pepekura armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclejon

Hey all, i recently finished building all the parts to my mc suit (pics soon) i still need to resin fiberglass and paint but that will come. but i just recently realized that i built it using regular letter paper. i definitely don't want to start over and wanted to know if theres any way to resin without having to start over or having my pieces warped. (applying light coats maybe?) i want to have it done by Halloween and with school starting over is going to be pretty hard. any suggestion? thanks.

Word on the street is regular letter paper won't hold up to the rigors of resin. It'll sog up and break apart. You can try reinforcing the insides with some cardboard, but you'd likely be better off just remaking it with cardstock. Doesn't take too long...I made my helmet from pressing Print to Glueing the final piece in about 4, 4 1/2 hours.

I agree with Sikarian, it'd be better to just restart now instead of having to redo it all AFTER you resin it if it does warp.

Yeah...chances are its gonna warp, I'd start with a new suit again (this time with Cardstock paper) but Halloween is a month away and thats plenty of time. Im also preparing a suit for Halloween.

Sikarian said:
Word on the street is regular letter paper won't hold up to the rigors of resin. It'll sog up and break apart. You can try reinforcing the insides with some cardboard, but you'd likely be better off just remaking it with cardstock. Doesn't take too long...I made my helmet from pressing Print to Glueing the final piece in about 4, 4 1/2 hours.

Thanks for the help, but what if reinforce with bondo or something? Or will that be too hard/ not work? And also I'm extremely lazy so it usually takes a day or 2 per piece. If i cant do anything else ill restart but has anyone tried doing it my preferred way?

Last edited by a moderator:
2 days per piece? ;)

The amount of time required to shore up your regular paper armor to withstand fiberglassing doesn't make it worth it. Even if you get it so your original models don't disintegrate under duress, you'll be fighting a rearguard action against a catastrophic build error the entire time - not my idea of a good experience. And, if you attempt the cardboard reinforcement route, you'd have to basically duplicate your shapes all over again, anyways, and there's little room for error (holes, warping, etc.). Bondo is out, too, chances are you wouldn't be able to apply it without seriously distorting your pieces. Distortion/warp = fiberglass death.

Best thing for you to do is start over, use cardstock. Do it right from the start, and your build will be a much more enjoyable experience.

I have a question about that too. I didn't use regular paper but I did use 20lb cardstock. Does anybody think it's okay to use something like that because I am flat broke, no money whatsoever. And 20lb is alll I have.

/tear Alright thanks for the help guys ill be visiting CVS and Home Depot today. And yes 2 days per piece, i usually cut everything out after school, then the next day put it together.

you could reinforce it with cardboard... :\... try to make indentical shapes when putting it on the inside... I believe that should work... :)

One more quick question, is it possible to fiberglass the inside first? Then fiberglass the outside, or will that cause some problems? As you can see I'm trying my hardest not to redo this...but ill go out and buy the paperboard tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back