poor man's master chief

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumgoot

So, I didn't really go anywhere with my cardboard marine build, though I would still be interested in building a marine at some point. Several people suggested that I simply switch over to foam, as that would give me much better results. The cardboard was just a stop gap until I made the investment into all the foam materials and tools (got 90% of it all from Harbor Freight(y)) Scaling was daunting to me, until I was told that all I need to do is use my cardboard test pieces as templates. That method has been working quite well for me so far. This is turning into a long introduction. Anyways, I have a Disguise Master Chief helmet, and I plan on building the suit out of foam. It is very generic (it looks like S-III) and I'm not going for screen-accurate. I want something quick and fast. That sounds like a recipe for disaster, I know, but it is actually going to quite well so far. The detail isn't amazing, but I'm still proud of it. Now for the photo dump!
IMG_2716.JPG

The template is actually the cardboard that I cut my marine chest plate out of. I noticed how it looked like Spartan armor, and I jerry-rigged it together. It looks stupid, but was actually helpful.
IMG_2715.JPG
IMG_2719.JPG
IMG_2721.JPG

then I took the marine chestplate and used that as a template
IMG_2722.JPG

then I heat-curved it, attached the sides and a strip of foam to hold the back together
IMG_2723.JPG
IMG_2725.JPG
IMG_2726.JPG
IMG_2727.JPG
I plan on painting this, but the sharpie marks where I would want lettering or scribed detail. It's generic, but I don't think people will have trouble recognizing me as the Chief because of the helmet.
IMG_2730.JPG
IMG_2731.JPG

The thighs are almost done as well, and I've made some adjustments and stuff to the chest.

I built the basic structure of the wrist pieces. Not much to look at. I plan on sealing everything with mod podge, and I've been gluing everything with hot glue, except for small details and sheet foam that I attach with super glue.

Okay, so I might be moving in a different direction here. My freaky-fast wrist pieces and thighs look pretty blocky, and my range of movement is reasonably restricted. Since I'm just going to be messing around at local events, I might just forgo the other armor parts for now. It will basically be the male version of a "skirt spartan" since I would just wear jeans and stuff with gloves, the helmet, and chest. Since I wanted this build done quickly, I would just do that, and then make proper arm and leg pieces later on if I so desired. I may change my mind. Notice that I attached the shoulders and a pair of kneepads to the chest using small straps. The kneepads work quite well as bicep armor.

IMG_2878.JPG
IMG_2879.JPG

I also modpodged it today, so I plan on getting paint on there in the near future as well.

Got some paint on there, and got some nice pictures. I'm not sure if I will ever finish it, but I'm happy with the result so far, and that's certainly motivation. Hopefully I can field it at some local football games or events for fun.:D Thanks for the help and advice everyone!
IMG_1526.JPG
IMG_1528.JPG
IMG_1530.JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1570.JPG

You’ve got better control then I do. If I start a project I couldn’t stop half way. - I would HAVE to finish my suit! Lol I hope you eventually finish it man, it’s the most rewarding feeling.

You’ve got better control then I do. If I start a project I couldn’t stop half way. - I would HAVE to finish my suit! Lol I hope you eventually finish it man, it’s the most rewarding feeling.

Well, that sounds like a good problem to have:D Thanks!

So actually, I've started work on "finishing" the suit much sooner that I originally anticipated. I've built the shins, I've rigged up a belt/groin system, and I built thighs for it. Hopefully it will turn out alright and I can get some nice pics.

Okay. So here are some pictures. I would say it is "basically" finished, but it could be tweaked or overhauled. At this point I hope that I can make it through halloween and a few local events with it. For that, I think it will be fine. Then I have plenty of time to refine it or move on to other projects. I've definitely learned some good things with this build though.

If I ever build Spartan armor again, I want to make sure that I start out with a solid undersuit. I really didn't know what I was going to use. Right now I'm using a black shirt that is too large, black sweatpants with the legs tucked into socks, and a pair of underpants with the groin, butt, and belt pieces glued to it. The thighs were very frustrating, I attached them to the underwear with straps. They still don't fit perfect. I'm nearly out of hot glue so I'll need to get more if I'm going to do any adjustments.

My black tennishoes should work as they are, I was attaching foam to them, but I might not finish that. I'll have to pay special attention to the thighs and shins next time, my first "Roblox" shins were not going to work so I had to curve some foam in order to make cylinderical ones. I then kept pulling them on and off, cutting off the parts that snagged until they fit relatively well. They grip with elastic, and are held up by the straps glued to the underwear. The shins are my previous attempt at wristpieces, with some modification. They can knock into each other, but at least they stay on.

I don't have kneepads or wrists. When building shins and thighs, they need to be crafted with some precision, otherwise they're not going to fit or look right. I was able to get away with a blocky chestplate without too many problems. I should get a balaclava, I'm using a modified drysuit hood in the pictures. It looks great when I'm not wearing the helmet, but it is hot and extremely tight when I pull it on or off.

So it was a good learning experience! I do like how my chest plate came out, as well as the kneepad biceps. If I wanted to make a revised version I think it could be a lot better. Thanks to everyone in the 405th for answering my questions and helping me to get started! For those who cosplay spartans, my hat is off to you! Just fumbling around my house in order to get pictures, to show my family, and to test the fit is exhausting! True Halo fans indeed.-mumgoot

IMG_1640.JPG
IMG_1649.JPG
IMG_1657.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back