Pepakura Preparations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewy

First and foremost I would like say "Hello!" to all of my fellow 405th-ers and 405th-ettes. :p
I came to this site a while ago in hopes to make a halo armor suit and after a period of reading up on what I was up against I decided to give it a go.
I would also like to thank Sigma, Adam, Sean, and Frizzlefry. (Their pinned tutorials are what make made me even think about tackling the task at hand.)

**Note to mods**
I realize this is the the wrong forum for this, but because of my noobish status I am unable to place this thread correctly.
So please feel free to chop, cut, migrate, or even incinerate this thread if necessary.

On to what this thread is really about...

I see tons of threads on what to do once you get to the state of an actual "fabrication" on any product. However, I havent seen a thread on every object needed to complete the task of finished product.
I'm going to list everything that I, personally, have used thusfar. Then I'll leave it open for others to add on what has made their building experience easier.

When you decide to take you first trip to get your Pepakura supplies I urge you to make a list. It will make things much easier in the long run.

I will break this up into sections

Ok, here is what you will need.

1. Inital fabrication

110lb Cardstock (Expensive for paper) - 6 dollars/150 sheets
PIC_0264.jpg

Hot glue gun (For construction) - 9 dollars
PIC_0241.jpg

Glue sticks (For the glue gun) - 3 dollars
PIC_0261.jpg

X-acto knife! (Best tool in initial fabrication) - 10ish dollars
PIC_0265.jpg

Super glue (For those stubborn areas or *gasp* Rips) - 1 dollar
PIC_0262.jpg

Cardboard (For putting the paper on so your razor sharp knife doesnt cut the work surface) - Free! went to a local fastfood place and asked for some.
swmcb_cardboard_72dpi_793g.jpg

Music (You have a boring job ahead of you)
PIC_0257.jpg

After you follow the Amazing instructions found in This thread, This thread, and This thread then you should make a product that looks roughly like this (I started on my helmet first)

l_bd07045f7bdfd75b89e7094f3dd9bcf0.jpg

2. When ready to challenge Shell Resining

*After you've taken you time to soak in the vast glories of owning the start of what could be something amazing/showed it off to a few envious friends and you're ready to take the next step.*

A stand (To rest your helmet on while you work) - Free! made it from my free cardboard and a little duct tape
PIC_0256.jpg

Resin (Used 1 can for my helmet) - 10ish dollars
PIC_0248.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Liquid Hardner (One comes with the resin but grab another tube) - 2 dollars
PIC_0249.jpg

Paint Thinner (I got some, but honestly it isnt worth the cost to save cheap brushes) - 7 dollars
PIC_0245.jpg

Brushes (I went through alot, but theyre cheap) - about 50cents per brush at walmart
PIC_0254.jpg

Rubber Gloves (Unless you don't care to get sticky) - Free! Got them from my place of work.
RUBBER%20GLOVES______478.jpg

Aluminum Foil (To keep the container you put the resin in clean) - 2 dollars
PIC_0242.jpg

Circulation! (So you arent either high or brain damaged from lack of oxygen) - Free! open the doors
PIC_0260.jpg

Take time to read more Amazing tutorials found Here, and Here

3. When ready to fiberglass the inside of the shell after desired outer resin coats

*I personally did 4 coats of resin on the outside before I started this*

Fiberglass matte or cloth (Cloth is easier to manage and makes a much stronger product) - 5 dollars
PIC_0274.jpg

Scissors (To cut the cloth into more managable pieces) - Free! I stole from my mother
scissors.jpg

I could go into how I did my helm with fiberglass, but I know there are much better threads on that type thing in other tutorials.

Again, I hope making this thread helps alot of you as much as others' threads have helped me.
Please add any other objects you feel that were useful to you.

Thanks

nice tut.I was wondering i never used cardstock in my life or even bought some i was wondering how hard or thick it was.Thankyou.

sinjiki said:
nice tut.I was wondering i never used cardstock in my life or even bought some i was wondering how hard or thick it was.Thankyou.
Imagine 3 pieces of regular printer paper for stiffness
It's about as thick as a piece and a half of regular paper.

Hope that helps ;)

looks like you have made a few models now, which ones did you do, flying squirl has a new model, and so do I. search tool if you wnat them cuz im too lazy right now to look and link.
--edit
is that sylfos, right side, my halo 2 model middle, and original halo 2 model upside down?
edit 2 no thats not mine in the middle. I took a closer look

dannifood4less said:
looks like you have made a few models now, which ones did you do, flying squirl has a new model, and so do I. search tool if you wnat them cuz im too lazy right now to look and link.
--edit
is that sylfos, right side, my halo 2 model middle, and original halo 2 model upside down?
Those are based on JediFranz's models found here only with slight variations. (2 are for other haloers such as myself)

I have hopes to try a totally different model after I complete this current project.

Not to be rude, but the more we make tutorials, the more nubs we have asking us questions, back when I joined, there were already 3k members, there werent many people asking questions because we had tutorials for everything, they were not illustrated, but people thought on their own and asked a few odd questions if they couldnt figure something themselves.

Nice tutorial btw, I like the part where you took a picture of the ipod. Funny if some kid thinks "great I need to buy a ipod nano to make armor?" Thats why we need a age limit :/

AoBfrost said:
Not to be rude, but the more we make tutorials, the more nubs we have asking us questions, back when I joined, there were already 3k members, there werent many people asking questions because we had tutorials for everything, they were not illustrated, but people thought on their own and asked a few odd questions if they couldnt figure something themselves.

Nice tutorial btw, I like the part where you took a picture of the ipod. Funny if some kid thinks "great I need to buy a ipod nano to make armor?" Thats why we need a age limit :/

Point taken, but wouldn't you rather have a question such as "How did you hindge the neck?" or "What is teh rezins dat i need?"

Let me put it this way. For some people *cough* reading a tutorial is like reading a book, some just can't do it without the text having pictures with it. :D

It does annoy me when I am PM'd

" what type of resin did you use? should I buy insilation fiberglass :/?????!!!!!"

when clearly the tutorials in the pep section all say polyester fiberglass resin and fiberglass cloth.

AoBfrost said:
It does annoy me when I am PM'd

" what type of resin did you use? should I buy insilation fiberglass :/?????!!!!!"

when clearly the tutorials in the pep section all say polyester fiberglass resin and fiberglass cloth.

The resin used on the inside was done the same as the outside, with the exception of adding a few layers of the fiberglass cloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back