive....

Sand the corners down, it doesn't matter if you leave some paper on. But yeah, that's why you've got to fiberglass the inside. The visor should be installed after the helm has been fiberglassed. You can choose to have it it either before or after painting and detailing.

....i should of read this tut... before i did my fiber glassing i messed uped completly.... so il doign it all over again luckly i only did the fore arm and helm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back