Pilotlicense complete MKVI build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update! Tonight I got the chance to start working on the details under the brim of the helmet and the sides.

The kiddo wearing the helmet before we started work for the evening.. (No, I don't let him outside when I'm working with the chemicals)

IMG_3052.JPG

This is the amount and mixture ratio that I have to mix up due to the high heat outside. This stuff hardens in 2 - 3 minutes in the Arizona heat!

IMG_3054.JPG

I used saran wrap to cover the helmet and put it inside the helmet. I didn't even really have to glue it in place. It pretty much held itself in place.

IMG_3060.JPG

Big mess! No worries, I planned on it getting everywhere, as I would be using a razor blade to clean it up while it was still in the rubbery stage of curing.

IMG_3061.JPG

IMG_3062.JPG

Looks like hell right now, but will be cleaned up in no time!

IMG_3063.JPG

IMG_3064.JPG

Here's the shield held in place by its own strength while the bondo cured.

IMG_3065.JPG

Some side details. This will be cleaned up a lot in the next few days. I could not, for the life of me, figure out how to stencil out the design with the quick drying bondo. My tendency was always to pull the card stock stencil up too early, making it kinda goo out and flow around while it was still virtually liquid state. When this stuff starts to harden, I have a period of about 3 - 5 seconds before it's too hard / thick to pull the stencil up. When it hardens to this point, pulling the stencil up usually pulls the curing bondo up around it, screwing everything up. Any ideas?

IMG_3067.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

I had to come inside because the darn mosquitoes are out in full force after the sun goes down. Here's where I left off for the night.

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3073.JPG

Heh, the SHOCKER REFLECTION.

IMG_3074.JPG

Awesome! I'm impressed! Things are shaping up really well!
That kid looks a lot like my bro, haha.

What do you plan to use for your air vents? Anything in mind so far?

Filed stuff down some more and did more cleaning up of the brim details.

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

So here's where I'm at now. I still keep going back to Cereal's build and telling myself this isn't even close to what he's done, so I'll probably keep working it to get closer. I know it won't be the same level of perfection, detail, and symmetry, but I want to at least get a little closer.

IMG_3081.JPG

Next up, I'm going to clean up the side pieces in preparation for the LED lights. If anyone knows what people usually use for the LED's, please let me know! Thanks!

Depending on what kind of electrical skills and what sort of budget you're on is going to vary what you use for your lights. The simplest thing to do is go to the dollar store and get some reading lights. There's a thread about this method somewhere, I can look for it if you want...
As a more expensive alternative you can wire up LED lights that can be purchased from radio shack or a similar place. These will have to have batteries and resistors and things like that. Help for that method can be found here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/26853-quot-Help!-quot-for-Electronics

The helm is coming along very well! I'm impressed by your work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back