Phrases to say to sound more Spartan-like (con etiquette/What to say at cons)

N8TEBB

Member DIN
S410
I had a thought in the tutorial request thread... I've copied it here so we can discuss it:

I think tips on how to act "spartan-like" would be great! Sometimes it feels weird being dressed as a spartan but saying things like "of course you can have a picture!! Have a great day at the con guys!!" because I feel like that is a bit out of character. If there is a more master-chief way of saying common con phrases I think it would be beneficial to make a phrase-bank, hence this thread.

just spit balling some ideas so you know what i mean. I havent used any of these, but they sound better than what I've been using
Instead of saying "yes you can have a quick picture" say "Proceed swiftly. We have a mission to complete."
Instead of saying "have a great day" say "Have a successful mission, soilder"
When someone says "your suit looks great!" you could say "Thank you/Appreciate it, but performance matters more than appearance."
I don't know how good these are but I'm just trying to think of how a spartan might actually respond. Hopefully someone who has a better time with words can carry this on.

How do you answer common con question in character? Let's discuss!!

I've accidentally scared people by staying in character (ie. Bakugo...someone cried.).
For characters like Cortana & Mara Sov, I'll do my best to memorize small lines from the games to stay in character.

Someone at a con called me out as Mara one time, when I turned around he bowed and said 'Your Grace.' To which I replied, 'I've shown you benevolence, Guardian, now eyes up.'

It can be challenging because so much is happening around you as well.

For Cortana, my weirdest interaction was at Outpost Discovery when someone told me she's not supposed to wear shoes (bodysuit doesnt have soles, so I make do), then proceeded to ask if I was a beta version. Needless to say, I paraphrased her infamous line of 'which one of us is the machine?' - and that AI should be able to manifest appropriate attire for walking on solid ground.

It can certainly be fun to switch up dialogue and add to everyone's experience.

I went to the comic con we have here in monroe michigan and a lady ask if she could take pics with her kids my comment was "roger that" then wanted to take a video of me talking to her daughter. she ask about becoming a spartan. long side i kept it so the little girl could under stand what i was saying. and when i hit the button Cortana stated " covenant infantry inbound" the mom completely lost it she yell you have Cortana in there with you! i answered " affirmative " she said it was one of the best meet and greets she has had in a while. so yes staying in character is great but you will have to bend some of it for our smaller fans. then my daughter talked to the small kids and they loved her the little girl was happy to hear that my daughter was a spartan it was all around awesome day for my daughter and me as well as the halo fans..

Haven't done a Spartan yet but marines (I know this isn't exactly the topic of the thread) are much easier because they're so casual. Especially the H:CE through to H3 ODST marines, who are pretty laid back. Just say stuff with enthusiasm and wit, and end every sentance with a HOORAH!

Don't put on an Aussie accent though. No one wins.

I've accidentally scared people by staying in character (ie. Bakugo...someone cried.).
Heh, when I did a Jack Skellington cosplay, I had to stop myself from staying in character and wishing everyone, cheerfully, a terrible day.

I'm just never fully sure what to say to people (even outside of armor, I came here looking for tips), but I think I have the helmet head nod and helmet stare down. I was in line for a con and noticed someone dressed as Pink Guy staring at me. So I turned my head to directly face him and that made him crouch and yell "Boss! Habe you seen an alien boss!" Then I started nodding my head at him and his eyes popped open and he yelled "Habe you seen a covenant!!!" Then I yelled "Yes! The covenant is on Reach. I repeat, the covenant is on Reach!"

Once I do make and have my armor I’ll come up with a character I’ll play I’ll also look into the ways some Spartans speak and actually modify it to fit the personality of my character. I’ve actually nicknamed my Spartan Setifer just because it sounded cool but it also sounds a bit chaotic so I’ll likely build my character around being kinda chaotic yet good under pressure and confident in situations. It all would depend how I feel in the time though :)

I noticed people could hardly hear me through the helmet so I lean into that: become the "strong silent type" and just sharply nod when people ask for pictures or casually salute with two fingers when people wave or point.

Once I do make and have my armor I’ll come up with a character I’ll play I’ll also look into the ways some Spartans speak and actually modify it to fit the personality of my character. I’ve actually nicknamed my Spartan Setifer just because it sounded cool but it also sounds a bit chaotic so I’ll likely build my character around being kinda chaotic yet good under pressure and confident in situations. It all would depend how I feel in the time though :)
Yeah once mine is done I want to do something like this. If I'm my own spartan it allows me to be a bit more... me. When I'm chief it can be a bit different. I'm always thinking about "what would chief do?"
I noticed people could hardly hear me through the helmet so I lean into that: become the "strong silent type" and just sharply nod when people ask for pictures or casually salute with two fingers when people wave or point.
I have mastered this XD
Hoping to put a mic in my new suit so I gotta prepare ya know =P

Hmmm.... probably a bit niche.... but I'mma leave this here

Hmmm.... probably a bit niche.... but I'mma leave this here

Very niche yes, but I think I will use a few of these anyways (▀̿ ̿̃ ͜ʖ▀̿ ̿ ̃)

Do we have folks who have installed mics in their helmets before? I bet. I should find em because that sounds complicated x)
I've seen people sell sets.

Those hand signals are great, you could totally use sign language stuff too! There's some that many will understand (like the sign for "bullsh*t")

Do we have folks who have installed mics in their helmets before? I bet. I should find em because that sounds complicated x)
I've seen people sell sets.

Those hand signals are great, you could totally use sign language stuff too! There's some that many will understand (like the sign for "bullsh*t")
installing mics isn't hard you can just pic up a blue tooth transmitter on amazon and secure the mic in your helmet, put the speaker somewhere else. installing a system to hear better is hard tho.

When I ran into some members the other day and got introduced to this group, One of them was trying to explain how he built his armor while wearing the helmet. I had no idea what he was saying and the other members there were laughing and trying to tell him to take the helmet off. It was very funny and a silly first experience.

Yeah lol this is why I want to put a mic in my new helmet. Speaking and hearing in a helmet is next to impossible, and it can be really easy to lose one's voice shouting all day.

I'm now planning on creating a list of phrases and words to use to sound a bit more spartan/military style while in character but it'll mainly be words/abbreviations with their definitions to use whenever in character an example being for an odst that fought in New Mombasa "Man our CO was absolutely on our butt before the deployment in new mombasa."

Last edited:
Also including things that are from the Halo Universe ill definitely share it and create a thread for it later once its done!

I'm now planning on creating a list of phrases and words to use to sound a bit more spartan/military style while in character but it'll mainly be words/abbreviations with their definitions to use whenever in character an example being for an odst that fought in New Mombasa "Man our CO was absolutely on our a** before the deployment in new mombasa."
Please no swearing. Cons are family events, so best to keep things G rated.

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back