Pepakura Plasma Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arbiter452 said:
im not all lazy. my websites are OK, but i wouldnt call them great. i wouldnt call them bad also. ive done hard stuff, but not that hard. but i would like it, and i dont want to demand it. whenever you want to do it you can. even next year.

Robogenisis made it quite clear: no. There isn't going to be a 'simple' version made for all you lazies out there - you're going to have to adapt and learn how to deal with complex folds and cuts, and no amount of whining or moaning is going to fix that. I suggest that you either get to work on this model, or find another one. Alternatively, stop being so lazy, contribute to the site, and make one of your own.

As for your question, fightstar: there are several ways, any of which could be used. The first would be to merely not resin/glass the inside at all. The second would be to assemble the piece, then make a small hole and pour resin into the piece, roll it around to get an even coating, and wait for it to cure before applying another layer. The third would be to assemble, cut the piece in half, then resin/glass each half before reassembling. The final method (my preferred method) would be to make the piece in sections, and fill each section with self expanding foam or resin before assembling the finished sections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for the response. I appreciate work like this and am more than happy to put forth the work on my end to get it done. Since I am still a n00b the Pepakura process I will take my time with this one. In the end it will be cheaper than buying a replica or buying one of those lasertag-esque ones. Not to mention FUN as well. I'll try your favorite process, but it will be some weeks before I do. I have to start with the sizing helmet first to make sure I have th right scale.

Indeed. However, I'd strongly suggest that you use tester models to obtain a size reference before you go for the real thing - possibly in normal 80-100gsm (copier) paper, to make sure it's the right size for you. This is especially vital in armor pieces - weapons aren't too bad, since a lot of them are already sized for assembly.

Primal Weyland said:
Robogenisis made it quite clear: no. There isn't going to be a 'simple' version made for all you lazies out there - you're going to have to adapt and learn how to deal with complex folds and cuts, and no amount of whining or moaning is going to fix that. I suggest that you either get to work on this model, or find another one. Alternatively, stop being so lazy, contribute to the site, and make one of your own.

As for your question, fightstar: there are several ways, any of which could be used. The first would be to merely not resin/glass the inside at all. The second would be to assemble the piece, then make a small hole and pour resin into the piece, roll it around to get an even coating, and wait for it to cure before applying another layer. The third would be to assemble, cut the piece in half, then resin/glass each half before reassembling. The final method (my preferred method) would be to make the piece in sections, and fill each section with self expanding foam or resin before assembling the finished sections.
um... dude, im a begginer at pepakura and its to complex, so i asked for a simple one so us noobs at pepakura can get started on it.

Well this Pepakura n00b has a reem of 110# card stock paper and I am going to give this file a try. Should be fun. I'll have to make another one with my own HD on it. This first one will be a tester of size and technique from folding to fiberglassing. I hope to have some time to work on it and have something next week. We shall see.

Arbiter452 said:
um... dude, im a begginer at pepakura and its to complex, so i asked for a simple one so us noobs at pepakura can get started on it.
If it's to complex, maybe you should practice. The models that are coming out now are way more complex than this, and they are only going to get harder. Most people aren't going to make the simplest model they can, when they could make it more complex instead.

Pep takes forever.

I spent four snow days working on a recon helm, and then I realized that I had to download the face shield seperately (Thanks a lot :p)
But it's fun.

Also, do you think there's a way to put LEDs inside this thing so that it can actually light up?

im a noob, we all know it. oh and i have done a few pepeakura

ps. about the pdf you can keep it the way it is and make it a pdf. i want to see what i can do with it as it is.

Still working on this one. Wow is this a long one, but the folds and the layout is VERY detailed. I am about 25% done. I have worked on some armor scaling issues so I will come back to it.

Yeah. I'll do that real quick.

EDIT: I'm not exactly sure how to make every page show up on one PDF document, so if someone who knows how could (Nicktendo? He did the AR).

Robogenisis said:
Yeah. I'll do that real quick.

EDIT: I'm not exactly sure how to make every page show up on one PDF document, so if someone who knows how could (Nicktendo? He did the AR).

What are you using to make the pdfs?
If you happen to have Adobe Acrobat Distiller, choose to print to Distiller, and it will 'print' all the pages as one file.
If you don't have Distiller... Then I have no clue.

I think one of the biggest problems people encounter with Pepakura is, particularly with weapons, finishing them because any gun you make is an enclosed, hollow model. This makes it very difficult to glue the last flaps on your model because you can only work with the outer surface of the gun, so when you need to glue the final flaps down you can't counter yourself pressing the glued flap against the gun. When I assembled my AR, I found it worked best when I used minimal amounts of glue and a very light touch to glue the final flaps onto the gun. It's vitally important to be careful and to line the edges up right or your model will be crooked, and nobody wants that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back