Pepakura Fiberglass JELLY Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbytes

First off you need to buy Fiberglass JELLY that is usually between fiberglass and Bondo in most major stores (Oreilly's & Wal-Mart)

bon-430.jpg

I am more visual so I hope this help for now.

Check back later for the step by step Tut of JELLY!

Till then Here is alittle hint on Jelly.

Jelly is fiberglass is in a form similar to the form and texture of Bondo, yet it doesn't have fiberglass clothe in it. This product is more of a paste that I tend to mix like you would bondo and it's hardener. They major difference between fiberglass jelly and bondo is the drop test. If you drop an object that is made on jelly it may crack but usually only on very hard surfaces, Bondo will however shatter.

Before the use of Jelly I recommend.

1. After finishing your pep make sure to reinforce as needed (I recommend rubber cement to glue pep together)
2. make sure to lightly paint the outside then inside of your project with a mix of fiberglass resin. (jelly will bond directly to any other fiberglass, I usually don't even sand base.

When mixing up fiberglass jelly I make sure to make a ball of jelly and squeeze a line the length of the radius of hardener. When you mix it mix to a military green color.

ONLY use vinyl gloves do to setting issues that latex may arise with setting or molding times and quality.

Personally I just spread the jelly on smoothing as I go with my vinyl covered hand till it starts to set, then I sand that area with a mini belt sander and a mouse sander. Most of my technique is simple and has to do with the proper tools and the smoothing.

This is all for now check back I will write more.

Hmm, I still have a can of fiberglass jelly in the back. It's about time you put out a tutorial, lol. From what I can tell, you mix it, and smear it on with your glove-covered finger. That's about it. :p

From the pics, It looks like you're going to have to do alot of sanding to smooth that baby
Two questions:
Does this stuff have fiberglass strands in it?
How hard is it to sand compared to Bondo?
This looks like a good material for cleaning up the rough spots on the inside of a helmet.

If DoC's using what I think he's using, it's just resin in jelly form. Is it usually brown though? I've never used it myself. If it is just resin, then that should sand out very nicely and quite easily. Reminds me of rondo.

Gokussj5okazu said:
If DoC's using what I think he's using, it's just resin in jelly form. Is it usually brown though? I've never used it myself. If it is just resin, then that should sand out very nicely and quite easily. Reminds me of rondo.
When I saw fiberglass jelly, I thought it was similar to Kitty Hair
LINK:Fiber Reinforced Fillers
I'll pick up some jelly next this weekend and try it out inside my helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
To my understanding...

bon-430.jpg

"Bondo Fiberglass Resin Jelly is a milled fiberglass reinforced, non-drip jelly formula. Recommended for repairing and filling minor rust-outs on metal, wood, plastic, boats, fiberglass autobodies, campers, farm equipment, snowmobiles and more. Great for vertical surface repairs. Spreads easily and is sandable in only 20 to 30 minutes. Can be used with fiberglass cloth or mat if additional strength is needed. Compatible with all paints. Waterproof. Includes Red Cream Hardener."

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userp...d=6115&BASE

Vrogy said:
So.. mix, gob, smear? Not much of a tutorial, Doc..

DoC ByTeS said:
I am more visual so I hope this help for now.

Check back later for the step by step Tut of JELLY!

he's not done with it, Vrogy. and this may be all that he does when he makes it. It hasn't failed him before, so cool the jets.

Dark Rogue said:
he's not done with it, Vrogy. and this may be all that he does when he makes it. It hasn't failed him before, so cool the jets.

Thank you, Dark Rogue. You know it did state that I was busy and that it was all I could post at the time. It is funny how many people don't read that stuff, or just always wanna say something neg. I will be posting more pics and correcting and adding more to the original post to better help people. So it there is a question everyone feel free, if you wanna talk about the completeness of the tut....... go play on your own thread. Thank you

Agian Dark Rogue, Thanks. I will be going in depth with this over the next week or two.

I know its a noobalicious question, but is the Jelly in replace of resin, or bondo, or is it a stage all in itself?

rvb4life said:
I know its a noobalicious question, but is the Jelly in replace of resin, or bondo, or is it a stage all in itself?

LOL, The fiberglass jelly is a replacement for bondo or rondo. The steps will be similar just more strength, flex, and smoothing abilities. "Remember no question is a N00b question, unless you never take the time to ask" -DoC

would it be cheaper? this could bring a better (and more toxic, YAY! :D ) light to my upcoming glass stage.

rvb4life said:
would it be cheaper? this could bring a better (and more toxic, YAY! :D ) light to my upcoming glass stage.

it's around $12 a pint, and not as harsh (still toxic) as resin. but the fact you can glob it on and smooth out really kicks resin in the teeth, though I still coat my original pep with resin first. I love the fact without sanding it bonds to resin and itself.

oh good. and i thought i was gonna have to pay a fortune shipping bondo to my house, but pep boys probably has it in stock :D

Can the jelly be used in place of the resin? Because I failed to buy normal resin, and all I have is resin jelly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back