Possible New Reinforcemnet Method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gman4757

Hi, this is my first post, and I am glad to be am member, but let me get down to my (possibly stupid) question: can you crosshatch clear duct-tape on the inside of a piece of card-stock before you actually assemble it for pre-emptive reinforcement and then once you've assembled it bondo it or something? Please, go easy, as this is my first post. Thanks! :p

welcome to the 405th , the sticky tape , although it might work , is probably not your best option . but it wouldn't hurt to try it anyway.

are you talking about making the paper stiffer?or do you mean about gluing the seams? im not sure what you mean by reinforce.

If you use duct tape and then try to bondo/f-glass over top you might run into 2 possible problems.

First - F-Glass and Bondo may have a hard time sticking to the non sticky side of duct tape. You may get alot of lifting and that will offer no solid support.

Second - Both F-Glass and Bondo heat up as they cure. This may cause the duct tape to become loose as heat melts/softens the adhesive.

Just my 2 cents.....hopefully some more experienced builders can prove/disprove my theory :D

Wow, I am amazed at the response I got, and thank you all for the welcome. What I meant was, if you print out all the pieces, then lay the ducttape on the inside, assemble it, then harden(fiberglass or bondo) it from the outside, would that work?

For my helmet I tried using medical tap since it was made of cloth but what I found is, although it worked very well it didnt do as good of a job in the toughness department as fiber glass. Since it was just the helmet and it doesnt get banged around I left it but the rest is and is going to be 2 layers of fiberglass.

gman4757 said:
What I meant was, if you print out all the pieces, then lay the ducttape on the inside, assemble it, then harden(fiberglass or bondo) it from the outside, would that work?

if u fg or bondo the outside, you will be covering the details .. you will need to dremel the details back . I was thinking doing the same way but it will make it harder. So i just stick to FG (1 layer) and rondo (1 layer) the insides ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back